4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 2:53 AM by Andrew M

help with crosseyed 3d effects and techniques.

JerryCied Level 1

Hi

I dabble in crosseyed 3d.

This requires the left half of the stage to represent what the right eye will see, and the left eye sees the right half.

This is the format that youtube wants for its stereoscopic uploads.

I want to apply some 3d effects to my clips.

In order to have them appear correctly in cross eyed mode, (and therefore in any other mode that youtube displays), I need to manage the two sides independently.

Can I drag a 3d effect onto each side of the screen? But how do i assign each half its own camera.

If i could manage each half with its own timeline animations then i think i can get the desired result.

OR....

It would be better to have two cameras looking upon the same scene, and have each camera project onto the left and right sides.

Either approach would probably have its advantages and disadvantages.

I can't get either technique to work.

Where can i go to find out how to do these types of tricks?

I've searched the tutorials and (of course) none of them have much info that can help me.

So i am asking you folks if you have any advice or techniques that i may use.

I have seen demos of a video

• 1. Re: help with crosseyed 3d effects and techniques.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE's 3D filter cannot be used for crosseyed 3D. You'd use 2 cameras linked together with their point of interest locked together with and expression and the camera's also tied together but offset by about the same amount as the distance between your eyes.

To figure out the distance you have to convert inches or millimeters to pixels in the same way that an AE camera does. Fortunately there's an easy way to do this. The average distance between human eyes is about 64mm, or 2.5 inches. If you go to AE's camera settings can type in 64mm for the film size then change the units to pixels and you'll get about 182 pixels. That's about how far the cameras need to be apart from one another. The farther apart they are, up to a point, the more pronounced the 3D effect.

So here's how you'd set up your comp.

1. Figure out what size you want the finished project when you have both images side by side
          2. Set up a comp that is full height but only half width of the final composition.
          3. Add a camera with a normal focal length (the default of 50mm is a good place to start)
          4. Duplicate the camera
          5. Name one camera LeftCamera, the other RightCamera
          6. Add the following expressions to the Point of Interest and Position of the RightCamera:
          7. to the point of interest:

thisComp.layer("Left Camera").pointOfInterest

to the Position:

p = thisComp.layer("LeftCamera").position;
            [p[0]+182, p[1], p[2]]

Now the comp is set up with a pair of stereo vision cameras. The expression on the Point of Interest can be created simply by dragging with the pickwhip and it ties the two points together. The second expression defines the camera position of the RightCamera as the same as the Left camera but adds 182 pixels to the Right Lens X position. Now you need to create a 3D null and position it between the two cameras. You could simply copy the Left Camera position and paste it to the nulls position then add 182 to the X position. Finally, lock both cameras so that you don't accidentally foul up the relationship and animate the camera using the null.

Once your composition is complete duplicate the comp in the Project Window and name one comp right camera, the other comp left camera. The last step is to create a new comp that is twice the width of your original comps, place the left camera comp on the right side and the right camera comp on the left side then make sure that only the right camera is on in the right comp and only the left camera is visible in the left comp. Do this by turning off the eyeball of the appropriate camera.

Now render away and yo've got your cross-eyed 3D movie. I've never tried this, but I have done a lot of research on 3D and this should get you started. You'll have to watch out if you change anything in one of the camera comps. If you do, you must delete the other, then duplicate the changed comp and replace it in the final render comp.

Let me know if you have any other questions. This should get you going. I've never been able to get cross eyed 3D to work for me, but I'd still like to see the result of some testing.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: help with crosseyed 3d effects and techniques.
            troychurch Adobe Employee

While I've not tried the cross-eyed 3D output, I know of a couple of excellent resources for learning about stereoscopic cinema workflows, and even setting up stereo camera rigs and comp structures in AE  --- including ennabling output to various 3D viewing technologies.

1. Stereoscopic 3D in After Effects - a video title from digitaltutors.com

2. Stereoscopic 3D workflow in AE (AE scripts and Vimeo video tutorials by Chris Keller)

3. 3D Movie Making: Stereoscopic Digital Cinema for Script to Screen

4. Intro to Stereoscopic - Class from fxphd.com

Update: I forgot possibly the easiest way (if the more expensive) - Stereo 3D Toolbox plug-in from Noise Industries. They have a couple of videos that show how to set up a simple stereoscopic composition structure.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: help with crosseyed 3d effects and techniques.
              JerryCied Level 1

Rick and Troy

I am very greatfull for the quality of your responses.

I am overwhelmed with all kinds of new information and techniques for my projects.

I have a life long love for stereo scopic effect.

I created a crude 3d computer display screen in 1989 using the plastic lenticular array from a childs toy and my CRT.

It was low resolution but managed to get a moving image that had 6 views so that i could move my head to the left and right to get different angles on the image. All without any glasses or crossing eyes. just looking normally at it.

I also designed (on paper) a globe consisting of tiny glass spheres representing pixels and each pixel had some 100 fiber optic threads connected to it such that the globe produced a 3d image that could be viewed from any angle.

Anyway Thank you both very much!

Jerry C

• 4. Re: help with crosseyed 3d effects and techniques.
                Andrew M

We also have AE stereoscopic 3d tutorials on Enhanced Dimensions (http://www.enhanced-dimensions.com/wordpress/?p=709) and quite a number listed on The Stereoscopic 3D Channel TESTBED on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/groups/steroscopic3dchanneltestbed/forumthread:11584)

Andrew Murchie
                www.enhanced-dimensions.com