5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 2:56 AM by oowbigj49

PPro2 - no audio in PPro but avi plays ok outside PPro!

oowbigj49

Hi, My 1st question!,, I've a PP2 project i've come back to work on and I find that the audio on the avi file plays perfectly outside of PPro but when in PPro there is no audio, have tried deleting/reimporting the .wav files associated to no effect -  moved the .avi file and when asked redirected PPro to it on restart.  The actual associated .wav files appear to be blank. There was a warning message saying that there was a problem when conforming this file, which I (idiot) accidently deleted. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: PPro2 - no audio in PPro but avi plays ok outside PPro!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

OK, the WAV file plays fine outside of PrPro. This is good news. It is when you Import it into PrPro, that you get an error on the Conforming stage of Import.

I'd get the free utility, G-Spot, and run that WAV through it. It will give you the full specs. of that file. PrPro can handle a lot of different sample rates and bit-depths, but not all. Please post the G-Spot screen-cap, with all of the info. Someone will very likely spot the issue.

Now, if you do not have Soundbooth, or Audition, I'd get the free audio-editing program, Audacity. Open that WAV in it (or the audio-editor of choice), and just Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, with a new name. Import that, and allow time for Conforming. That should do the trick.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PPro2 - no audio in PPro but avi plays ok outside PPro!
            oowbigj49 Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for the prompt reply, unfortunately the .wav files do not play, while having a signifigant file size they appear empty!

The avi plays video and sound outside of PPro.

• 3. Re: PPro2 - no audio in PPro but avi plays ok outside PPro!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that I might be confused a bit. Back in the OP, you wrote:

The actual associated .wav files appear to be blank.

Now, is your AVI file muxed, i.e. Multiplexed, containing both Audio and Video? Did you do a Render/Replace operation, which will write a .WAV file? If not, was this WAV file ripped from the AVI with a program like Audition, already? If no to those, where did the WAV file(s) come from?

Help me clear this up in my mind, as I think I might have gone off in the wrong direction with my first reply. I assumed that the AVI file was multiplexed, but not I am not sure.

I'll be looking for the details, and we can probably disregard my earlier reply.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PPro2 - no audio in PPro but avi plays ok outside PPro!
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill has already directed you to GSpot to determine what codec is inside you AVI. AVI by itself is meaningless. I had an Excel spreadsgeet wrapped in an AVI wrapper, and guess what, PR did not put the spreadsheet in my timeline, not even a single row of data!

Answer the question: What codec is in use and add to that from what video camera does the material originate and how was it ingested?

• 5. Re: PPro2 - no audio in PPro but avi plays ok outside PPro!
                  oowbigj49 Level 1

Hi Folks, thanks again for your input. I have it sorted, but I will try and be clearer about what happened and what I have done.

The video was imported directly from a sony dv camera via firewire. I have done this many times - no problems - I was able to complete the project OK. When I returned to it a few months later to do some additional editing I discovered that there was no audio in some sections.

On my time line the video and audio are tagged as .avi even though when the avi is imported into PP it brings a wav file with it. When I opened the wav file in PP to select a portion, there was no audio present (flat line).

I had tried to play this with Media player & Nero - nothing.

Anyway I found a little programme called Avidemux 2.5 and was able to separate the audio & video and just imported the audio track portion into the time line. It's not a fix more a workaround I know, but it has let me finish the job.

Many thanks again.