4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 11:06 AM by kdb10000

Choosing Format for DVD Output

kdb10000 Level 1

I get very confused by all the format options. What I want to create is a DVD for playback on a high-def display. I will make the DVD in iDVD or something after I render out my movie.

I don't know if they will be playing back on an anamorphic DVD player or not, but definitely not Blu-ray. It will be a hi-def widescreen display. Please help me get set up for this.

Do I select a 1920 x 1080 resolution? Should I choose "HDTV 1080 29.97" (NTSC here)? When I render, do I do a field render? Lower field first?

Or should I choose a "NTSC D1 Widescreen" or some other format?

I just dont know how to get started.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Choosing Format for DVD Output
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
          Do I select a 1920 x 1080 resolution?

Only if you're going to Blu-Ray or some other HD-capable delivery medium. DVDs are always standard definition.

When I render, do I do a field render? Lower field first?

If you're using standard 29.97, you can render to lower field first, yes.

But DVDs can also be 24p (23.976, progressive), and DVD players usually are capable of playing that back "as is" or add pull-down so that it plays back at 29.97 fps on older NTSC TV sets.

Or should I choose a "NTSC D1 Widescreen" or some other format?

NTSC D1 is for broadcast TV (720x486). For DVD, you should pick "NTSC DV Widescreen" or the 23.976 flavor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Choosing Format for DVD Output
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the "high-def display" 720p, 1080i, or 1080p? That would help determine what sort of settings you're using, IF they're not using an ordinary DVD player.

You say they're not using a Blu-Ray player, but are they playing it off of a computer?

If they're playing it off of an ordinary DVD player, PLEASE tell me it does upconverting. If not, your video will look like crap. SD content, as Adolfo said, is the only kind that can be played off of a DVD. And SD content looks like hell on an HD system without upconversion. (Upconverting is still nothing to write home about.)

Again, if they are using an ordinary DVD player, just follow what Adolfo said.

When you render out your final product from AE though, I would suggest you render it out as a lossless AVI or Quicktime and use Adobe's Media Encoder, iDVD, Encore, or some other program to do the MPEG-2 (only format allowed on DVD's) encoding. AE can't do multipass encoding which greatly improves the visual quality of MPEG files.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Choosing Format for DVD Output
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              If they're playing it off of an ordinary DVD player, PLEASE tell me it does upconverting. If not, your video will look like crap

It doesn't have to look that bad.  Quality SD content, if it's encoded well, can actually look quite nice. Most DVD players with an HDMI output will upconvert. It's not as good as HD content, but that would require a Blu-Ray player (and burner, of course), or a hard disk based device like the Apple TV, WD TV, Popcorn Hour, etc. (or a computer, of course).

• 4. Re: Choosing Format for DVD Output
                kdb10000 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. This will be shown on a 1080p display through a DVD player. I will just have to make sure it is an upconverting DVD player if possible.

So it sounds like I want to choose "NTSC DV Widescreen" @ 29.97fps and lower field first rendering. And I will be saving it out in a lossless QuickTime format, allowing iDVD or a similar program to handle the converstion to MPEG-2 and DVD format.

Unless someone wants to stop me now, that's what I am going with.

THANKS for the advice!!