2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2007 3:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fw mx editing question

Level 7
      I know FW 2004 is primarily dedicated to web graphics. However...if I have
      a high resolution photo...can I work with it in FW...i.e....size, masks,
      photo effects, etc, without sacrificing any of the files quality or
      integrity as long as I do not export it using any of the export settings ?

Thanks, Tim R

• 1. Re: Fw mx editing question
          Level 7
          Yes, absolutely.

Note: often hi-res images are CMYK and FW does not support this mode (RGB
          only) so your colors may get converted depending on the source image

--
          Alex

"Tim" <trinaz@cox.net> wrote in message
          news:fdpb30$mma$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I know FW 2004 is primarily dedicated to web graphics. However...if I have
          >a high resolution photo...can I work with it in FW...i.e....size, masks,
          >photo effects, etc, without sacrificing any of the files quality or
          >integrity as long as I do not export it using any of the export settings ?
          >
          > Thanks, Tim R
          >

• 2. Re: Fw mx editing question
            Level 7
            Tim wrote:
            > I know FW 2004 is primarily dedicated to web graphics. However...if I have
            > a high resolution photo...can I work with it in FW...i.e....size, masks,
            > photo effects, etc, without sacrificing any of the files quality or
            > integrity as long as I do not export it using any of the export settings ?
            >
            > Thanks, Tim R

FW doesn't handle large files fast. PS is by far the preferred
            application for photographic manipulation.

That said, for Web use, FW does a very efficient job at compressing
            jpegs. Some PS plugins work with FWMX2004, many newer ones don't.

FW will do many of the things you need to do with a photo. It does not
            know about color profiles, however, so printing is a bit hit and miss.

If you want to save the manipulated file, DO export the file under a new
            name. DON'T "save" the file or it will write over top of the original.
            Export is the way to do it.

And as noted, CMYK files look weird, but most (all?) photos are RGB.

DN