2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 11:51 PM by jcastelain

MediaPlayer and seeking

jcastelain Level 1

Hi all,

I have my Flex application that contains a MediaPlayerWrapper instance on  the stage, that displays a ParallelElement containing two VideoElements (wow that was long), is there a method or a property in the MediaPlayer class that allows me to know to where I can seek?

I saw the MediaPlayer.canSeekTo, MediaPlayer.canSeek and MediaPlayer.seek methods but what I'd like to do is something like this :

1 - create my media elements and assign that to the MediaPlayer's media property

2- untill the videos have been completely loaded, call a Method that would return the "time" to where I can seek for example (in pseudo code)

function getSeekTime(){
              return "the time at which my media player can seekTo;
          }

I don't know if this is possible  at all, but it would be really useful

Thanks for your help ,

Julien

• 1. Re: MediaPlayer and seeking
          bringrags Level 4

The only case where you can't seek to the end is progressive playback (I assume that's what you're using), in which case your maximum seek point is a function of how much data you've downloaded, which MediaPlayer exposes via the bytesLoaded property.  So you could probably do some simple math to find that point:

function getMaxSeekTime():Number

{

var percentLoaded:Number = mediaPlayer.bytesLoaded / mediaPlayer.bytesTotal;

return mediaPlayer.duration * percentLoaded;

}

• 2. Re: MediaPlayer and seeking
            jcastelain Level 1

Hi Bryan,

Once again, thanks for the explanation, that's exactly what I wanted to do

Julien