1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 9:08 PM by pangritt

CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7

twnty Level 1

I've been using CS3 on my Windows 7 machine for a few months now but then my programs wouldn't open. After trying a few things without success, I decided to uninstall and then re-install it.

The disc runs and it shows that each of the programs is installed but at the bottom it says "CS3 premium didn't install." Whenever I try to open one of the programs, I get a message saying the license has expired.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, how did you resolve it? I've tried all of the suggestions in the knowledge base, but nothing has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
          twnty Level 1

I've tried it, it hasn't helped.

• 3. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
            jwague Level 1

I'm having a similar problem. I've been running CS3 Web Pemium on a Windows 7 64-bit system for a couple of months. After some updates yesterday,  I received the "licensing is not working" message and was told to uninstall and reinstall the product. I uninstalled but now can only get as far as installing Acrobat. The rest of the components all say "installation failed". And this is on my only production machine since my other system developed a bad motherboard! I'll probably try calling support tomorrow, but this is really frustrating.

• 4. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
              adobedo Level 1

nope. still nothing works. interesting that my rant on Adobe was removed.  interesting that the adobe reader installs just fine, but nothing else works. maybe i should get my money back.

• 5. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                twnty Level 1

That's exactly what happened to me. Everything was working perfectly for a few months and then there was a series of updates and I got the "Photoshop cannot be opened..." message. I've tried everything under the sun, with no success.

• 6. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                  jwague Level 1

The saga continues...

Keep in mind I'm a software engineer by trade with over 40 years of experience... so it's even more frustrating dealing with technical support that has no idea what to do with background information on the situation (they only follow scripts).

Adobe support (such as it is) eventually said "we've tried everything I know (in my script) and you need to upgrade from CS3 to CS4 - that'll solve the problem".

Since I was considering upgrading at some point, I went ahead and purchased the downloadable CS4 upgrade for Web Premium this morning.

Installation failed - in much the same way CS3 installation fails. It manages to install Acrobat and some of the smaller items but none of the major components. Now what? There's no one to talk to except the script jockeys in India. And they eventually run out of scripts to follow.

I was trying to ask if it's possible that the possibility I installed as a local machine user and I'm now trying to as a domain user (same username using same profile - however) could cause this issue. Given that running the clean script messed up the ACL information for Office 2007, I thought maybe it's all about permissions and Adobe didn't test a sufficient number of scenarios (a given anyway). Again, the support person had no idea what I was talking about.

So.... I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows 7 and starting from scratch. I'm just concerned that if I don't perfom the installation in the "right" environment (before or after joining the domain) I'm just wasting more of my time.

I need someone at Adobe to talk to that actually knows something about this problem.

• 7. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                    pjbackman Level 1

I've had the same issue, right down the line.

Installed it on a clean Windows 7 64-bit install, and it worked fine. 45 or so days later, I get the "licensing" error, and I decide to uninstall and reinstall.

Now I'm stuck at the "needs AdobePDF.dll" step every time and no matter which fix/solution I've tried as recommended by Adobe, it fails out on all installs but the Acrobat, which still doesn't run when opened.

I'm not motivated enough to reinstall the OS on this machine just to get another 45 days, but I am thoroughly frustrated by the lack of actual useful help on this issue.

I might have even considered an eariler than planned CS4 upgrade, but it sounds like that's not much help either.

• 8. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                      jwague Level 1

Just today I performed an OS reinstall. I took disk image snapshots (using Paragon) after each phase of reinstalling my system. I performed the following (in order):

1. Clean install of Windows 7 64 bit
                      2. Applied all Windows updates
                      3. Disk snapshot
                      4. Joined the "new" system to my windows domain (SBS 2003 - connect computer)
                      5. Disk snapshot
                      6. Installed my new CS4 Web Premium upgrade - this succeeded
                      7. Updated all CS4 applications
                      8. Disk snapshot
                      9. Installed Office 2007 and all Office updates
                      10. Set up My Documents for off-line files
                      11. Disk snapshot.

So far, things have continued to work after each step. I believe CS3 hosed my system when I performed my CS3 updates. I may have originally installed before joined my domain and perhaps trying to update using my domain profile had something to do with the initial licensing error issue that started all my problems. And Customer Support told me to just uninstall/reinstall CS3 after that when Technical Support said I should have tried other things first. But I really had no confidence for anything the script-jockey said.

