7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 12:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7

rtprtp Level 1

Hi all,

Has anyone edited video shot with the Nikon D300 S in PE7? I have a client who is buying one, and I'm wondering what kind of adventure awaits me.

;-)

Stan

• 1. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

IIRC, the Nikons record video in MJPEG CODEC. If you do not have a good version, you will want to look at either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's, and install. Those are the two most often recommended versions. For most users, either works fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
            rtprtp Level 1

Thanks Hunt!

I have never installed a codec. Do I just go to the site and download it and install it on my computer? Do I need to do anything within PE7?

Stan

• 3. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

Most CODEC's will come with an installer. That would be run (the exact installer file type might differ), and it will first copy the CODEC, probably a .dll to the C:\, plus register it with the OS and add the necessary lines to the Registry. One then reboots, and that CODEC will be loaded.

Now, here is my personal feeling on CODEC's: I install just the ones that I need, when I need them. I also try to go to the "source," for each one. I would rather pay for a needed CODEC, even when there are free versions available. Many of those "free" versions are hacked, or reverse-engineered, and some just do not work well. A good example of this is the DivX CODEC. There is an open-source version, Xvid, that is very similar. Now, I can Export to DivX from each of my editing programs fine, but if I try to use the Xvid version, I get crashes on all but one editor. Guess which version I use. I also am not a fan of the various CODEC "packs," as most have hacked versions, and many also load all sorts of "stuff," that can really mess up an editing program.

This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on CODEC's.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
                rtprtp Level 1

Hunt,

So I would go to the

Morgan  M-JPEG2000 Codec V2 site

which I just did and buy it for $30. Installing these makes me nervous because PE7 has been running like a dream for me, and I don't want to risk the great performance I've been getting. Should I just relax and do it?

• 5. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's quiet those nerves a bit. The Morgan MJPEG CODEC will install into the OS, and not PrE. PrE will check the Registry and will find it. It will use it, if possible, and with both the Morgan and the MainConcept, should work fine.

Before you do the installation, do a manual System Restore Point in the OS. Name it "Before_Morgan." This will give you the opportunity to roll back the OS to before Morgan, should something get hosed. I do this for almost every installation, and not just for CODEC's - everything. Often, installers will create a System Restore Point automatically, but I would rather do it manually, just in case.

After you have downloaded the file, turn off all AV, pop-up blockers and spysweepers (you can run an AV check, as soon as you download), prior to installing. This will keep the other programs from getting in the way. Reboot, and then launch G-Spot. It will survey your system, and in the Tables menu, show all installed Video CODEC's. Do not worry about any error messages about Adobe MainConcept CODEC's being broken. Those are false-positives, due to the way that Adobe names the MainConcept CODEC's to "hide" them from programs, that might overwrite them with their own version of the CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
                    rtprtp Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

Your system restore suggestion definitely sedated me.

• 7. Re: Editing from Nikon D300 s in PE7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I just updated my Quicken, and did the same thing, especially as the installation removes the old version. Last thing that I want, going into "tax time," is a broken accounting program!

You are wise to be concerned, and wise to take measures to back things up.

Good luck,

Hunt