8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 2:18 PM by the_wine_snob

spontaneous audio flatline

wyrden

Hello,

I am using Adobe Premiere CS3 on WindowsXP.  Here is the issue:

When I add audio to the timeline it works perfectly fine.  Everything is koshur while I do some editing and get it all just right.  Then I close the file and when I reopen it the sound in the audio has been nullified.  It has literally flatlined and there is simply no audio.  This has happened repeatedly with different clips and there is no pattern as to when it occurs, other than when I reopen the file.

The first time it happened, when I dragged it from the project menu the unaltered clip was still mute, so I thought somehow something had gone wrong with the clip.  I re-imported it but it was exactly the same.  This time, when I dragged the track to the timeline it had it's audio still, but I would have to completely start over editing if I can't restore the original copy, and I don't have any reason to believe the same thing won't happen a fourth time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm attaching an image of the edited audio and below it the same file reinserted.

• 1. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

1. Target the audio track that has the problem clip.
          2. Put the CTI somewhere over the problem clip.
          3. Perform a Match Frame operation. (T-key)

Your audio should return.  In CS3, the problem was caused by copying and pasting clips from one project to another.  There may be other causes as well.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Did the keyboard shortcut change, or am I just mis-remembering it? I thought that it was the M-key?

Thanks,

Hunt

(Maybe I just need to get MY memory checked)

[Edit] Just checked it out. You are correct (as usual), and I am wrong! Never mind...

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

No, you're right.  It's the M-key.  Sorry about that.

I know it was changed from the T-key, but I didn't remember in which

version it was changed.

Thanks,

-Jeff

• 4. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, in PrPro it was still the T-key (that is what I checked). Glad that you pointed this out, as I was about to go looking for all of my references to the M-key for later versions and correct those - whew, saved me a bunch of Searching.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 5. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
                  wyrden Level 1

Thanks very much guys, I appreciate your help.  Cheers.

• 6. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, for the $64,000 Question, did it work for you?

Sorry to get side-tracked on the M, and the T keys, but PrPro did change things. I just could not recall when and from what to what. Jeff nailed it for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
                      wyrden Level 1

Well to be honest I figured out that the clips having the problem were ones I'd been copy-pasting between two projects in order to experiment, so I just dragged the audio back to the timeline and started fresh.  I haven't tried the above yet but since it fits the problem I'm confident it's on the right track and next I get a chance that's what I intend to do.

The copy/paste thing really threw me, though, because I'd been doing the same with the video clips (sans audio) for a while already without any such issue.  It seems to only effect audio.

• 8. Re: spontaneous audio flatline
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, Copy/Paste is a known culprit. The big problem is that it so often seems to have worked fine. Things look good in many cases, UNTIL - that can be as simple as a Render, or maybe it just comes from time. Boom - gone! Now, sometimes, the Audio goes flatline on Paste, so the user realizes that something went wrong. Other times, it might not be for an hour.

Good luck,

Hunt