4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 5:14 AM by Authorwho

Captivate Localization Tips

Authorwho Level 1

Does anyone have any tips, best practices, horror stories, etc, and taking existing Captivate courses (v3 currently) and updating them to multi-lingual?
      The import/export to Word option seems better than expected, but it looks like each text object will need to be manually manipulated after text re-import.
      Then there's the audio syncing. I stumble with English, much less: Latin American Spanish, Canadian French and Portuguese ; )
      Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks!!

Mark Steiner

• 1. Re: Captivate Localization Tips
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

What do you mean by "to be manually manipulated" (think you are talking about the Text Captions)? Do you have 'Autosize Captions' turned on in Edit, Preferences, Global, Defaults? I'm doing a lot of localization with the Word Import/export workflow, with this option.

As to the audio syncing: since every language has his own rythm, and even number of words is different, how can you expect software to realize this synchronisation itself? I believe that is something impossible to expect.

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: Captivate Localization Tips
            Authorwho Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

That's a good point, as for me, the autosize captions on option usually

causes much pain.  So turn that on, then import and see what happens.

Understood about audio syncing (perhaps in Cp v6.0? ; ) but wondered if

there were any other tips or strategies towards a non-native

speaker/Captivate developer re-syncing audio to a language they don't know.

The quickest way from A to B is . . .

Many thanks,

Mark

• 3. Re: Captivate Localization Tips
              Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

Another idea about audio-sync: perhaps someone could work out to use the two channels and have two languages in sync, outputting to the wanted channel (in mono then) in some way. Would not know myself how, but believe this could be a way. But more than 2 languages?

Lilybiri

PS: let me know if the Autosize is working? I also turn it off originally, but before importing new captions I turn it on. It will not be perfect, but always saves some editing time.

• 4. Re: Captivate Localization Tips
                Authorwho Level 1

They will be translated into Latin American Spanish, Canadian French and Portuguese.  My understanding is that these languages are generally 20% longer than English.   Thanks for the autosize captions tip . . .