3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 8:33 AM by John T Smith

Problem Importing the entire file

aghotbi777

I'm new to Premiere so please be easy on me.

I'm not trying to do something difficult and for some reason I think I'm missing a step here.

I've been converting raw .avi video taken from my camera and encoding it using premiere to adobe media encoder.

These are my steps:

1) Capture AVI through my external media capture device (ATI TV wonder 650) and save to desktop
      2) Import avi into premiere (no issues here)

3) Tweak various settings for the .mp4 export (i.e. audio to mono, Gaussian Blur - which is important to me and the only reason I use premiere)

4) Export to Media Encoder

5) Enjoy...

I've done about 10 videos already with NO issues what so ever.   I've now tried some larger files..varying anywhere from 5-20 minutes long.  These files are rather larger...some are a few gigs, others are about 15 gigs. 

My problem is...when I import it into premiere..it only shows the first 40 seconds or so...and when I export it..only the first 40 seconds.    It's really strange as the avi plays just fine with all other media players...and other media conversion tools read it just fine as well..the entire length of the video (I just really like the effect I get when Premiere exports it)...    Is there a setting somewhere where I can lengthen the clip length?

I also tried a work around by starting just Adobe Media Encoder by itself, dragging and dropping the file in there...same effect...first 40 seconds converts fine...nothing after that.

PLEASE Help.   I'm running a trial version of Premiere 4.0.0    I thought it might be because it was a "Trial" version, but nowhere does it state that the trial version limits the length of the video.   Please help.

Ali

• 1. Re: Problem Importing the entire file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ali,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, you have posted to the old Premiere forum. This is the precursor to PrPro, which is what you have - CS4.

Now, the one thing that the trial cannot do is handle anything MPEG. That is disabled completely in the trial.

Now, going to the truncated files, I have encountered this behavior, though with different circumstances. In my case, when handed odd CODEC material, I first convert to DV-AVI Type II files. Normally, this works 100%. However, there are some files that truncate at about the same Duration as you have observed. I have not idea why, as G-Spot shows them with the proper Duration and no errors. They play 100% in various players. Still, PrPro only sees about 40sec. to 1.5 mins. My workaround is to Import those files into PrElements. Immediately, I Export to the same exact format/CODEC. These then Import into PrPro perfectly, with the correct Duration. Why? I have no clue. The files are the same exact size, and even DupeFile Finder sees them as 100% identical. G-Spot yields the exact same specs in every respect, but once through PrE, they just work, where the original conversion did not.

Also, with Duration issues, one should first check the format of the HDD's used. If NTSF, then things are good. If FAT-32, files will ONLY be 4GB and no larger. Still, that is not 40 secs.

I would say that there is something with the files from your TV card, that PrPro just does not like, when they get over a certain Duration.

Sorry to not have more useful info for you,

Hunt

PS - I see that our wonderful, overworked and under-loved MOD's have jumped in and moved this post to the PrPro forum, where you'll get more responses, and I hope that some will be more useful.

• 2. Re: Problem Importing the entire file
            aghotbi777 Level 1

Mr. Hunt.

Thank you for your suggestion.  I am in fact on NTFS...running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit with a pretty beefy machine at that...  It takes everything I give it without a hicup.

That being said...I'm now hiccupping with this issue!  So I followed your suggestion.  Unforutnately, PreElements is also seeing it as only 40 seconds long.   Really frustrating.   I'm at a loss of what to do.   I've got these massive 9gb raw avi captures...

If I try other applications, I get crappy conversions and bad video output.

Adobe makes it SO much nicer...but I can't get these big files to be recognized. 

Ali

• 3. Re: Problem Importing the entire file
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link