3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 12:24 PM by Sean_Wilson

playing external mov files

vjcapone

I have been working on a project which plays external mov files located on the same CD as the executable. The project is for a windows self executing file on CD which must play on many different computers. I previously managed to change directors desigation of  the location of the mov file to the CD drive. Now when I attempt to make the same location change after publishing changes to the movie the software does not allow me to chnage the movie location always reverting back to the original location? Can someone help with this?

Or is there a way to embed flv files directly into the movie so the program does not have to search for external files?

Appreciate your assitance

• 1. Re: playing external mov files
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You can certainly import/embed FLV files so that there are no external dependencies, incluing requiring the QuickTime Player software to be present.

Alternatively, you could attach a simple behavior to each QT sprite that sets the member.filename property relative to the Director movie's path, however it's not clear what your problem is. If you are getting a "Where is ..." dialog when a QT video should be playing then this can be corrected by adding to the searchPathList in the prepareMovie handler.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: playing external mov files
            vjcapone Level 1

Thank you for your in sights into my problem.

We do not get a dialogue box only a red rectangle with an X through it where the animation should run.

On a test version of the movie on a CD we experienced the same problem which was solved by changing the file location of the animation from the project location on our production computer hard drive to the expected pathway of a CD iserted onto a windows machine. Now for some reason director will not allow me to change the file pathway..

obviously your suggestions in a previous response may be a more elegant way to solve the issue. I just need the video content and animations to play when the CD is inserted in to any windows machine without the customer having to load special software or be connected to the internet. As we say in the climbing community about your anchor points, it needs to be bomb proof!

so I am looking for the most robust method

again thank you for your assitance

• 3. Re: playing external mov files
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
              We do not get a dialogue box only a red rectangle with an X through it where the animation should run.

Which suggests a missing asset xtra (QT6Asset) or perhaps missing player software.

Since it would be mistaken to assume that QT Player is pre-installed on all Windows computers, and you don't want to have to run an installer prior to viewing your CD content, you really should use FLV for video playback. Or the MPEG Advance xtra to play MPEG1 files.