9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 7:12 PM by BruceERoberts

Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3

jdgretz

I've read the wiki and looked through the FAQs and did not find this issue, so here goes.

The file began life as an mp4 from a GoPro HD camera.  It plays correctly in Apple's software, but will not import into Premier.  Found the KB on

Error message "Unsupported format or damaged file" when you import  MP4 clips into Premiere Pro CS3 and changed the extension to MPG.  This got me audio, but no video.  The MPG plays correctly (audio and video) in Windows Media Player as well as in Bridge CS4.

Windows Vista 64-bit, 8 Gig RAM, Intel Q9300 Quad Core Processor, GeForce 9600 GT video card w/1Gig DDR3 RAM.

Any ideas?

John

• 1. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Material from that 'camera' needs to be converted to something editable before import. Use Gspot to figure out what codec is used and then Google for a converter.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Convert to DV AVI type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
              jdgretz Level 1

Thanks - found a file converter and have been editing away.  Thanks.

One would think that with the price of Premier Pro these sort of issues would have been solved. (That's what I get for thinking )

jdg

• 4. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPro is pretty well centered on pro formats. Many find that other NLE's, designed for consumer cameras and formats, work better and some natively. It's a tough call. I love the interface and workflow of PrPro, and use it 99% of the time. However, with heavily-compressed, delivery-only formats/CODEC's, some other NLE's work better - to start. I use those as converters, or do batch conversions with DigitalMedia converter, but it's shareware, and not freeware.

Some users want PrPro to embrace every possible CODEC and variation on each, with hourly updates, as mfgrs make changes, and others want it to only perform 100% with pro-formats and leave the consumer stuff totally alone - there is PrElements for that. Me? I just roll with the punches, and convert from X to Y, and edit in my chosen NLE. Kinda' the "Jimmy Buffett" of video editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
                  jdgretz Level 1

Thanks for the perspective - I've just begun video editing as a result of receiving a GoPro HD camera to use on my motorcycles.  There may be something that will work as well for what I wish to do that is a less feature filled program, or maybe not.  Since I already had the CS3 Master Suite, I figured I'd give it a shot.  I hate spending money on a product to find out that it does not fulfill my needs.  Equally dissapointing to find that a high end product will not work with "lesser" (my words, not yours) formats.  Guess I got spoiled with PhotoShop as it handles virtually every image format available.

jdg

• 6. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

There are probably two GoPro threads here, and I think one on the PrE forum. Some are HD, and some are SD, IIRC. For study, I'd do a search for "GoPro" in both fora, and read along. I don't recall all the issues and fixes, but think that users got some pretty good stuff. Might be some great tips in those articles.

Here's hoping, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - though a different program, than PrPro, there are enough similarities, that one might well pick up useful tips on that footage, and doing a good edit. . There will be some comments on the mechanics of the two programs, that will not apply, but the concepts are very similar, and hence probably useful.

• 7. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
                      BruceERoberts Level 1

Thank you - what converter did you find?

• 8. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
                        jdgretz Level 1

I'm currently using both WinAVI and Prism Video Converter.  I'm still looking for one that I really like, but both of these do the job at the moment.

jdg

• 9. Re: Cannot import mpg files into Premier Pro CS3
                          BruceERoberts Level 1

Thanks JD ..... somone also suggested this solution

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2009/12/using_a_flip_minohd_camera_wit.html

basically that I should use a preset ..... quote:

The secret to doing this is picking the right timeline sequence: The MinoHD uses the exact format of MP4 file that the Sony XDCAM-EX camera uses. So, for North America, choose the XDCAM-EX 720p 29.97fps sequence preset when you create a new timeline, and you'll be editing the MinoHD clips natively with no red or yellow bar in the timeline! Very cool stuff!

I started a new project - with this preset .... but still had the same problem

I will try the conversion tools you recommend