14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2007 7:00 AM by Newsgroup_User

Open page in a new window..

Miss_Angela
      I am making a website and I would like to make a few links on it open in a new window. I know the 'target ._blank' code, but here is my question....

If someone has a pop up blocker, will they not be able to see a new window pop up? Is there a different code I could use so it won't be seen as a 'pop up'???
        • 1. Re: Open page in a new window..
          Level 7
          > If someone has a pop up blocker, will they not be able to see a new window
          > pop
          > up?

Perhaps.

> Is there a different code I could use so it won't be seen as a 'pop up'???

You could try DOM scripting for it -

There is a nice tutorial for how to do it here -

http://www.tjkdesign.com (Popup Windows with no extra markup and more)

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"Miss_Angela" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fdpts1$b60$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am making a website and I would like to make a few links on it open in a
          >new
          > window. I know the 'target ._blank' code, but here is my question....
          >
          > If someone has a pop up blocker, will they not be able to see a new window
          > pop
          > up? Is there a different code I could use so it won't be seen as a 'pop
          > up'???
          >

• 2. Re: Open page in a new window..
            Level 7

Many of the modern techniques to pop up windows are outlined here:

http://divahtml.com/products/divaPOP/open_popup_windows.php

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com
            divaPOP : standards-compliant popup windows
            divaGPS : you-are-here menu highlighting
            divaFAQ : FAQ pages with pizazz

www.valleywebdesigns.com
            JustSo PictureWindow
            JustSo PhotoAlbum

--
            • 3. Re: Open page in a new window..
              Level 7
              "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
              news:fdqnih$97s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> If someone has a pop up blocker, will they not be able to see a new
              >> window pop
              >> up?
              >
              > Perhaps.
              >
              >> Is there a different code I could use so it won't be seen as a 'pop
              >> up'???
              >
              > You could try DOM scripting for it -

DOM scripting? Surely you mean JavaScript.

• 4. Re: Open page in a new window..
                Level 7
                Err, well, yes. Is there a difference?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

"Al Sparber- PVII" <asparber@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
                news:fdrqbu$gv2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                > news:fdqnih$97s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>> If someone has a pop up blocker, will they not be able to see a new
                >>> window pop
                >>> up?
                >>
                >> Perhaps.
                >>
                >>> Is there a different code I could use so it won't be seen as a 'pop
                >>> up'???
                >>
                >> You could try DOM scripting for it -
                >
                > DOM scripting? Surely you mean JavaScript.

• 5. Re: Open page in a new window..
                  Level 7
                  Murray *ACE* wrote:
                  > Err, well, yes. Is there a difference?
                  >

Really the old event handling techniques are not DOM scripting, like

<a href="asdf" onlick="foo()"> where foo() opens a window, say, or
                  changes a class.

When you start attaching event handlers via script, or when your script
                  alters the DOM itself, then that is the beginning of DOM scripting I'd
                  say. Simplistic explanation, to be sure.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com

www.valleywebdesigns.com
                  JustSo PictureWindow
                  JustSo PhotoAlbum

--
                  • 6. Re: Open page in a new window..
                    Level 7
                    news:fdrrm1$i90$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Err, well, yes. Is there a difference?

Yes. JavaScript is a language; "DOM script" is a buzzword that, in my
                    opinion, tries to make JavaScript sound more "refined" or "techie" or
                    modern.

• 7. Re: Open page in a new window..
                      Level 7
                      "E Michael Brandt" <michael@valleywebdesigns.com> wrote in message
                      news:fdrt9v$i2t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                      >> Err, well, yes. Is there a difference?
                      >>
                      >
                      > Really the old event handling techniques are not DOM scripting, like
                      >
                      > <a href="asdf" onlick="foo()"> where foo() opens a window, say, or changes
                      > a class.
                      >

The language is JavaScript in either case.

> When you start attaching event handlers via script, or when your script
                      > alters the DOM itself, then that is the beginning of DOM scripting I'd
                      > say. Simplistic explanation, to be sure.