It certainly was the fact that I had problems with CS3 first that I couldn't even get CS4 to install. And don't even try the CleanScript unless you perform a full OS backup first. That made changes to the security settings in my Office 2007 installation.

• 9. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                          jschmid78 Level 1

I just encountered this problem this morning.  Not good timing as I'm wrapping up for a tradeshow and I leave for it on Friday.  Has there been a solution found?  This is quite a pain.

JoDee

• 10. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                            benmatthews72 Level 1

I just experienced this today.

I'm stuck at the point that no components beyong Acrobat will install ... looking for the .dll file apparently?

Has anyone found a real solution to this yet?  I wonder, did this occur as a result of a Windows update?

• 11. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The title of this thread is RE-INSTALL on Win 7. Are you reinstalling the software or trying to install for the first time? Is Win 7 a clean install or an upgrade from Vista?

Bob

• 12. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                benmatthews72 Level 1

===The title of this thread is RE-INSTALL on Win 7. Are you reinstalling the software or trying to install for the first time? Is Win 7 a clean install or an upgrade from Vista? ===

Yes, I was replying to the original post which clearly said CS3 won't RE-INSTALL on Win 7" and I said I experienced THAT.  I don't understand why the assumption is that I don't know what I'm talking about?  Are people normally treated that way here?

Let me clarify ... I had CS3 installed and operating on a clean install of Windows 7 on a new machine.  I received a notice that the license stopped working.  I tried a fix from the Adobe site that attempted to re-set the license via a command prompt with no luck.  So I followed the next suggested item in the message, uninstalling and reinstalling.  When attempting to reinstall it would stall out at a point that it looked for the .dll file and then it would install acrobat but all other components failed to install.

I am assuming this occurred during a recent Windows update.  And from what I can tell, no one has identified a solution to this problem yet.

• 13. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7

Have you tried the CS3 clean script?

Bob

• 14. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                    urinal-fS6nU9 Level 1

any ideas?

got the same problem... just bought a new sony vaio laptop and after a day cs3 stoped working saying there's a licence problem

now i'm stuck with the problem that setup wont't run install ... windows 7 64 bit home premium system...

• 15. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                      allysonsaad Level 1

I have tried every possible solution over and over again (that's because Adobe tech support keeps having me redo steps over and over again). I've spent over 40 hours on-line with tech support--to the point of them messing around with my registry and screwing up my entire computer twice (I restored to an earlier point to get it fixed). I've called their office in California and was told I was put through to a customer customer satisfaction person, who told me they were putting me through to a senior tech manager after no less than 7 times they failed to call me back after supposedly "escalating" this to senior tech people twice. They also keep opening and closing the case to make it appear as if it is a new problem or that it hasn't gone on as long as it has, but I have taken screen shots of every step and have sent screens to One Note so they are date and time stamped.

As of the 23rd, the purportedly "senior" tech advised me to do the SAME STEPS (uninstall, CleanScript, delete a number of folders/files, and reinstall) that I have done no less than FIVE TIMES already. Beware on the CleanScript - it screws up your computer. Did it to mine 3 of the 5 times.

I am NOT doing the SAME STEPS OVER AGAIN. I want a real fix by a REAL senior technician. This is RIDICULOUS.

They have also tried to tell me after everything fails that CS3 is not supported by Adobe on Windows 7 64-bit--except I have a date and timestamped screen shot of THEIR website that said it IS SUPPORTED. I show this to the technician, and then he tells me to do the same series of steps again.

Honestly I think their plan is to wear us all down until we just give up and buy an expensive new upgrade. If anyone has any real solution other than more of the same cleanscript garbage, please, please let us know!

• 16. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                        Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

Hi Allyson,

Pardon me if i did not get your name correctly. I have sent you couple of private messages on this forum and did not get any response from your side. Please let us know if you are still seeing this CS3 installation issue on your Windows7 machine and installer team would be willing to take a look at your machine(through connect meeting) and help out in resolving the issue.

Just wondering if you are doing installation from physical disks or have copied the media to hard disk and then performing the installation. Sometimes, problems occur when disks are old and DVD ROM fails to read some data from DVD and installation fails.

