4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2007 7:21 AM by bregent

Removing file extensions association with Dreamweaver

ShadeOfRed
      I installed the trial version of Dreamweaver CS3 and I'm sure I was not asked about associating .NET application files with DW and I'm sure I asked NOT to associated ASP.NET application files with DW and yet after DW installation I find that cs, vb, config, etc files are now being opened by DW (while before they were correctly opened by Visual Studio) . I searched among the preferences tabs for a way to remove the file extensions association but have not found a way to do it.

Why do I think this behavior is wanted?
      Do you think that developers will appreciate these dirty and stupid tricks?

Bob

• 1. Re: Removing file extensions association with Dreamweaver
          Level 7
          I can't answer your last two questions (and they are not appropriate for
          this forum - no one can answer why YOU think something "is wanted", nor
          are comments amount "stupid and dirty tricks" productive.) To answer
          your question about removing the file extension association - there is
          no option. You can't "give away" an association without something else
          taking it's place. Rather than tell DW to give them up, go to the
          application you want to use and tell it to take over the association.
          There are several ways to do this from within the Windows shell itself
          also. One method is to right-click one of the files, choose Open With >
          Choose Program, then check the box to "always use this program" and
          browse to the application you want to use instead of DW.

--
          Alec
          Adobe Community Expert
          • 2. Removing file extensions association with Dreamweaver
            ShadeOfRed Level 1
            Ever heard of rethoric questions? They are questions meant not to be answered but made only for the purpose of stating what a person thinks.
            I only know that during install I am sure I unchecked the ASP.NET files association and what happened is that asax, ascx, ashx, asmx, aspx, config, cs, disco, resx and vb files where yet associated to DW. I'm sure it can't be an error and I suspect that it is a unfair way of leading devs to *try out* DW for ASP.NET development.

Bob

• 3. Re: Removing file extensions association with Dreamweaver
              Level 7
              What nonsense.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"ShadeOfRed" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fdt09k$ria$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Ever heard of rethoric questions? They are questions meant not to be
              > answered
              > but made only for the purpose of stating what a person thinks.
              > I only know that during install I am sure I unchecked the ASP.NET files
              > association and what happened is that asax, ascx, ashx, asmx, aspx, axd,
              > config, cs, disco, resx and vb files where yet associated to DW. I'm sure
              > it
              > can't be an error and I suspect that it is a unfair way of leading devs to
              > *try
              > out* DW for ASP.NET development.
              >
              > Bob
              >
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Removing file extensions association with Dreamweaver
                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                >I'm sure it can't be an error and I suspect that it is a unfair way of leading devs to *try out* DW for ASP.NET development.

Now that is funny!! I thought for a moment you were being serious. Very good.