I remember reading an old blog post by Peter Koch that attempted to
                      "explain" the issue. His case was that it was an attempt to distance modern
                      JavaScripts from older DHTML (another buzzword). It led to a convoluted
                      argument that DHTML is JavaScript that changes the presentation of a page
                      while DOM Scripting is a JavaScript that "appends" or "changes" the
                      document's structure by, for instance, adding form fields or DIVs, rather
                      than changing the appearance of existing form fields or DIVs. The fact is,
                      many modern scripts, in that context, are both DHTML and DOM Scripts. My
                      conclusion is that it's another confusing buzzword that feeds the same folks
                      who confuse Ajax with "widgets". Further, it is all a matter of opinions and
                      conjecture. One can say that DHTML scripts are also DOM Scripts because they
                      use modern methods to traverse the DOM to find objects and then change the
                      properties of those objects from inside the DOM. Your opinion, of course,
                      might be completely different - though no more correct, of course. My
                      opinion is that it's far less confusing to most people to call JavaScript by
                      its actual name, since it is a language with a real name, as opposed to a
                      task or approach one might take in their JavaScript - a case of official
                      "definition" rather then popular "description".

--
                      Al Sparber - PVII
                      http://www.projectseven.com
                      Extending Dreamweaver - Nav Systems | Galleries | Widgets
                      Authors: "42nd Street: Mastering the Art of CSS Design"

• 8. Re: Open page in a new window..
                        Level 7
                        Yes. I think you knew what I meant, though.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

"Al Sparber- PVII" <asparber@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
                        news:fdrtgv$k60$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                        > news:fdrrm1$i90$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> Err, well, yes. Is there a difference?
                        >
                        > Yes. JavaScript is a language; "DOM script" is a buzzword that, in my
                        > opinion, tries to make JavaScript sound more "refined" or "techie" or
                        > modern.

• 9. Re: Open page in a new window..
                          Level 7
                          "DOM scripting" may be a useful term in so far as it distinguishes older
                          from newer javascript techniques. I do think most would agree that a
                          simple hardcoded event handler that is used to change presentation only,
                          or call window.open, would not qualify as DOM scripting. The real gray
                          zone is, as you say, DHTML.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com

www.valleywebdesigns.com
                          JustSo PictureWindow
                          JustSo PhotoAlbum

--
                          • 10. Re: Open page in a new window..
                            Level 7
                            Murray *ACE* wrote:
                            > Yes. I think you knew what I meant, though.
                            >
                            Actually only after I had dinner, raising my blood sugar enough to think
                            clearly, did *I* grasp your meaning - sorry for stating the obvious.
                            Perhaps someone else learned just a bit though, so all is not lost.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com

www.valleywebdesigns.com
                            JustSo PictureWindow
                            JustSo PhotoAlbum

--
                            • 11. Re: Open page in a new window..
                              Level 7
                              news:fds1va$phq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Yes. I think you knew what I meant, though.

Yes. I think you meant JavaScript :-)

• 12. Re: Open page in a new window..
                                Level 7
                                "E Michael Brandt" <michael@valleywebdesigns.com> wrote in message
                                news:fds21t$p5m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > "DOM scripting" may be a useful term in so far as it distinguishes older
                                > from newer javascript techniques. I do think most would agree that a
                                > simple hardcoded event handler that is used to change presentation only,
                                > or call window.open, would not qualify as DOM scripting.

The argument Koch meantioned, if I recall, was that DOM scripting would
                                include "hardcoding" and event handler as that does change the generated
                                DOM.

> The real gray zone is, as you say, DHTML.

Yes and no. DHTML is also a buzzword that I was never comfortable with. Last
                                I heard, DHTML is supposed to stand for Dynamic HTML, but the guy who coined
                                it was, I believe, trying to describe JavaScript that dynamically changed
                                style properties in the document's object model ;-) This was, of course,
                                before the advent of Netscape 6 and IE6, when you still needed to use
                                proprietary ways to get at the DOM in Netecape 4 and IE4. Some scripters,
                                however, were early to work with getElementByID in addition to the legacy
                                methods.

I simply wanted to state for the masses that "DOM Scripting" is nothing more
                                than a non-standard term to describe certain approaches a programmer might
                                take in a JavaScript, and that the approach really does not need to be
                                named - unless one wants to make a point or to set his script apart in some
                                way from older scripts. It is not a new or different technology.

I'm sure you'll agree that nothing else really needs to be added :-)

--
                                Al Sparber - PVII
                                http://www.projectseven.com
                                Extending Dreamweaver - Nav Systems | Galleries | Widgets
                                Authors: "42nd Street: Mastering the Art of CSS Design"

• 13. Re: Open page in a new window..
                                  Level 7

> I'm sure you'll agree that nothing else really needs to be added :-)

LOL. Amen to that.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com

www.valleywebdesigns.com
                                  JustSo PictureWindow
                                  JustSo PhotoAlbum

--
                                  • 14. Re: Open page in a new window..
                                    Level 7
                                    Al Sparber- PVII wrote:

> I simply wanted to state for the masses that "DOM Scripting" is nothing
                                    > more than a non-standard term to describe certain approaches a
                                    > programmer might take in a JavaScript, and that the approach really does
                                    > not need to be named - unless one wants to make a point or to set his
                                    > script apart in some way from older scripts. It is not a new or
                                    > different technology.

