6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change

russelbash786978678578678

Hi All,

I work for a school and as you may imagine, our servers can become pretty full, pretty quick when our students are doing a media editing course. Our biggest problem is the conformed audio *shudder!* folders so to resolve our problem, I'd like to change the location of where the conformed audio is saved (e.g. to a NAS box).

I know this can be done locally by going to:

Edit --> Preferences --> Scratch Disks

but where does it save this change? Is it in the registry or an obscure settings file hidden away somewhere? If I can find out, I can roll this out across the network using a GPO or similar...

Thanks

Nick

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The locations are Saved to the .PREL (Project) file for each Project and also in the Prefs file (location will depend on the installation, and probably the OS and version. That file is but an XML database of links (locations of all Asset files used in the Project), and instructions on on what to do to those Assets). This ARTICLE will give you more background, plus discuss the differences between the three types of Save (Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy).

Now, the Scratch Disk location is set, in Preferences, when the Project is started. This creates a problem, but PrE will help work past that. First, CFA and PEK files, can be Deleted, and will be recreated, when the Project is Opened. PrE will help the user find the new location to the previously linked Assets, and one must only navigate to that new location and choose the first "missing" file. All others, that are in the same folder and used in that Project, will be re-linked automatically. If necessary Assets are in other folders, the procedure will need to be repeated for each folder with Assets.

With that said, I must add that PrE (and even PrPro) is not designed to work over a network. They both are designed to work on local storage disks. Next, even a gigabit NAS is too slow to edit to/from. I use one to store Assets, but always Copy those locally, to edit.

If you wish to try this, I would first do a Save_As_a_Copy for the Project(s). Change the Edit>Prefs>Scratch Disk location. I'd close PrE, and then re-launch it, Opening the Save_As_a_Copy and test carefully. This keeps the original Project untouched. The CFA and PEK files will be regenerated in the new location. This will happen, even if you Moved the original CFA's and PEK's. If you have moved the Assets too, re-link them through the navigation screen. Test.

Unfortunately, due to the speed of the NAS connection, and the design of PrE, I think you will find that things are just too slow to actually use. I'd do this as a test, well before class, so that the students do not just sit and look on in frustration. By design, PrE really does like local HDD's. Were you not in a lab situation, I'd just recommend additional internal HDD's, but in an academic setting, that gets expensive. One thing that I can suggest is a fast external HDD. I migrate my Projects between computers, and use FW-800 externals, that have Copies of the Assets, the Project and all Scratch Disks on them. Each external has the drive letter assignment the same in the OS of each computer, so Z:\ is always Z:\ on all of these. I found that FW-400's were too slow for me, and USB's slower still, plus filled with other issues (do not use USB). If one had eSATA connections, that would be the ultimate, as it will perform to about 95% of an internal HDD.

Hope that this helps, even with all the bad news.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change
            russelbash786978678578678 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know that saving over a network is not ideal but it's how we've been using it for the past couple of years (saving to a user's personal network storage space) and yep, we notice a bit of slow-down... but it isn't drastic. Premiere is still very much usable. Saving locally is just not practical in a school becasue you have to ensure that a student ONLY works on that machine everytime. So we take the speed sacrafice for that luxury. We have considered issuing USB drives to students but then that opens up a whole load more problems! I think you can't win basically!

Anyway, are you saying that the .PREL file is where the scratch disk preferences are saved? I think this file is saved to where ever a student chooses to save the project they're working on - does this sound correct? I've opened it in Notepad but I can't find anything in there which refers to the storage of 'conformed audio' (or any other scratch disk data).

As for this Prefs file; I know you say it's location varies... but I've not managed to find it. Would it usually be the Premiere installation directory? Could it be that the scratch disk settings are saved in that? Sorry if I'm sounding a little dumb with this...!

Thanks again

Nick

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:01:15 -0700

To: nick3young@hotmail.com

Subject: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change

The locations are Saved to the .PREL (Project) file for each Project and also in the Prefs file (location will depend on the installation, and probably the OS and version. That file is but an XML database of links (locations of all Asset files used in the Project), and instructions on on what to do to those Assets). This http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30 will give you more background, plus discuss the differences between the three types of Save (Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy).

