15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 8:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?

Mesmer3001

Hi -

I recently installed the Production Premium suite on a mac running snow leopard, and ran all the updates. Premiere is at version 4.2.1. When I create a new sequence, these are my preset options:

NewSequence.png

Am I missing the XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD presets, or am I just not looking in the right place?

Incidentally, when I installed the suite, I ran into a problem where After Effects wouldn't launch. This was solved by uninstalling and reinstalling that particular app. I got an error message right at the end of that re-installation (a generic DONE WITH ERRORS), but everything has been working just fine with that program. Is it possible Premiere was affected by my re-install of AE? 

Thanks for your help.

Ed

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Unfortunately, your installation is busted. The last few updates have had this really bad habit. The only solution is to completely install the suite (EVERYTHING, not just misbehaving apps like Premiere), run the Adobe CS4 Cleanscript, and reinstall. Really annoying, but unfortunately, it's the only solution.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

So MAC's are affected as well as PC's.One would hope they correct this issue now.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
              Mesmer3001 Level 1

Thanks, I was afraid of that. One other question before I give this a shot: Do I need to deactivate CS4 on my computer before uninstalling it?

Ed

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                Matt Petersen Level 3

Since you'll be running CleanScript, I'd say yes.

MP

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                  Mesmer3001 Level 1

Well, that almost worked.

I uninstalled CS4, ran CleanScript, re-booted the computer, and then re-installed CS4. First thing I did was check Premiere Pro, and the missing sequence presets were there. Second thing I did was check After Effects, and it would not launch, which was the same thing that happened when I originally installed the Production suite. So I uninstalled AE and then reinstalled it. After Effects now works, but my presets are missing again from Premiere. I'm back to square one.

Any ideas?

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to deactivate, uninstall the complete suite, run Clean Script 2 or 3 times, install, activate and update.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                      Mesmer3001 Level 1

Thanks, Harm. I did all those things you mention above, with the   exception of running CleanScript 2 or 3 times - I only ran it once,   and it didn't find anything. So you're saying if I had run it a second   or even third time, it would have found stuff it missed on the first   go-around?

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly before I go   through the long process of uninstalling/reinstalling again.

Ed

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You understood correctly, with one additional action on your side : Reboot after each run of Clean Script.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Also, in addition to what Harm said, make sure that you run NO other programs when installing or uninstalling. The Adobe installers, plain and simple, suck; I read a blog post recently from the deployment team and they acknowledged how bad the installation process is, and how poorly it functions under specific circumstances. For instance, running Firefox while trying to install is a big no-no--installation will completely fail.

So be sure to reboot before installing, and also before uninstalling. Don't run any other applications before you do either.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                            Mesmer3001 Level 1

I gave it another try, and I now have both After Effects launching and otherwise behaving as it should, and I have the missing sequence presets back in Premiere. I followed both your instructions to the letter, making sure not to open any other programs during the installation process and rebooting the computer after each step. I even ran CleanScript four times, just to make sure. (It didn't find anything, but perhaps it helped anyway?)

One other thing I did differently was to avoid the Adobe Updater. After installing CS4 this latest time, the first thing I did before adding any of the updates was to check After Effects (it launched) and Premiere (the presets were all there). On my first two installations, I just went straight from installation to having Adobe Updater download and install all the updates. It's possible that things were working fine, and the problems were introduced during the mass installation of all the updates. So this time, starting with After Effects, I downloaded just the 9.0.2 update and installed it, rebooted, and then checked both AE and Premiere - everything was still fine. Then I did the same with the 4.2.1 update for Premiere, rebooted, and checked them both - still fine. I ended up doing each app one at a time, checking along the way to make sure no particular update broke anything else in the suite. It was probably a bit overkill after those first two, but I was so close, I didn't want to screw it up by being careless.

Incidentally, after that second installation didn't work, I submitted a ticket to Adobe Customer Support. They got back to me last night, and their solution was to just download the plugins for the missing presets here:

www.adobe.com/products/plugins/premiere/

If anyone else is having difficulty, maybe that's another way to go.
                            Thanks again for your advice.
                            Ed

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              Incidentally, after that second installation didn't work, I submitted a ticket to Adobe Customer Support. They got back to me last night, and their solution was to just download the plugins for the missing presets here:
                              www.adobe.com/products/plugins/premiere/

If anyone else is having difficulty, maybe that's another way to go.

Yeah, that sounds like the perfectly worthless Adobe support. That link takes you to a page where you can link to other companies' third-party plugins--they don't come from Adobe, and they don't do anything to bring back missing presets, unfortunately. Maybe it was the language barrier... who knows?

The whole hub-bub about how poor Adobe's end-user support was and that they were "gonna get right on that" obviously hasn't taken effect yet

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                                Chad Baker Adobe Employee

I am reluctant to suggest troubleshooting steps for an installation that ends "with errors". Usually in those cases it's best to clean the machine, make sure nothing else is running (anti-virus, reg cleaners, anything...) then reinstall as an admin user. Otherwise you end up untangling one knot to reveal another.

That being said, I have resolved problems with missing presets in Premiere Pro by deleting the plugin cache file. That's: [User]/Library/Preferences/com.Adobe.Premiere Pro.4.0.plist

Close Premiere. Nuke that file. Launch Premiere. Give that a try and see if it helps bring back the missing presets. It's worked well for me in the past.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                                  kevinmcc08

Chad,

What's the solution to this problem on Windows Vista?

Thanks,

-Kevin

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Chad.

Nice to see you on "this side of the fence." Thanks for responding.

BTW - nice job with the PrE nVidia issues!

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 - Missing Sequence Presets?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Many of the Presets are included in the additional Functional Content. If you installed from a download, it is very likely that you missed the second installer. If from a DVD, then something likely got in the way of a complete installation. If you do a Repair Install, it is likely that you will be given the option to install the Functional Content at that time.

For general installation, this ARTICLE might help you get you Adobe program installed correctly.

Good luck,

Hunt