• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to Have ToC Default to Show Only Top Level (collapse sublevels)?

Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy!

I'll bet I'm not the only one wishing for this.  Let's say you're using Captivate 4's Table of Contents feature with a longish movie of Cp slides, which is chunked into bite-size sections content-wise.  In the ToC, though, you can't mimic that same organization scheme; at least, the learner would first need to collapse all the ToC folders you've created so they see only the top-level listing.

This can be a critical issue:  keeping the at-first-glance list in the ToC brief enough to be inviting to learners, yet allowing learners to drive which details are currently visible.

A movie's topical hierarchy could be along these lines, for example ...

Section 1 - National Brands

What are National Brands?

Why Are They Important to Our Business?

Working with Nat. Brands

Practice Your Knowledge

Section 2 - International Brands

What are International Brands?

Why Are They Important to Our Business?

Working with Intl. Brands

Practice Your Knowledge

You'd like to organize the ToC to show only the section titles (1st level) and to suppress the 2nd-level detail (slide titles) until the learner chooses to expand the folder to see those details.

I've tried things like grouping the slides into sections in the Storyboard view and organizing the slides into sections strictly within the ToC -- both to no avail.

Has anyone solved for this need yet?

I'm all ears, and you'd be doing learners of the world a huge favor.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Here's a FP9 version of the widget.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have to disappoint you, in CP4 it is not possible to collapse the groups in TOC out of the box. If you want to have this feature in the future (you are certainly not the only one) you could file a feature request (form is in the main page of this forum).

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I thought your suggestion was a good one so I created an AS3 widget you can use.  You can download it here.

Let me know how it goes...

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim

The link fails. I see that it begins with http://https:// but I've tried it without the http:// and it still seems to fail.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2010 Feb 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Jim posted it in the thread FREE WIDGETS too, and I could download it. Works fine. Here is the link:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/571196?tstart=0

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I edited Jim's post to amend the link so it points correctly.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick... I've been away from the formums recently!

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for some background. I saw the activity when you posted the link but didn't have the time to investigate. I was facilitating a Captivate class yesterday and one of the participants was asking this very question. So I quickly demonstrated how one may easily visit the forums. I located your post and clicked the link to show that you had created a widget and made it available to address that specific issue.

Glad we got it all sorted! And again, thanks for sharing the goodies!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jim.

I was finally able to get to the proper site to download the widget you created.  I've just now imported it to a Cp 4 movie, and the results are ... fantastic!  Thanks so much, Jim!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Glad to hear it worked our for you and thanks for the positive feedback.

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jim.

Sorry to say - for both our sakes - that the Collapse All TOC Entries widget apparently doesn't coexist well with tracking slide-completion status.  Today was when I first tried using the widget in the real world - on a project that aims to let learners quit in the middle then easily pick up where they left off.

With the Collapse ... widget in place, I exited out of the movie (in runtime), then ended the browser session.  When I launched the movie again, neither the slide-completion flags nor the resume functionality (for "self-paced learning") were working.  (I have had this functionality work for me without the widget in place.)  Initially, I thought the issue might stem from the LMS I'd deployed the movie to, but the same misbehavior happened when I republished the movie (deSCORM'd) and deployed it on a normal web server.

So I tried deleting the widget (from Slide 1).  When I republished and redeployed the movie on the normal web server, both the TOC's slide-completion tracking and resume functionality worked just fine.

Perhaps the Collapse ... TOC widget is somehow interfering with whatever persistent variable holds the learner's resume data?

Jim, if you happen to find a way to tweak the widget to coexist peacefully with slide-tracking and resume functionality, I'd be very grateful - and psyched!

Dave

Message was edited by: Dave T-90

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I just tested this on my local web server and it worked fine.  I created a blank project with 8 slides.  Created my TOC with grouping... 2 slides in each group.  I turned on self paced learning.  I tried with and without the widget and it picked up where I left off in either case.  See link to my test file.  I published using FP10 and IE8 to view.  Notice any difference between your project and this one?

Thanks,

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jim.

Thanks for being 'on the case' and looking into this so quickly. Your

findings are encouraging, although my user base is generally working with

IE 6 and FP8 or 9.

Since the only thing I may influence is getting IT to help push out FP10,

I'm hoping it's more of a player- than a browser-version issue.

I'll test things out by Monday and let you know the results. Wish me luck!

Dave

To: Dave Tressler <david.tressler@sunlife.com>

Date: 03/26/2010 06:02 PM

Subject: Possible to Have ToC Default to Show Only Top Level (collapse

sublevels)?

Dave,

I just tested this on my local web server and it worked fine.  I created a

blank project with 8 slides.  Created my TOC with grouping... 2 slides in

each group.  I turned on self paced learning.  I tried with and without the

widget and it picked up where I left off in either case.  See

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B86WuEq6SVwRNWIwMjhjODctMjE2Yy00MWE2LWI5YzEtMGQxYzNjOWQ0ZmI2&hl=en. 

I published using FP10 and IE8 to view.  Notice any difference between

your project and this one?

Thanks,

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Do you have Flash CS4?  If so, I can give you the source file and you can publish the widget in different versions of FP for testing.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jim.

I'm happy to report that the Collapse TOC widget worked with Flash Player 10.  I didn't need to upgrade from IE6.

Still no luck with isolating/correcting the widget's compatibility with SCORM/LMS, though. So, it looks like I'll be deploying on the 'normal' web server and track completion with a SCORM quiz/activity instead.

Re my publishing the widget 'down' for FP 9 instead of 10 -- unfortunately, my Flash version is on Flash 8.

Best option for me, if available:  Is there any way for me to republish it for FP 9 directly from Captivate 4?

Thanks so much for your support and super responsiveness, Jim!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a FP9 version of the widget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jim.

The FP 9 version clearly did the trick.  Sorry for taking this long to vouch for it; I've been hitting unrelated snags in going to user test (Ppt-to-Cp conversion issue).

If anybody out there needs to chunk down a longish movie using the Table of Contents, your widget is clearly the way to go!

Small caution:  Folks should be aware that the collapse-ToC functionality appears strictly when you preview other than via the browser and once you publish and deploy the movie on a server.

Thanks again, Jim.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources