6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 2:51 PM by BobLevine

Gradients

EricTobias

On an earlier project I used "gradient" in Photoshop.  It gave a nice appearance but I did determine that Photoshop is really not the correct program to use when creating datasheets of my company's products.  So I have decided to try PageMaker.  I was unable to find any similar function to that of Photoshop's "gradient".  Is there one?  And if not, is there any way of using the gradient function in Photoshop and transporting the image to PageMaker?

• 1. Re: Gradients
          BigJohnD Level 3

There is no gradient facility in PM, as you correctly stated.

Create your image in PhS, save it as PSD or TIFF, and use PM's File -> Place to import it on to the PM page.

• 2. Re: Gradients
            EricTobias Level 1

It did not appear that PS allows saving it as a TIFF file so I saved it as a PSD filed, which is the standard PS file suffix anyway.  But when I tried to import (PM file -->Place) it gave me the message "Do not know how to place file".  It also included a list of programs where I needed to select one, but none was PS.  I tried to import it to a "square" box, which I am assuming is the correct way of doing it (I just want one portion of the brochure to have the gradient).  Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Gradients
              BigJohnD Level 3

EricTobias wrote:

It did not appear that PS allows saving it as a TIFF file

Huh?  Look again.

EricTobias wrote:

(PM file -->Place) it gave me the message "Do not know how to place file".  It also included a list of programs where I needed to select one, but none was PS.

You need PM7 for the PSD import filter. It was absent from earlier versions, but all versions import TIFF files.

• 4. Re: Gradients
                EricTobias Level 1

I did a quick look and I found out where my confusion was.  If I selected "Save As" I can only save it as a psd file.  But when I selected Save as a Copy then I saw TIFF.  I will try to use TIFF and see how it goes.

• 5. Re: Gradients
                  EricTobias Level 1

Thanks.  Importing a TIF(F) file worked.

• 6. Re: Gradients
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You do realize that you're using a dead end application, right?

InDesign would be a far better choice.

Bob