16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2011 5:31 AM by jedikalimero RSS

Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

jedikalimero Community Member

I have a textbox where there should be a 1 to 5 star classification for a movie, so I used the star symbol (character code 0xAB) from the Wingdings Symbol Font. But instead of the stars, What I get is double angular quotes in Arial, the corresponding character in a normal text font: «

In fact, every Wingding character above 0x80 (included) is displayed in Arial instead of Wingdings. This also seems to happen with all Symbol fonts.

I've also made Wingdings into a font symbol but the problem still happens. It also happens in static text boxes.

To reproduce the error just make a text box and set the font to Wingdings. Now type something and it shows in Wingdings but press ALT+0171 (or copy the star from the Character Map app) and instead of a star, you get double angular quotes.

• 1. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
          kglad MVP

embed the font.

• 2. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

As I said, I've already tried to embed the font in a font symbol, but the problem persists:

I've also made Wingdings into a font symbol but the problem still happens.
            • 3. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
              waterdad568 Community Member

As kglad said, you embed the font, the font package, not choose a font from font family using text tool, type it, and then convert it to a symbol, that is not embedding a font.

When you choose text tool, then a font, there is a button below it named "Character Embedding" use that to "embed" the font package.

• 4. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

What I did to embed the font is:

Create a font library item

1. Open the library to add a font symbol to.
                2. Select New Font from the Library Panel menu.
                3. Enter a name for the font item in the Name text field.
                4. Select a font family from the Font menu or enter the name of a font in the Font text field.

But I also tried using the "character embedding" button and selecting all glyphs, but no way.

• 5. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

You are terribly confused. First of all the altcode 0171 is a double left bracket "«" second of all by pasting a font into flash and making it a symbol is not embedding a font in flash. The only way to embed fonts in flash is as described above, and or create a custom runtime external font package and embed it with actionscript.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=102

• 6. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

First of all the altcode 0171 is a double left bracket "«"

altcode 0171 is a double left bracket in a normal text font, but in Wingdings, that is a SYMBOL font, it is a star. Just go to Notepad, Word, Excel, Illustrator, Photoshop, Wordpad, what-ever-you-want-except-flash and set the font to Wingdings and type ALT+0171.  TADA! A STAR! (Yes, I took the time to check it in all the mentioned programs)

Now try it in Flash: a double left bracket.

The solution: copy the star created in any of the programs described above and paste it into the textbox.

second of all by pasting a font into flash and making it a symbol is not embedding a font in flash. The only way to embed fonts in flash is as described above, and or create a custom runtime external font package and embed it with actionscript.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=102

I don't "paste a font" and make it a symbol (How do you "paste a font" in the first place? you just take the ttf file and drop it in the stage?). What I do is to follow the method I pasted above (where it reads "Create a font library item" in bold big letters). Using actionscript as in the video you linked is the same but has the advantage you can embed a limited set of glyphs (The creator says it at the end of the video!) but creating a font library item should embed ALL the glyphs.

• 7. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
                      kglad MVP

creating a library item with your webdings font doesn't embed your font.  it's step1 in a multi-step process to embed your font.

if you'd completed the other steps correctly, you would have seen your webding font in your textfield.

• 8. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

kglad wrote:

creating a library item with your webdings font doesn't embed your font.  it's step1 in a multi-step process to embed your font.

if you'd completed the other steps correctly, you would have seen your webding font in your textfield.

Well, according to Adobe, it does:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Flash/10.0_UsingFlash/WSd60f23110762d6b883b18f10cb1fe1af6-7d42 a.html#WSd60f23110762d6b883b18f10cb1fe1af6-7d2ca

Embed and share fonts

You can embed a font in your SWF file so that the font does not need to be present on the devices the SWF file eventually plays back on. To embed a font, create a font library item.

Creating a font library item also allows you to use the font as a shared library item for sharing among multiple SWF files. You must also assign the font item a linkage identifier string and a URL where the document that contains the font symbol will be posted. In this way, you can link to the font and use it in a Flash application. When you use font symbols for dynamic or input text, embed the font outline information.

