10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 7:40 AM by bpylant

Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)

bpylant Level 2

I wonder when Adobe will ever bother to fix this... the units in the doc setup and ruler are not honored in the Transform Palette when the document is first opened.

The easiest workaround is to right-click on the ruler and re-select the unit you want (even if it's already checked) but this one has been around -- and widely reported -- since at least AI10, on both platforms... I've submitted bug reports for every version, but it's still here. So fracking annoying...

</rant>

• 1. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
          Doug Katz Level 4

Adobe doesn't ever fix these bugs. All they do is make you pay for new versions. They're a venal and nefarious company that cares not about your transform panel.

(Channeling) Skullmaker

PS. Has this been helpful?

• 2. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Or if you prefer one man's horror story is another man's amusement.

To be a bit more serious I do not think this is exactly a bug as to being a feature request to have a way of the user to define more clearly and deliberately at startup how they want things to work.

Like such here's my protoype:

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 5.58.03 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 5.59.18 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 6.00.17 PM.png

I believe what you see is actually expected behavior just because one changes the rulers temporarily doesn't mean they want to change the document set up they may simply want to see how things compare or use the rues for a simply visual conversion of measures. If you want to change the document set up you would use the document set up to do so.

As you easily tell fro my prototype it is actually they way things currently work and true you may thought this was not expected I believeiyt is expected behavior.

Of curse I or both of us could be wrong.

Let's wait for Skullmaker to chime in I do not think he will becauseI think he probably likes it the way it is already. But you can never tell.

• 3. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
              Skullmaker Level 3

Wade,

Where is the CS4 update? Where?

FYI:

A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.

• 4. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
                Skullmaker Level 3

Doug,

That is a perfect way to keep my mouth closed.

• 5. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Let's see you are certain that the way you see things are correct? There can be no mistake on the behavior you want to be so as being the right behavior.

So your thinking is perfect and the software manufacturer that designs and offers their application would be wrong if the way they designed their program to work was not the way you expected it?

So Adobe says this is the way this application works and you say it should not work that way. So that is a bug as you see it?

I have to tell you in all the years I have used Adobe applications I have never heard or seen them state that the software does anything then it is intended to do. And all of the bugs ii have seen always seem to be related to conflicts with other applications or unexpected changes in the system, font corruption, system requirements and hardware or attempts to do something it really is not intended or expected t do.

And of course yes there is sometimes a conflict that arises.

And as we know all software has flaws just like we do.

Let me ask you if someone hires you to do an illustration and says they like your work so that is what they want and then you do the ilustration and they tell you well that is not quite what i had in mind, the style is all wrong. And you point out that this is my style and you hired me because you liked my style and they say but that is not the style they want and you will have to change your style and they also blame you for making them loe valuable time and think not only should you change the whole way your work but you should give them a discount as well.

And of course when you say if you want me to do this over I can but I can't change my style and I have to charge you for the changes and they cal you a crook.

What would you think about them?

• 6. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
                    Skullmaker Level 3

Wade,

Could you repeat where can we download CS4 update? Or you want us to buy CS5 instead?

• 7. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
                      Doug Katz Level 4

Hans, you misunderstand my friend. I have no interest in closing your mouth. Only enjoying the enormous variety that comes out of it.

• 10. Re: Bug In Transform Panel (Long-Standing Issue)
                        bpylant Level 2

I believe what you see is actually expected behavior just because one changes the rulers temporarily doesn't mean they want to change the document set up they may simply want to see how things compare or use the rues for a simply visual conversion of measures.

No, I don't beleive this is intended behavior as it only occurs when you open the document. As soon as you manually change the units (on the ruler, or in the document setup) the Tranform panel switches, too.

If you close a document after having set it up for inches, what sense does it make for the Transform panel to show anything other than inches when you re-open the document later? The answer is: no sense whatsoever.