3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 4:03 PM by ~graffiti

Adobe reader wont read any files, including downloads

Four_Nords

Hi, recently my laptop (windows Vista) received a virus, and when i got rid of it, adobe reader 9 will no longer read files. It wont run my McAfee unless i run it in administrator, and wont open any files. When i tried to download Adobe Reader 9 again, the immediate install doesnt work. when i click on the alternate link, and run the file, it says Adobe Reader cannot read the file because it is either not a supported file type, or is a damaged file. any help? I am getting very frustrated with this. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe reader wont read any files, including downloads
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may try uninstalling it. After that, download and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to get rid of any traces of Reader then try to rein

stall.

• 2. Re: Adobe reader wont read any files, including downloads
            Four_Nords Level 1

do you think i could try it without downloading the microsoft program? because i looked it up on microsofts website and they said you may have to reinstall previously downloaded programs if you use it. and i dont want to go through that. also, do i need Adobe Reader 9 to download files? because it keeps asking me to use Adobe Reader 9 every time i try to re download it, so im wondering if ill be able to download the file without Adobe Reader 9. sorry if thats a dumb question.

• 3. Re: Adobe reader wont read any files, including downloads
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Four_Nords wrote:

do you think i could try it without downloading the microsoft program?

Maybe if you are familiar with the dangerous practice of editing registry files. With the intaller utility, you will be able to choose what to remove. It's not going to remove anything you don't want it to.

Four_Nords wrote:

also, do i need Adobe Reader 9 to download files? because it keeps asking me to use Adobe Reader 9 every time i try to re download it,

To read PDF files, you'll need Adobe Reader (or a third party PDF reader) yes.