13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 1:21 PM by Roslynlistrejects

Adobe Reader installation problem

Roslynlistrejects

When I try to install Adobe Reader 9.3, I use the ADobe Installation program, but it does not help.  A few seconds after initializing installation, I always get this error message "can not open the device or file specified".  After that I get an error message that starts with the number 7255 or something like that and then error number 110.  I have tried to install this at least 15 times and it never works.  I erased all my previous version of Adobe Reader and perhaps this is my problem.  It may be looking for some essential earlier program and can not find it.  What can I do?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem
          pwillener Level 8

What is your OS?

How did you "erase" the previous Reader version?

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem
            Roslynlistrejects Level 1

My OS is Windows XP Professional.

I uninstalled Adobe Reader, I think  Reader #8 and then I erased as many Adobe Reader files I could find while cleaning out my stuffed computer.  I still find various Adobe Reader files, but none seem to be exe files of previous versions of Adobe Reader.  There are now only 1.9 Gigabytes left in my C drive, but I don't think that this is the cause of my problem.  Do you?   

I am beginning to think that I should install some earlier version of the Reader and hope that this will take.

I asked the Adobe Live Chat person if I needed previous versions of the Reader for the 9.3 version to work.  She said that she did not know the answer to that.  Does anyone here know? 

I thank you in advance for your help.

Roslyn

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your installer files could be out of whack.

Try downloading and running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and be sure that all traces of REader are gone. Then try to reinstall.

Roslynlistrejects wrote:

I asked the Adobe Live Chat person if I needed previous versions of the Reader for the 9.3 version to work.  She said that she did not know the answer to that.  Does anyone here know? 

Roslyn

You do not need a previous version to install 9.3 (I wonder how much they pay these tech support folks).

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

OK, I checked my installation program.  It was in some strange folder, but I fixed that.  I re-installed it and downloaded a new version of the reader.  However, there is still the same problem.  When I tried to run the downloaded Reader file, the message I got was:

"The extraction failed for an unknown reason.  The program has been closed without installing.

Info ID: 6702.402.50.2.20041

Please send the Info ID to http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html"

I reported it.  Now what?  Someone please help.

Roslyn

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

I need to make a correction to my initial posting.  The error message I get after trying to install the program (instead of trying to run the program) is number error 2755, not 7255 as I first wrote it.  The error message I get is:  "Error 2755.  Server returned an unexpected error 110 attempting to install package C:\ documents and settings\..."

Roslyn

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

Roslynlistrejects wrote:

I reported it.  Now what?  Someone please help.

Roslyn

We're trying here.

Did you do as I suggested (use the MS Install cleanup tool)? If so, what steps did you take? If not, try it next.

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

I don't know why you are suggesting an MS tool, when I need to get the Adobe installation program to work. I did everything that has been suggested to me.  I now have 3.3 GB of free space, but I still don't think that space is my problem.

I may have found ONE problem.  The Adobe Acrobat Reader Installer program I have been using is version 2.1.5.0 version.  I saw somewhere that this was for Reader 4.0, but I now can not find the info.  It has a 1996 copyright on it. I am not sure where I got this, but I may have found it sitting in my computer.  This may be the problem. However, I have now been trying to find the the exact spot where I can download the Adobe Download Manager, which is supposed to also install the program, but I don't see where the actual download is.  There are lots of pages of info about it, but I don't see where the download itself is.  Can you help with that?

I downloaded the Deployer earlier today and that has opened up my current pdfs.  Is this all I needed?  Does this mean that my problem is solved, even though I still get the same error message when I again try to install Reader 9.3?

This is all taking much too long and I feel like giving up on it all.  Please help.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

Roslynlistrejects wrote:

I don't know why you are suggesting an MS tool, when I need to get the Adobe installation program to work.

Because it's possible that your "Adobe installation program" is hosed (sorry for the technical term). The Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility is made to fix things like that.

