10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 7:42 AM by taharbob

Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip

taharbob

I'm able to capture clip from my DV cam but everytime I want to drag

the clip into the timeline... the software just crash & close.

BTW I'm using the trial version.

Pls help me...

• 1. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Often, when one has such a problem, it is an issue with an outdated video driver. Go to the video card's mfgr. Web site and download and install the very latest driver. Reboot, and test.

You might also want to provide the full specs. of your computer, the Project Preset that you have chosen, and the full details of your AV Clips, in case something else is wrong.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for those specs.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the types of info that is necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
              taharbob Level 1

Ok..

My PC Spec

AMD X4 2000mhz

3GB Ram

win XP Pro SP3

ATI Radeon HD 4670 (updated driver)

The AVI was capture using elements 8 standard 48khz PAL.

I can not drag the clip at all... even a slight flip of the clip... element 8 close. I have no problem to preview and to trim the clip...

Getting frsutrated... try all the the tips to avoid the crashes from this forum & google.

• 4. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, with a brand new, updated ATI driver, that should not be the issue.

Often, when a program crashes, it's a resource issue. Sometimes, one gets an error, but not always. I use the tips in this ARTICLE to set up my editing computers and then get them ready for an editing session.

That would be the next places to go, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, when a program crashes, there is often a "breadcrumb trail" left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding "clues" in those "breadcrumbs." The trick is to follow any/all links in the error and warning messages, at the time of the program crash, in Event Viewer. This can take some time, and many of the trails will end in screens of useless code, that no one can understand.

At the very bottom of that article is "The Case of the Unexplained." It links to a MS video. It's a bit long, but funny and extremely interesting. It offers some great troubleshooting tips, plus points one to the tools. Those are extremely useful. Those are not "Easy Button" fixes, but are very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                    taharbob Level 1

Need to do a lot of things just to get the software work...???!!!

There are no error message appear... its just close like some invisible cursor click the exit menu.

I luv the worlflow of the element 8 similar to Studio 11 that I used currently (but a lot of crashes upon rendering)... but element 8 more powerful.

Might stay with Studio 11 or upgrade to Studion 14... hopefully Element 9 would be better OR Adobe can issue patches for all the problems I read on element 8.

• 7. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, going back decades, I used Pinnacle and then AVID Liquid. I learned to hit Ctrl+S after every operation. You might want to go to the Pinnacle Studio forum and see how things are working nowadays.

When one crashes an Adobe program, it is usually because of the following and in this order:

1.) System issues

2.) Assets

3.) Project

4.) OE

5.) Bugs in the program

Over the years, the first 4 are about 99% of the reasons for crashes. Number 5 is that last 1%. Just an observation from almost 25 years of working with Adobe programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                        taharbob Level 1

Pinnacle got a lot of problems... thats why I want to try Elements 8.

Still hoping to find the solution for elements 8 problem I'm facing right now...

I will try all the recommended tips...

thanks for your great help... I will post my result if I can find the solution.

• 9. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                          nealeh Level 5

taharbob wrote:

BTW I'm using the trial version.

There are a few places where you can still download the PRE7 trial. Many people have far less problems with 7 than 8.

Download PRE7 trial

Download PRE7 Additional Content (make sure you click the 7 tab)

You can install 7 without uninstalling 8 but will not be able to open PRE8 projects in PRE7.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Premier Element 8 crash when drag clip
                            taharbob Level 1

Downloaded & Installed the elements 7... still the same problem... but this time there is an error file issued as per attachment.

Hope somebody understand the content...