4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 5:59 PM by Fighting Sticks

cs4 opens cs3 files with errors

Fighting Sticks Level 2

Here's a big heads up for anyone considering upgrading to cs4 - don't!  I've been working on a cs3 project and decided to upgrade to cs4 for the extras in the 3D toolset.  All the Adobe propoganda implies this can be achieved no problem, as did soemone on telephone tech support.  Perhaps I didn't clearly ask 'can I open my cs3 file in cs4'.  I can BUT the clips are very much 'out of synch.  I'll lick my wounds and go back to finishing in cs3 but don't purchase cs4 if you think you can seamless import your sc3 project.  Because it seems you very much can not!

• 1. Re: cs4 opens cs3 files with errors
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.  In principle, there should be no problem in importing older projects into the latest version of any Adobe product.  However, we have identified some strange behavior when importing large CS3 projects into CS4.  Nevertheless, if you import the project into a new CS4 project, this will many times help address your problem. 

My advice would sound similar to yours.  Always finish your project and then consider updating to the latest version of software.  Let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Dennis

• 2. Re: cs4 opens cs3 files with errors
            Fighting Sticks Level 2

Well Gee Thanks dradeke,

But where was this advice when I rang Adobe Technical support and very specifically explained what I was doing and if the cs4 upgrade would work with my cs3 project in cs4.  The answer was yes, no problems, total compatibility.  Codwallop!  It doesn't, so could you please act to make sure your statement here is one mimicked by your technical support staff, perhaps even better yet make a big point about it.

Why yes in fact I need assistance.  I want help to open my CS3 project in CS4 just like I was told I would be able to do.  If you're not just paying lipservice and are actually intent upon helping me then helping me to open my cs3 project in cs4 would br greatly appreicated.  Perhaps you could take a look at the technical support requests that I've placed at Adobe.com

I really look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Jarrod

• 3. Re: cs4 opens cs3 files with errors
              dradeke Adobe Employee

Jarrod,

As I've stated here in this forum, we're trying to transition Adobe technical support to a new organization and providing the best support we can to our customers.  That being said, it is a long and sometimes painful process, which is why I am here on the forums at times to lend some support.  This doesn't help you and you might not even care so...

Here's a couple of suggestions:

1. make sure your software is updated (Premiere Pro 4.2.1) by going to help>updates
              2. clear your prefs - http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/having_weird_behavior_with_an.html
              3. try importing (ctrl-I) a CS3 project into CS4

Try these things and let me know how you make out.  Also, it would be very helpful if you told us about your system and the specs.  I've posted about the importance of 64-bit and lots of memory many times.  You can find one link here: http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/03/64_bit_os_and_adobe_products.html

The future of Premiere Pro is 64-bit only: http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/10/its_official_64bit_is_the_futu.html

Beyond that if you'd like me to look into your case, please post your case # here or in a private message to me and I'll gladly look at it. 

I sense your frustration and its understandable - give us a chance to help you.

Dennis

• 4. Re: cs4 opens cs3 files with errors
                Fighting Sticks Level 2

Dennis,

Many thanks.

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 05:21:44 -0700

To: [removed]

Subject: Premiere Pro cs4 opens cs3 files with errors

Jarrod,

As I've stated here in this forum, we're trying to transition Adobe technical support to a new organization and providing the best support we can to our customers.  That being said, it is a long and sometimes painful process, which is why I am here on the forums at times to lend some support.  This doesn't help you and you might not even care so...

Here's a couple of suggestions:

1. make sure your software is updated (Premiere Pro 4.2.1) by going to help>updates

2. clear your prefs - http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/having_weird_behavior_with_an.html

3. try importing (ctrl-I) a CS3 project into CS4

Try these things and let me know how you make out.  Also, it would be very helpful if you told us about your system and the specs.  I've posted about the importance of 64-bit and lots of memory many times.  You can find one link here: http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/03/64_bit_os_and_adobe_products.html

The future of Premiere Pro is 64-bit only: http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/10/its_official_64bit_is_the_futu.html

Beyond that if you'd like me to look into your case, please post your case # here or in a private message to me and I'll gladly look at it.

I sense your frustration and its understandable - give us a chance to help you.

Dennis

>