4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 7:56 AM by humblepotato

Text in a concentric circle

humblepotato

Hi

I am trying to create a wheel similar to the image below except I need three segments instead of twelve. I also need a few lines of text for each segment but I'm not sure how best to insert this. I have tried using the 'Polar Grid Tool' and using the 'Type on path' tool, however I'm not able to type within one segment / arc without the text going all the way around the circle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I may go about this? (Hope that's clear!)

Thanks in advance

http://boingboing.net/images/wwuddsc00658.jpg

• 1. Re: Text in a concentric circle
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

doofy,

Depending on whether the type (text) is supposed to follow circular arcs, you may:

1) Create concetntric circles with the inner and outer diameter desired;

2) Create a straight path from the centre following one of the borders and extending past the outer diameter, and create rotated copies (you may create a double in the opposite direction and just rotate both and then delete the unwanted ones);

3) Pathfinder>Divide;

Now you have the individual boxes; you may create the type, turn it (you know the angle), and place it, possibly centred in each box; or more likely, you want bent type, in which case you may:

4) Create concentric circles (somewhere else) with appropriate intermediate diameters and cut them in the same way as 2) - 3), and then use the Scissors Tool to cut the individual arcs, and delete the surplus;

5) Move the arcs to fit the boxes;

6) Set Paragraph to Align Center and use Type on Path on the arcs.

There may be a less silly way.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text in a concentric circle
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For just three pieces, I would set the text normally and position it near the top of the circle, then apply a Warp using the Arc envelope, eyeballing to approximate the correct bend. Repeat on the other two pieces of text, rotate them in 120° increments and arrange.

• 3. Re: Text in a concentric circle
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The three groups ar easy once you think about it.

Back to the polar grid tool.

set it to the diameter you require.

set the radial dividers to 3 and the concentric circles to "0"

draw an ellipse the size you want the inner diameter to be

align the two using the align panel (center vertical and then centered horizontally.

select the inner circle and and the polar grid object and click on theLive paint Bucket tool to turn it into Live Paint Group

you can fill any section with any swatch you want including a fill or stroke of none.

Very easy to do this with the Live Paint group. (Notice I filled the center sections with a fill of none.)

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 9.04.41 AM.png

The text is  described before if you want to make the text curved and i would think you want to do this with only tree sections because of the amount of curve the sections require.

You make to concentric circles that will reflect the amount of leading between the two text lines you need ad the size you require to properly place it in
              the sections.

you position those two concentric circles over the sectioned circle that you made as a live paint group.

Lock the live paint group

with the scissor tool you cut the concentric circles at the sections radial dividers

then turn them into text paths

then pair the two in each section by making them text threads Type>Thread Text>Create

Now type your text for each section. You can do this with two triangles if you want the text straight

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 8.36.27 AM.png

• 4. Re: Text in a concentric circle
                humblepotato Level 1

Thanks very much all! The thread text tool was very helpful.

If I could create an arc of splines within a polar grid with several concentric circles inside and thread the text together that would be ideal but my knowledge is far too limited to achieve this!

Thanks again.