Thanks,

Tahseen

• 17. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                          allysonsaad Level 1

Hi, yes I did receive one message and would like help. I just assumed no one would be working over the weekend. I am doing the installation with the disk, but one of the techs had me copy the files from the disk to the hard drive. Once he did that, however, that made my disk unreadable! I restored my computer to an earlier point and am able to reinstall from the disk again - but still receive the same licensing error (screen shot attached here).

• 18. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7

Attachments are currently disabled. Ise the little camera icon to embed the screenshot in your post.

Bob

• 19. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                              Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

So that means installation is now working fine and there is no error on Thank you screen. Issue is there with the launch of applications. Please send amt.log and alm.log files from temp folder to my email id which i sent you through personal message.

• 20. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                aroczy Level 1

I would like to find a fix too!  My computer running Windows 7, 32-bit.  Had the same scenario after using Creative Suite CS3 on Windows 7 since December 2009, then on June 4, 2010, I open InDesign to make some changes and it tells me I have a AMT catastrophic Subsystem licensing failure and that I need to un-install and re-install.  Well after doing that, talking to Adobe tech support all over the world, spending countless hours on the phone with them "un-installing and re-installing", as well as them looking at my "log" files using Adobe Connect and changing some things around I still don't have it installed and it is now July 20th.  The one adobe tech support guy told me the only solution was to pay the $800 and upgrade to CS5, since that will fix my issues.  Well, unfortunately I cannot afford that.  I am very saddened by the poor support service of Adobe not backing up their products even if they are only 2 years old.  I would really appreciate talking to someone that can help me and that is NOT going to run me in the same circles of what I've tried.

• 21. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                  -reflective- Level 1

I am having a simular issue after uninstalling the CS5 demo.  Tried all the cleaner tools but CS3 won'r reinstall.  It goes through the motions but after each attempt it fails on all items.  This is Windows 7 issue because my laptop dind't have this issue come up when I went through the same process.

• 22. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                    allysonsaad Level 1

Issue has been resolved by Mohammad Tahseen, who emailed me after I posted in the forums. He was highly professional and knowledgable about this problem, and never failed to follow-up and keep me informed of progress as he was working on it.

• 23. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                      -reflective- Level 1

Thank you for the info and update!

I have a project due and decided to do a fresh install of Windows.  I was able to reinstall without any issues last night.  Computer is even faster. 

• 24. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                        scso1502 Level 1

Allyson,

What was the resolution on this?

Many of us are still having problems makign CS3 work on Windows 7 as of late, and I'm hoping what he did for you will work for others. I installed CS3 on a freshly loaded Windows 2008 Ultimate Edition PC yesterday After installing it, programs like Dreamweaver and Bridge appear to start with disk activity  but they never appear on the screen. They show up as running in the Task Manager but do nothing. I'm hoping the issue might be related to yours in some way.

If not, I'll do a seperate post.

Thank you

• 25. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                          allysonsaad Level 1

He did resolve it but unfortunately I do not know exactly how.

• 26. Re: CS3 Won't Run on RAID 1 System Under Windows 7 64-bit
                                                            scso1502 Level 1

Thanks for replying.

I discovered something interesting during my hours of research and testing to fix the starting problem I was dealing with on CS3 after reloading my PC. The only change I made to my system before reloading system from scratch with Windows 7 64-bit and CS3 was that I added a second identical 750 GB WD "Black Edition" SATA hardrive and set the two drives to use RAID 1 as a mirror instead of the stand-alone drive I had (Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P with on-board SATA RAID).

After reloading my PC, none of the components of CS3 would completely load. The programs would appear to start by way of a rolling mouse cursor but nothing would ever actually display on the screen to show they were actually running. I could go to Windows Task Manager and see the component I attempted to use was listed and had to kill the dead process there to end it.

After exhausting research and tons of tests, I decided to reload the system on a single hardrive drive again and the CS3 works perfectly again. So, it appears that CS3 doesn't like to play on at least some RAID 1 systems like mine. I hope this helps the poor saps that find this in the future so they don't have to deal with the hours of frustration I did.

Warm Regards,

Mike Vail

• 27. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                              allysonsaad Level 1

I attempted to write down everything he was doing, but it took hours each day. You apparently have far more computer expertise than I do. I am not even sure what you mean by using one drive as a "mirror" for another. Although I have a so-called "gaming" computer, I chose it for speed (accessing multiple files and screens at once) and massive storage space. I do an enormous amount of medical/historical/other types of research and writing and I was worried my poor old Toshiba Satellite would implode every time I used it!

