4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 5:08 PM by the_wine_snob

How to Solve Morgan Multimedia Codec trial offer dialog box in PSE 6.0?

rbeerb

In the Organizer view of PhotoShop Elements 6.0, all my video links are marked with a broken video film clip image.  When I click on the link, the video does not appear; instead, i see a popup dialog box that says "The trial period has expired!  You can buy the codec online at: www.morgan-multimedia.com". 

Why do i have to buy a codec?  When i first bought PSE 6.0, videos used to work fine.  I'm an infrequent user of the software, and have ignored this issue so far.  Is Morgan Multimedia working with Adobe?  I'd like to solve this -- thanks for your help.

Bob

• 1. Re: How to Solve Morgan Multimedia Codec trial offer dialog box in PSE 6.0?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, there might be more answers in the Photoshop Elements forum, but first some background on CODEC's. This ARTICLE will give you the basics.

Adobe, and a lot of other software companies, offer trials of various 3rd party products, which will work within them. Pinnacle is probably the best (or worst, depending on one's perspective), in that most of the Transitions and Effects are trial only. To use them without a watermark, one must buy the packs. Adobe does similar with PrPro, where one gets 3 trial uses of the Minnetonka SurCode plug-in to Export DD 5.1 SS Audio. After that, one can buy the plug-in from within PrPro, and get a US$50 discount over the SurCode Web site.

On many Adobe programs' installation discs, there are 3rd part trials. Some can be bought with an "Adobe user discount," and some are for the same prices as on the mfgr's Web site. It is common practice.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - here is the link to the PSElements Forum.

• 2. Re: How to Solve Morgan Multimedia Codec trial offer dialog box in PSE 6.0?
            rbeerb Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  I will buy the codec from Morgan, I guess.  Given that I downloaded the software, I don't have a disc.  When I search the Adobe site, there's no mention of this company being a partner.  And if you go to the Morgan site, it's very amateur looking (making me think it's a piece of malware).

• 3. Re: How to Solve Morgan Multimedia Codec trial offer dialog box in PSE 6.0?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Given that I downloaded the software, I don't have a disc

Burn that download to a CDR so you don't lose it !!!

• 4. Re: How to Solve Morgan Multimedia Codec trial offer dialog box in PSE 6.0?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with John T's suggestion. Also, write your S/N on both the disk and on the jacket/case.

As for the partner aspect, I doubt that you will find New Blue (supply some Transitions and Effects to PrE, though most of their portfolio is for sale), NIK (supply some trials for PS, but I believe that full use requires a purchase, plus they offer software beyond what is/was included as a trial), many VST plug-in mfgrs. that have plug-ins in the Goodies folders in Audition, and tons of suppliers of Effects for AfterEffects. I also do not recall seeing Minnetonka, the supplier of SurCode listed as a partner, though there is a three-use trial for the DD 5.1 SS plug-in, included in PrPro.

Now, before you buy the Morgan (a good MJPEG CODEC, BTW), another very popular provider of an MJPEG CODEC is MainConcept. They provide most of the included CODEC's for both PrE and PrPro. I believe that they have a trial version. I do not know how they compare, but users seem very pleased with either. Just want to give you a second choice.

Good luck,

Hunt