5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 2:12 AM by mussash9-YaYtJu

Basic Question- best import/export method possible for resolution/picture quality

mussash9-YaYtJu

hello,

I would like to find out what is the best way to import and export some parts of my movie in AE. I am using Premiere Pro for editing, but i need to use afte effects at some parts for motion tracking.

I am not sure what is the best method for saving resolution and picture quality

- editing my movie completely, rendering it, and then importing into AE for finishing touches, then exporting to Encore for making a DVD?

-or, only importing the few clips that i need to use AE with, editing them, then exporting them and importing them back into premiere pro?

-or, importing the source clips into AE, editing them, then exporting them,.... then importing them into premier pro?

I would appreciate any advice on this.  Thank you

• 1. Re: Basic Question- best import/export method possible for resolution/picture quality
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Everybody has their own preferences for workflows, and their own opinions of what works best for themselves.  Your source files, output requirements and available drive space will all effect the workflow you develop.

Personally, as my normal workflow is totally uncompressed until delivery, I edit my content as much as possible, then export content which requires motion graphic work as an uncompressed or lossless Quicktime file.  (If I'm working on something short like a TV commercial or music video, I'll just export the entire project.  If it's something longer, I'll export the segment that requires work only.)   I then do the work required, and re-export in the same lossless or uncompressed format.  The uncompressed file then goes above the original in the editing timeline, where output files are generated.

Adobe's Dynamic Link process is another option you haven't mentioned, which allows you to open Premiere projects in After Effects and vice versa.  I work in Final Cut Pro anyway, and my limited experience with Dynamic Link has found it to be a bit flakey, so I prefer the method above, generally.  There's a third party product called Automatic Duck that does a fairly faultless conversion of FCP projects to AE, if you really need that process.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Basic Question- best import/export method possible for resolution/picture quality
            mussash9-YaYtJu Level 1

Hi Andrew,

I really appreciate the help.

Actually I am not familiar with Adobe Dynamic Link, though I've heard of it before.  Is this a separate program that must be purchased?  I have the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium, and I don't see "Adobe Dynamic Link".. or perhaps it's something I chose not to install...

Can I also ask which compressor you use when exporting into the quicktime video?

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Basic Question- best import/export method possible for resolution/picture quality
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Dynamic Link is a feature in the suites. It allows you to render content on the fly e.g. by inserting a blank new comp in a premiere Pro timeline. Then in the background an instance of AE will be launched that handles the rendering of the comp placeholder. This way you are more flexible before commiting to final rendering. The downside is, that you need a quite beefy machine with enough RAM since effectively you have then 2 very resource hungry programs running at the same time... As for the rest - mostly a matter of preference and the piece being worked on. Generally, though, you would want to cut in Premiere first to avoid processing footage in AE that you throw away later. Once the rough cut exists, you can treat clips selectively in AE. as long as you work uncompressed, there is no degradation....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Basic Question- best import/export method possible for resolution/picture quality
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This page summarizes the various ways to work between After Effects and Premiere Pro and provides links to sections of the Help documents that describe each in more detail: "Working with After Effects and Premiere Pro"

[edit: Oops. I see that you have Production Premium CS3, not CS4. Here's the link for CS3.]

• 5. Re: Basic Question- best import/export method possible for resolution/picture quality
                  mussash9-YaYtJu Level 1

Thanks for the help again... So when I go to export my video, I click on File-> Settings, then on the General tab i have File Type, and I click on Quicktime.  But on the Video Tab, what Compressor should I use?  Which one do you use?

Thanks again!