If you don't want to try this step that's fine by me but we can't go much further until you do.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

First let me apologize, because I tried to edit my response, but was interrupted in the middle.  I could not post my editied message once I came back to my computer. 

Let me be clear.  I was afraid of using the MS tool because I was afraid it would clean up too many other things that I want to keep in my computer.  I keep multiple copies of things on my other drives and I don't want them deleted. Will this tool stick only to my C drive?

Other than a "BG Adobe" images in my MS Office program "groove" programs and my Adobe Flash program, I have cleaned out all Adobe things in my C drives.  I have lots of fonts called adobe in another drive, but I don't think that they are relevant.  Please tell if I am wrong about that.  So, I think that I have cleaned everything else called Adobe.

I just went to look for this MS tool and found that my old Adobe Photoshop Album 3.2 SE program was sitting in a "Windows installer Package" type file at this address C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded installations\{E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7}.  When I clicked on the {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} file, it said that this file is damaged.  I deleted all of these files, including the Photoshop program.  Several internet sites say that this file will automatically download a new good version of itself when I will run the program that belongs to it and thus it is good to delete it.  Was this the problem?

OK, I finally took a chance and just ran a program called "MIcrosoft Installer Cleanup Utility" and it detected a "malicious script".  It's called C:\DOCUME~1\Roslyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\StartMsi.vbs .  I am trying to get rid of it, but it doesn't seem to take yet.  Is this the problem?  I will be running my Norton to clean this up.  It will take a while.  I hope that this is the program you were talking about.

I have not seen Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility do anything else yet.

Was The Adobe Acrobat Reader Installer program, version 2.1.5.0 the problem?

Thank you very much for your help.

Roslyn

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

OK, triple deleted the StartMsi.vbs file, even from the trash folder.  I ran Norton anti-virus and didn't find anything. 

I also re-ran both the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and I re-tried installing Adobe Reader 9.3.   Nothing happened and it is still not installed.  What now?

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem
                              LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Can you do the following?

1. Enable Windows Installer logging (Google for instructions and make sure you understand where to find MSI log file after you run installation in step 3

2. Download Adobe Reader 9.3.0 installer (MSI version) from Adobe FTP - there should be a link somewhere on this forum

3. Run installation and provide MSI log file if installation failed.

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem
                                pwillener Level 8

LeoAdobeX wrote:

2. Download Adobe Reader 9.3.0 installer (MSI version) from Adobe FTP - there should be a link somewhere on this forum

Here is the link ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US.msi

Regarding the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: it is not enough to run the downloaded file - this will just install it.  You must then run the tool (from Start | Programs) and use it to remove all versions of Adobe Reader from the list.

After this, run the downloaded MSI installer from the above link.

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader installation problem

Since I forgot how to ftp - haven't done it in years, I went to Microsoft for help.  I found out that the trojan I wrote about earlier did not allow the Microsoft cleaner program to work and that needed to be dealt with.  We emaciated the trojan enough to download the cleaner so that it worked well enough to install Adobe Reader 9.3.  But this trojan is also the reason why I have not been able to install any of my Microsoft updates for the last few months.  Fixing the problem has allowed most of those Microsoft updates to install, but not all of them.  Even the Microsoft Windows Live scan has not been able to kill the trojan the first time around.  This same trojan killed my Internet Explorer 8.0 last night and so I am using IE 6.0 meanwhile.  The second Windows Live scan I am doing right now will hopefully kill the trojan and if not, the Microsoft virus support will me with that.  It is interesting that my Norton Anti-Virus did not find this trojan all these months.  You can find more info about this startmsi.vbs trojan here:  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Startmsi.vbs&aq=&aqi=g3&oq=Startmsi.vbs&fp=c5aa4278f68e4a4.   So, this is where I stand right now. Although I tried it only once, I believe that my Adobe Reader 9.3 is working.  So, we can say that this issue has been resolved.  Thank you all very much.