9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 7:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint

HealthyOptimist

Hello,

I made a short video explaining my question.

http://screencast.com/t/NjhjMjJkMT

I read the following thread and coulnd't find the solution I'm looking for.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/1756966#1756966

Should't it be just as simple as making sure the whole background is selected and then selecting a "fill" color?

Thanks,

Robby

• 1. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
          Matt Petersen Level 3

Robby, by default, a title plate is TRANSPARENT. That's that "checkered thing" you refer to in your video. The chessboard pattern denotes transparency (as it does in all the Adobe apps). It's not possible to colour a pixel where none exist!

SO.. you need to MAKE your own background by selecting the rectangle tool, drawing it out so it fills the stage area (and it doesn't matter if it's bigger), send it to the back behind your text, and give it a fill colour. Done.

Just as a matter of interest (and I have no idea what the rest of your project), are you sure you wanna do this in Premiere? If the final product is just going to be a PowerPoint presentation but distributed in movie form (say, for YouTube or Vimeo), then I'd be tempted to do it PowerPoint and use a simple tool like PPT2VIDEO ($50USD) to convert the presentation file into a movie file. If you're on Keynote, you can export straight to Quicktime.

Don't get me wrong, you can do it in Premiere, it's just that it'll be... er... annoying.

MP

• 2. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
            HealthyOptimist Level 1

Hey Matt,

Thanks for this answer, it makes perfect sense and I got the color I want.

How do I send it to the back behind my text?

There will be video for the project.  Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm always looking for tips because I'm a total novice.

Robby

• 3. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Matt is correct; there is no direct "Fill Background" function in the Premiere titler. And while his suggestion is good and completely workable, I'd like to suggest something a little simpler and more flexible.

Instead of using the colored rectangle in the Titler to approximate a background, leave the title's background transparent, as is the default. Create all of your titles this way, and edit them into Video 2 in your sequence. Then, select either File > New > Color Matte or right-click in your Project panel and select New Item > Color Matte; this will effectively allow you to create a colored solid that you can edit into Video 1 to serve as the background for your "slides". You could also apply effects--for example, Ramp to create a gradient--if you want to stylize it a bit. If you need to change the color, just double-click the matte in the sequence, and pick a new color. Since you're only working with one clip instead of multiple ones, the color change will "ripple" through all of your slides. If you did the colored rectangle, and decided you didn't like it, you'd have to go through and change every title you'd already created. Just another option--as you'll find, there are often multiple ways to do something in PPro.

If I may, I'd also like to suggest an alternative to the way that you're adding the bullets to a particular "slide". Instead of creating an individual title each time you add a bullet--let's say you have a slide with 5 bullets, so you'd have to create 5 titles that add each bullet--create one title with all 5 bullets already on it. Then, add the Crop effect to your title. Slide the Bottom parameter up until all but the first bullet disappears, and then click the Stopwatch icon for that parameter. Right-click on the keyframe that is created and select Hold; this will create a keyframe that essentially serves as a "Pause" button for an animation. When you go to next time in your sequence where the next bullet should appear, simply alter the Bottom parameter to reveal the next bullet--another Hold keyframe will be added at that time to reveal the next bullet. Repeat this throughout the title to reveal your remaining bullets. You could even save this animation as a preset, which you could apply to other titles as long as you keep the positions of the bullets the same; you'd just need to adjust the position of the keyframes then to correspond with the points where you want the bullets to appear.

This is just an alternative to what you're doing presently; it's not necessarily better, or worse for that matter. Each method has some benefits that the other does not. Hope that helps...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
                HealthyOptimist Level 1

Hey Collin,

This was very helpful.  Like you said, I'm learning there are lots of ways to do stuff.  Your idea of doing the video 1 and video 2 thing so I can mess with the color once, is a much, much better way for my goals.

I'll have to practice the crop effect.  It sounds like it might work well for me.

Robby

• 5. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One more alternative would be to create the Title in Photoshop, with each Bullet Point on a separate Layer. Save_As .PSD (do not Flatten), and then Import the .PSD as a Sequence, so that you have all of the Layers, atop each other. You can then animate each Layer (Bullet Point), as you wish. Now, if you just want them to appear, one after the other (a la PowerPoint), Colin's method is easier, and does not involve other programs.

Also, when I want a colored background, I use a Color Matte Video Clip, on the lowest Video Track, and just do my Title above that (higher Video Tracks). This solves having to Select and then Arrange Shapes in the Title - clean and efficient, and you don't have to worry that you have Selected any of the Text, when you go to Arrange.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
                    HealthyOptimist Level 1

Hey Hunt,

I'm really excited about learning how to animate each bullet.

I made a short video with my current challenge of getting the layers to stay as the next layer comes in.

http://screencast.com/t/ODUzOTQzYjA

Also, do you have any suggestions for the nice, clean, professional effects for each bullet?

Thanks,

Robby

• 7. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Robby,

One can animate most Effects with Keyframes. Some of the fixed (will appear for ALL Clips automatically) Effects, such as Motion>Position, Motion>Scale and Opacity can be very effective. I also like to use Gaussian Blur (or some of the other Blurs), along with those.

Keyframes are most easily handled in the Effects Control Panel, and it has a mini-Timeline to show you the location of Keyframes that you have added, relative to the time of the Clip. For most Effects, that can be Keyframed, there will be a little "stopwatch" that toggles the animation of that Effect ON/OFF. When it is ON, you will see a pair of small arrows with a diamond in the middle. The arrows allow you to navigate to the previous, or next Keyframe, and the diamond allow you to add one.

One tip: when you add Keyfames, their operation is linear. I like to adjust the Velocity of these Keyframes (will no longer be linear), with controls like Ease-Out/Ease-In, Continuous Bezier, etc. These are accessed by Rt-clicking on the Keyframe(s). This can be used to "smooth" out the action of the Keyframe.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
                        HealthyOptimist Level 1

I'll play around with the key frames, but how do I get all the layers of the PSD to appear at once?

Right now I can only get one layer to appear at a time.

Thanks,

Robby

• 9. Re: Changing Title Background & Emulating PowerPoint
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Robby,

When you Import as a Sequence, you will have a Sequence in the Project Panel inside of its own Bin. Twirl open that Bin and you will have both the Sequence and then the Layers in a sub-Bin. Just drag them to the various Video Tracks, one above the other. You can alter the order, if needed, but most of the time I just click-drag in the Layer order from PS. Before you do the Import, I'd go to Edit>Preferences>General and set the Still Duration to about what I think I will want to give me time to animate the Layers. I believe that CS4 has added the capability to adjust groups of stills for Duration in the Project Panel. Still, you can also click-drag on either the Head, or Tail of the Clips to increase/decrease their Durations. I just like to have them come in close to what I will want in the end. Note: the other Import option for Layered stills is a Footage, which will Flatten all Layers.

When I know that I will be animating Layers, I will create a Sequence with the approximate number of Video Tracks that I will need. Now, PrPRo will create these for you, if needed, but again, I like to start with approximately what I will need. Habit of mine.

Good luck,

Hunt