But I can certainly attest to the frustration level, especially when dealing with one tech after another at Adobe who would have me re-do every single, laborious, hours-long step over and over--even though I would tell them I'd already done it x number of times before!

-Allyson Saad

“A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.”  -Lysander Spooner

• 28. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                Techmom77 Level 1

PLEASE! If anyone has solved this problem post the solution here. I have the same problem too and cannot get it fixed. We've tried to uninstall cs3 because it kept saying the license is no longer valid but it wouldn't uninstall so we manual deleted the files, then ran the adobe cleaner script. Now when we try to run install from the DVD it says initializing files and then it just stops - no error just nothing. We are completely stuck and I am not even sure if purchasing an update would work either.

Here is a link to something we tried without success...http://forum.mininova.org/index.php?showtopic=235021302

• 29. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                  scso1502 Level 1

Hello Techmom77,

Read the below post and see if it helps:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401528.html

There appear to be some solutions for your install problem in that post under the section titled,

"Incomplete Installation"

Good luck and let us know how it goes so others might benefit from your efforts. Believe me, there are a lot of people just like you pulling their hair out over this who are receiving poor or no support from Adobe to get them back in action. Very sad considering the money we spent on the software.

Kind Regards and hang in there.

• 30. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                    HMStork11 Level 1

Ya Mohammad, you have the solution to installing CS3 Suite on Windows 7? Please send it to me at <hajimokhtar3@gmail.com>

From

HMStork11

aged 68 (ustad)

• 31. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                      HMStork11 Level 1

Adobe is full of BULL. I called them up...waste of time. someone should take them to court....selling goods that do not work with windows 7 or maybe it is the other way round...windows 7 needs to do something?

• 32. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                        scso1502 Level 1

HMStork11,

Can you describe the symptoms of the problem you're having with the install of CS3 on your system and include your system's hardware and operating system info in your reply?  I've been successful in getting CS3 running on Windows 7 and would like to help if I can. If we discuss it here, others may benefit from the conversation as well.

Hang in there,

Mike Vail

Windsor, Ca. USA

• 33. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS 3 was not designed with Windows 7 in mind. In fact it came out years before Windows 7. CS 3 came out in 2007. Five years ago.

• 34. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7

Not true, Mike.

CS3 was tested and supported under Windows 7. I never had a problem with it.

Bob

MichaelKazlow <mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:38 PM

>

Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7

created by MichaelKazlow

<http://forums.adobe.com/people/MichaelKazlow> in /Creative Suites

Windows/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4965610#4965610

• 36. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                              HMStork11 Level 1

It is true that CS3 came out before windows 7. Initially, I was able to install it on windows 7 after it went through some gliches. It worked well but suddenly stoped. Can't remember the message. I then tried to uninstall itbut it could not do so. Reinstalling it was also not possible. It initiated and then stoped. I look up the web and tried the clean tool etc and finally deleted the files manually. I spoke to Adobe online and they told me that they can't help me. However, it works well on Windows XP. Thanks.

HMStork

68 yrs old and still going strong

• 37. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                                HMStork11 Level 1

This is a follow-up to my last response. I am now using a brand new Acer HDMI Aspire with an OEM Windows 7....it could be a Windows7 problem? One would think that Adobe should come up with a patch to resolve products that can't be uploaded to win7. They come out with new versions every now and then and not every one can purchase them unless you are a professional running a business. However, I have Photoshop Elements 11 (not installed yet). Thanks

• 38. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7

For the most part when new versions are release the old versions do not get any updates. About the only exception to this would be for security patches.

Bob

• 39. Re: CS3 won't re-install on Windows 7
                                                                                    HMStork11 Level 1

I think the real culprit in this senario is Norton. Everything was working fine. When my Norton 360 expired I switched to Norton Internet Security and when the unistall and install took place I began to face problems. Every time I started a program it produced a box which said install Office 2007 (example)...and when through the motions of an already install application running well for over a year. I am sure the Norton buggered up my whole system. They have a habit of taking over your existence and half the time they don't listen to you but just go ahead doing what they want on an automated basis!

1 2 Previous Next