After a font symbol in a Flash document has an assigned identifier string and URL, use the font symbol in another Flash document by copying the font symbol into the destination FLA file.

Create a font library item

1. Open the library to add a font symbol to.
                        2. Select New Font from the Library Panel menu.
                        3. Enter a name for the font item in the Name text field.
                        4. Select a font family from the Font menu or enter the name of a font in the Font text field.
                        5. (Optional) Select a font style from the Style menu.

If the selected font does not include a bold or italic style, you can select the Faux Bold or Faux Italic checkboxes. Faux Bold and Faux Italic styles are added to the Regular style by the operating system. The faux styles may not look as good as fonts that include a true bold or italic style.

6. (Optional) To embed the font information as bitmap data rather than vector outline data, select the Bitmap Text option, and enter a font size in the Size text field. (Bitmap fonts cannot use anti-aliasing. You must choose Bitmap as the anti-aliasing option in the Property inspector for text that uses this font.)
                          Note:  The Size setting applies only when you use the Bitmap Text option.

• 9. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
                          kglad MVP

i know how to embed fonts.  you're the one that didn't embed your font correctly.  if you had, you would have seen wingding characters in your textfield when you tested and published your swf.

• 10. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

Seriously, you have an attitude that just won't learn... did you by any chance just stop there... or did you continue to read then next entire paragraph.

It is not working for you because you did not complete all the steps required to embed a font.

You can fight and kick and scream, or you can listen, and follow ALL the steps outlined in the link YOU provided that WE have been trying to explain to you. You have even been given an extremely descriptive tutorial to embed ANY font at runtime.

You did it your way it seems and it does not work... does it? And yet your still trying to argue that it does. We have tried to explain it to you and you just want to argue. Do you want to be right or do you want it to work?

Good luck to you.

• 11. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
                              Harry Kunz Community Member

Wow, no help was appreciated? That's kind of sad.

• 12. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
                                Owen137 Community Member

Hi jedikalimero,

Let me apologize on behalf of everyone here that tried to offer you advise and got angry with you because they said you weren't doing it right.

You were!  They are all wrong, and this is a problem with Flash.

The problem with the other peoples' posts is that they read your question and never really attempted to duplicate it and just thought you weren't embedding the font -- which you were!  To all of you out there that think embedding is the issue, you are WRONG, and you need to do EXACTLY what we have attempted to do.  It does NOT work.

Here is an awkward solution that I've found.  Type your character in Illustrator, convert the type to outlines, and then copy and paste it into Flash and it will work.  Good luck! 

• 13. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

Thank you very much Owen,

I got to the same solution you explain many months ago, but I refused to expose it here after seeing how I was treated by people telling me I was wrong when they didn't even tried to actually check if what they were saying really produced a star instead of angled quotes. I even followed all the "solutions" they told but none of them actually worked.

Flash CS5 still has the same problem. Will they ever fix it?

• 14. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
                                    akaTaranis Community Member

I too have come across this - it has only started happening since cs5 - I opened cs4 to check

Obviously it has something to do with the way cs5 deals with text that is different than the old cs4 way

With a textfield highlighted go into properties in the top box you will see it say TLF Text (drop down)

Change the TLF Text dropdown to say Classic Text and low and behold the symbols will appear

Hope this helps

Cheers

• 15. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash
                                      wtf2009 Community Member

I agree with Owen. I am a software developer with many years experience. One thing I have learnt is never make assumptions about issues and always try to replicate them. By not doing that the posters on this topic have simply muddied the water by assuming this guy was not embedding the font. In fact he was, but the problem lies with flash.
                                      If you post advice without checking you are right you are doing everybody a misservice because your advice is incorrect and hundreds of people will read that and waste time trying lots of embed options before they read down to the bottom of the post to find this advice was wrong. Being rude about it is just plain unprofessional.

• 16. Re: Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

Harry Kunz wrote:

Wow, no help was appreciated? That's kind of sad.

No real help was offered. That IS kind of sad. (I mean before Owen, of course)