9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 6:47 PM by Navarro Parker

Image Sequence not importing?

Navarro Parker Level 3

So I rendered a multi-pass animation in Cinema 4D.  One pass imports fine while another won't.  I get this error message. All the files (EXRs) are there and numbered sequentially. There don't seem to be any corrupt frames.

Any ideas how to fix?

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 9.11.14 AM.png

• 1. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

If you import one of the errant frames as an individual piece of footage (not a sequence) does it work?

• 2. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What pass specifically? Obkject buffers by any chance? A friend/ colleague of mine is suffering some tenure with C4D's passes lately as well where it spits out images (PNGs and TIFFs) that are empty or not readable by any program.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
              Navarro Parker Level 3

Surprisingly, the RGBA pass.  My motion vector pass imported fine.   These are all readable by Photoshop.  And single images can be imported into AE. This problem comes up with I do Image Sequences.

• 4. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

What filename are you using for the sequence?  In fact, what's the whole file path?  We've seen (and mostly fixed) some bugs in the past related to odd file names or really long paths, or other odd things like having two drives with the same name.

• 5. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
                  Navarro Parker Level 3

Nothing too exotic. No unicode characters or high ASCII.  Here's a sample path:

/Volumes/IMG-RAID/Cinema4DNETRenders/user/administrator/HelioExpo Body v2/results/HelioExpo Body v2_LeftGreenSpot0004.exr

Even if I copy the folder to a local drive, I get the same problem.

• 6. Re: Image Sequence not importing?

Does your sequence run over 1000 frames?  And/or is the first frame of your sequence numbered zero? ie., file_0000.png.

Try adding a non-zero digit on the front of the numbers.  Ex.: HelioExpo Body v2_LeftGreenSpot10004.exr

Does that help?

We know about a couple of problems dealing with leading zeroes in the file numbering sequence.  Simply put, AE needs to figure out how many leading zeroes are on your sequence, but there are some cases where it gets confused.  Having either of the above two conditions could contribute to failure. (I know this sounds silly.  Counting the sequence numbers should be so easy that it's hard to screw up.  But there's a lot of logic related to detecting one or more leading zeroes, looking for gaps in the sequence, whether or not you're selecting the first numbered frame in the folder, and other under-the-hood stuff that makes it all magically work the right way no matter how your sequence is numbered or which files you select.  Not as hard to screw up as you think.)

• 7. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
                      Navarro Parker Level 3

Hey Tim!  I think you are on to something. I just popped back in to mention that I just downloaded Lloyd Alverez' "Immigration" script and it was able to import these sequences just fine (!)

And yes, there are nearly 6000 frames to be correct. And there are only 4 zeros in the file name!  I will try your suggestion after I'm done with this current project (under deadline!).

So if this works, I should have C4D use 5 leading zeros and then I should always be safe, right?

• 8. Re: Image Sequence not importing?

>So if this works, I should have C4D use 5 leading zeros and then I should always be safe, right?

No, that won't avoid the problem that I think is occurring. Instead you should add a non-zero digit to the front of your sequence, or at the very least start your numbering sequence at a number with a non-zero leading digit.  (Respectively, file_10000.png or file_1000.png.)  The problem I'm thinking of isn't the number of leading zeroes, it's that they're there at all.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Image Sequence not importing?
                          Navarro Parker Level 3

Yes! It  worked.  I renamed my files so the numbers start with a  leading "1" and it imported them fine! I also tried adding an additional leading "0" and that also worked just fine!