4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2007 7:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

Creating a Preview Site

zubie Level 1
      I am building a new site for a client, but he is not ready to go live yet. So, I created a folder called "preview" and my client goes to www.xxx.com/preview and can see his site in progress and links and all that. My question, when I am done the site I need to move all the files from the "preview" folder to the root directory. How am I going to do that without redoing all the links. I have tried a test and it does not seem to work! Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Creating a Preview Site
          Level 7
          zubie wrote:
          > I am building a new site for a client, but he is not ready to go live yet. So,
          > I created a folder called "preview" and my client goes to www.xxx.com/preview
          > and can see his site in progress and links and all that. My question, when I am
          > done the site I need to move all the files from the "preview" folder to the
          > root directory. How am I going to do that without redoing all the links. I have
          > tried a test and it does not seem to work! Thanks!
          >

Should work.

Just use the same file structure as your local root folder.

For instance if I created a local root folder named 'preview' I would
          have the index.htm file in there together with maybe an 'images' folder
          'main_pages' folder etc or you might just have everything loose in the
          site root, without any additional folders, just files.

You need to adhere to the same file structure as you local root folder
          when uploading. So I would upload my index.htm file to the server and
          upload my 'images' and 'main_pages' folders, which are locally inside my
          root folder. You don't upload the local root folder itself.

If I don't have any additional folders in the local root folder I would
          just pull all the files within the local root folder onto the server.

• 2. Re: Creating a Preview Site
            Level 7
            zubie wrote:
            > I am building a new site for a client, but he is not ready to go live yet. So,
            > I created a folder called "preview" and my client goes to www.xxx.com/preview
            > and can see his site in progress and links and all that. My question, when I am
            > done the site I need to move all the files from the "preview" folder to the
            > root directory. How am I going to do that without redoing all the links. I have
            > tried a test and it does not seem to work! Thanks!
            >
            Are you using Site Relative or Document Relative links? If I was doing
            what you are doing then I would use document relative links, that way
            the links don't break if you move the site up or down a level in your
            structure.

Personally in this situtaion I would use a sub-domain, that way its a
            proper preview, in that it has the files in the same position. When you
            go live it will be a matter or moving them over to the root of the server.

Steve
            • 3. Re: Creating a Preview Site
              zubie Level 1
              Thanks, let me see if I understand you correctly. Keep my index file in the preview folder )there are no other files as yet in the site) and outside of my preview folder create an images folder and keep all my images in there. All my additional pages would be kept loose in the root folder (ex. contact.htm, bio.htm). When I am ready I need to get the index file out of the preview folder into the root folder. When I move that one file, I think the links will automatically update to the files? Then just move it all onto the server?
              • 4. Re: Creating a Preview Site
                Level 7
                zubie wrote:
                > Thanks, let me see if I understand you correctly. Keep my index file in the
                > preview folder )

Forget the preview folder. That's a folder you created on your remote
                server, right? Or maybe you called your site root folder 'preview' (the
                one you created when first set up the site on your computer?)

You have a correct copy of this site locally on your computer, yes?
                Whether its in a folder named 'preview' or 'mickey_mouse' doesn't matter.

When you come to publish the site you should upload the index.htm, from
                your local site folder, (the one on your computer) directly onto the
                server into the folder indicated by your host. The folder where you
                uploaded the 'preview' folder.

Local root folders are only to keep everything together whilst working
                on your site away from the server. Local root folders are created at the
                time you set up your website on your computer. However when uploading
                you need to maintain the same file/folder structure to ensure the site
                works correctly.

there are no other files as yet in the site) and outside of my
                > preview folder create an images folder and keep all my images in there.

You don't necessarily need to create any additional folders within your
                local root folder, it just makes sense to make things easier to manage.
                If you have not done so this time then don't worry as you can just
                upload everything directly to the root folder on your server.

All my
                > additional pages would be kept loose in the root folder (ex. contact.htm,
                > bio.htm).

Thats fine so just upload them to the same place as your index.htm file
                i.e., directly onto the server in the folder your host indicated.

When I am ready I need to get the index file out of the preview
                > folder into the root folder.

Yes but do it from the correct site folder structure on your computer,
                not the 'preview' folder on the web-server.

When I move that one file, I think the links will
                > automatically update to the files?

If you upload from the local folder on your computer the links won't
                need to update as they should be correct.

Then just move it all onto the server?

Yes.