7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 7:34 PM by mahendra rajeshirke

swf. file in DW

jvmonteiro Level 1

Dear All,

Among many other questions (which I will have to address separetely), I have this main question which hopefully you will be kind enough to answer: This site I'm currently working on uses a swf file as a kind of header and I want all pages to be alike, changing only the content below.

Now, for lack of a better solution (except maybe for the use of frames which I'd like to avoid) what I have done so far is to duplicate the home page and then changing the main content area but I think that, this way, I will be adding an awfull amount of duplicates of that same swf. file making the overall weight of the site huge.

Can you pls explain how should I go about this?

Thanks a lot

JV

• 1. Re: swf. file in DW
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The swf file will only occupy the site as one file regardless of how many times you include it in any page or pages.  It is not physically reproduced in the site for each page that embeds it.

• 2. Re: swf. file in DW
            mahendra rajeshirke Level 2

hi,

u are going to duplicate ur home page, so why dont u use editable region,, for ur header and footer,, the one change will be replicate in all duplicate pages.

best

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: swf. file in DW
              jvmonteiro Level 1

Thanks Murphy! That possibility crossed my mind - based on what happens with symbol instances in Illustrator for example - but I wasn't quite sure. Now I know.

Cheers

JV

• 4. Re: swf. file in DW
                jvmonteiro Level 1

Hi Mahendra, thanks for yr. help but I'm not quite sure I follow u when u refer the 'editable region' option...Do u mean like I should create a template from the homepage and then change only main content? Can you pls elaborate a little further on that?

Thanks

JV

• 5. Re: swf. file in DW

editable region shuld be used carefully :| , u have to creat editable rigion for ur tag which will be used rarely, like header (flash , logo), footer content( those content will not be chaned in all paes), menu bar,. so u will have to fix it in editable region by giving them name,, and after puting editable region creat one template page, so when u will creat new html page, go to new >> u will be asked a dialoug, so go to tamplete tag, and select ur created template, and then change only uneditable region content,, if u wnt to edit ur editable content , go to template page, and change it, ur changes will be taken place in all related pages..

best

jvmonteiro wrote:

Hi Mahendra, thanks for yr. help but I'm not quite sure I follow u when u refer the 'editable region' option...Do u mean like I should create a template from the homepage and then change only main content? Can you pls elaborate a little further on that?

Thanks

JV

• 6. Re: swf. file in DW
                    jvmonteiro Level 1

Alright then, I think that is a good way to go. I'll give it a try.

Thank you once more Mahendra!

• 7. Re: swf. file in DW

your welcome, try and let me know, will be working on it..

best

Graphic Web Designer

INDIA