11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 3:46 PM by dmarlt

How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter

rs2011

Please forgive me if this has already been asked; I tried searching the forums but couldn't find an answer.

I am on Windows XP SP3 and have installed DNG Converter 5.6.0.148. The installer ran ok but I don't see an uninstall link the Add/Remove Programs.

Is there some official way of uninstalling it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

The DNG converter is a single executable file.  There are no registry entries.  All you have to do is locate the file and delete it.  Because it is such a simple file, I keep it around just in case I run in to a situation where I need to convert an image because I don't have direct raw support.  But it is very easy to get rid of.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
            sokeri

Is it the same procedure with Mac? So you´ll just have to move the Adobe DNG Coverter -icon to trash?

• 4. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
              Greg Barnett Level 2

Yes, that will do it.

• 6. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
                M G L

Unfortunately the response from Mr. Hess is incorrect and uninformed.  The DNG Converter installer does install much more than the single executable in the Adobe program folder which Mr. Hess refers to.  If he were to use that single executable on a machine where the DNG Converter was not installed he would quickly find out that it would not work.  It relies on the camera and lens profiles that are installed (on a Windows OS anyway) in Application Data > Adobe > CameraRaw.  That Adobe has created an installer (which installs so many files) without an uninstaller is rather irresponsible (to say the least).  Instructions to manually delete the files and folders installed may vary, given folder naming conventions in various versions of Windows, but on Windows XP deleting Adobe DNG Converter.exe and the CameraRaw folder (as mentioned earlier) would delete all the files that are apparently installed.

• 7. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

M G L wrote:

Unfortunately the response from Mr. Hess is incorrect and uninformed.  The DNG Converter installer does install much more than the single executable in the Adobe program folder which Mr. Hess refers to.  If he were to use that single executable on a machine where the DNG Converter was not installed he would quickly find out that it would not work.  It relies on the camera and lens profiles that are installed (on a Windows OS anyway) in Application Data > Adobe > CameraRaw.  That Adobe has created an installer (which installs so many files) without an uninstaller is rather irresponsible (to say the least).  Instructions to manually delete the files and folders installed may vary, given folder naming conventions in various versions of Windows, but on Windows XP deleting Adobe DNG Converter.exe and the CameraRaw folder (as mentioned earlier) would delete all the files that are apparently installed.

The question was how do you uninstall the DNG converter.  The DNG converter (itself) is a single executable file for which no uninstall program is required to remove.  Even though someone may wish to remove the DNG converter, the profiles that you speak of would probably still want to be retained because they are utilized by Camera Raw and Lightroom if it is installed.  So I did not misspeak.  If someone wants to remove the DNG converter, all they have to do is delete it.

• 8. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

Additionally, the DNG converter does not "rely", as you put it, on the camera and lens profiles.  The installer for the DNG converter is simply another vehicle Adobe uses to get those profiles distributed.  Go ahead and try this.  Simply copy the DNG converter to a flash drive and move it to a computer where the DNG converter has never been installed.  Copy the DNG converter to that computer and use it.  Surprise!  It WILL work as designed.

• 9. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
                      dmarlt

But the question is that: Adobe DNG Converter is almost 50MB, After installation, the single file just less than 10 MB, where are the additional size?

• 10. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
                        JimHess-OxQsWQ Level 2

No, the DNG converter is not 50 MB.  The installer program is, but it contains much more than just the DNG converter.  It contains all the instructions on how to install, it contains the updated lens profiles and camera profiles, etc..  Although the DNG converter does not rely on these files, the program that you use to process your DNG files DOES rely on them.

• 11. Re: How to uninstall Adobe DNG Converter
                          dmarlt Level 1

thank you for your Swift  reply. Anyway, I give it up. I will use LR to read on RAW  files.