After a night's sleep, i decided to respond to this statement. Al is
                                    certainly entitled to his opinion. But for anyone who might still be
                                    following this thread, as I will demonstrate, it is simply incorrect to
                                    say that Dom Scripting is nothing new. It really is.

But Al chose his words carefully. Is it new "technology"? Perhaps not,
                                    depending on how one defines "technology". But to spend time parsing
                                    that term is to overlook the larger issue that Al is making. He has
                                    argued here, and many times elsewhere, that those who advocate DOM
                                    Scripting are perpetrating some sort of hoax, suggesting those scripts
                                    are somehow better than other scripts.

I would make such a suggestion at all. There is an obvious need for
                                    both sorts of scripting. I myself have created many of each, and each
                                    has a perfectly legitimate purpose. But I do recognize that they each
                                    use their own sets of tools and techniques. They are simply different,
                                    one from the other, even if we have the luxury of using the same
                                    scripting language for both - just as use the same language to write
                                    poetry or prose, to write essays or novels.

Before getting to DOM scripting, let me begin by holding up AJAX -
                                    ignoring for now its merits and demerits - as an example of a technique
                                    that is (or was) new and different. It uses javascript to be sure, but
                                    what made it new and different was that it uses Objects and Methods that
                                    browsers did not (fully) support until recently. So it is not the
                                    javascript that is new and different, it is the Objects and Methods that
                                    are. In addition, over time, developers worked out better, more
                                    powerful and more effective ways of using them. Like AJAX or dislike
                                    it, it is new and different and allows us to do on the web things that
                                    could not be done before.

So too with Dom Scripting. Again it (usually) uses javascript. But what
                                    makes it new and different is that it employs Objects and Methods that
                                    modern browsers added only recently. They are new and different. They
                                    (or access to them anyway) were simply not there before.

Take a step back and look at DHTML. It was a valiant attempt to do what
                                    we now do far better with DOM Scripting. It used not the Document
                                    Object Model (DOM) but the Browser Object Model (BOM). It was a brave
                                    and clever few who could tame the wild and wooly incompatibilities
                                    created by each browser manufacturer with their unique BOMs. It too was
                                    new and different, as it was manipulating the BOM in ways that had not
                                    been done before.

Then, as a result of a large and vocal cadre of forward-thinking
                                    designers, the browser makers finally created browsers that stuck
                                    (some better than others) to defined Standards, and added real support
                                    for the various DOM Objects and their Methods. It is these that DOM
                                    Scripting manipulates, and it is these that distinguish it from DHTML
                                    (BOM) and non-DOM-Object-manipulating javascripts taht came before. And
                                    over time clever folk have figured out better and better ways of using
                                    it, with ever-more-clever scripts.

DOM Scripting is not rocket science, but to argue that it is not new and
                                    different simply ignores the fact that it is a methodology for
                                    manipulating Objects and Methods that simply did not exist before. It
                                    is based on a new and different paradigm, with a new set of tools and rules.

Al Sparber wrote:

> does not need to be named - unless one wants to make a point or to
                                    set his script apart in some way from older scripts It is not a new or
                                    different technology.

As I've shown above, in fact it IS new and different. The new Objects
                                    and Methods that modern browsers support *make* it new and different.
                                    They open amazing opportunities for creating useful, interesting, and
                                    powerful web sites (that are more likely to be cross-browser compatible,
                                    too.)

One does have to take the time to learn the details before diving in. If
                                    you are interested in learning more (and I for one have *lots* more to
                                    learn), there are some good books, among them

Jeremy Keith, "DOM Scripting" ( http://domscripting.com/),

Peter-Paul Koch, "PPK on Javscript" ( http://www.quirksmode.org/),

and many, many more.

There are also a zillion websites devoted to the subject. First you
                                    might want to read the Wikipedia entry,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOM_Scripting,

and then perhaps

http://www.webstandards.org/action/dstf/,

http://www.w3.org/DOM/

and links at http://clagnut.com/blog/364/,

to name just a very few.

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com