Now, the Scratch Disk location is set, in Preferences, when the Project is started. This creates a problem, but PrE will help work past that. First, CFA and PEK files, can be Deleted, and will be recreated, when the Project is Opened. PrE will help the user find the new location to the previously linked Assets, and one must only navigate to that new location and choose the first "missing" file. All others, that are in the same folder and used in that Project, will be re-linked automatically. If necessary Assets are in other folders, the procedure will need to be repeated for each folder with Assets.

With that said, I must add that PrE (and even PrPro) is not designed to work over a network. They both are designed to work on local storage disks. Next, even a gigabit NAS is too slow to edit to/from. I use one to store Assets, but always Copy those locally, to edit.

If you wish to try this, I would first do a Save_As_a_Copy for the Project(s). Change the Edit>Prefs>Scratch Disk location. I'd close PrE, and then re-launch it, Opening the Save_As_a_Copy and test carefully. This keeps the original Project untouched. The CFA and PEK files will be regenerated in the new location. This will happen, even if you Moved the original CFA's and PEK's. If you have moved the Assets too, re-link them through the navigation screen. Test.

Unfortunately, due to the speed of the NAS connection, and the design of PrE, I think you will find that things are just too slow to actually use. I'd do this as a test, well before class, so that the students do not just sit and look on in frustration. By design, PrE really does like local HDD's. Were you not in a lab situation, I'd just recommend additional internal HDD's, but in an academic setting, that gets expensive. One thing that I can suggest is a fast external HDD. I migrate my Projects between computers, and use FW-800 externals, that have Copies of the Assets, the Project and all Scratch Disks on them. Each external has the drive letter assignment the same in the OS of each computer, so Z:\ is always Z:\ on all of these. I found that FW-400's were too slow for me, and USB's slower still, plus filled with other issues (do not use USB). If one had eSATA connections, that would be the ultimate, as it will perform to about 95% of an internal HDD.

Hope that this helps, even with all the bad news.

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nick,

I'll have to check the exact location. There are two places that the Scratch Disk info is stored: the first is the location specified in the Project for that Project, and the other is in the Prefs file, which is global. The location that I will give you will be for PrE 4, on XP-Pro on my setup, so one might have to interpolate a bit.

Over the years, I have filed Feature Requests (for several Adobe programs) to add more network support, primarily for academic situations, such as yours. Though not a teacher, I see posts, similar to yours about once per quarter, and understand the security and workflow needs.

Good luck, and back in a few -

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here is the location of MY Prefs file: C:\Documents & Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\4.0. The file is Adobe Premiere Elements.Prefs. You might need to do a Search for a similar file. Adobe does change the names of their Prefs files (and obviously the exact location) by the program and versions. Remember, this is for PrE 4.0 on an XP-Pro OS - your location might well be different.

Good luck, and do file a Feature Request. On the PrPro forum, we are lucky to have one Adobe employee, in the Corporate Product area. We've offered suggestions for the networked "lab" situation, as it applies to both business and to academia. He is aware of this issue, plus has Feature Requests to show to the development team. The more requests, the higher the priority will be for the development team. Not sure what it will take, but if they are aware of a pressing need, who knows, maybe PrE 9 and PrPro CS5?

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change
                  russelbash786978678578678 Level 1

Thanks so much for your help with that... I don't think I'll have ever found it hidden away in there.

I think I'm going to create a little batch file which will 1st copy a central Prefs file to the user's App Data folder followed by actually running Premiere.

Just out of interest though; is there a way of getting Premiere to look for the Prefs file in an alternate location? This would be much tider as we could just get all workstations to point at a single Prefs file (for example, on the NAS box).

Thanks

Nick

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0: Scratch Disk Location Network Change
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    is there a way of getting Premiere to look for the Prefs file in an alternate location? This would be much tider as we could just get all workstations to point at a single Prefs file (for example, on the NAS box).

Nick,

I haven't a clue. My guess would be that the location is hard-coded into PrE, but cannot say with certainty, as there might be an .INI file, or similar, that PrE looks in. Only someone, who has taken PrE apart, or put it together would be able to give you the definitive answer.

You might want to poke around, looking for .INI's (do not know what other file types might be used), and open them in an editor to see if you can find the .PREFS location.

Good luck,

Hunt