2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 1:52 PM by Larry Patrick

Adobe reader 9.3 hangs when I try to open a file on my Mac

Larry Patrick

I downloaded Adobe Reader 9.1 on my Mac PowerPC (OS X 10.4.11) some time ago and used it successfully (for some NIH grant stuff).

I usually just use preview to view pdf files so I had not used it for awhile then when I recently tried to open a pdf file with the Adobe Reader, the file opened in a window but then the program hung and I had to force quit.

I decided to get a new version so I downloaded Adobe Reader 9.3 and still have the same problem. I figure there must be a system file somewhere that is used by the Reader that is causing this.

I'd appreciate any info or advice.

• 1. Re: Adobe reader 9.3 hangs when I try to open a file on my Mac
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you open Reader standalone (without opening a file)?

If so do that and try help>Repair Adobe Reader installation.

That would be the easiest thing to try.

If it doesn't do the trick, you can try some of the suggestions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328924.html. There are a ton of them. Even though it mentions Acrobat, a lot of the suggestions can be used for Reader as well.

• 2. Re: Adobe reader 9.3 hangs when I try to open a file on my Mac
            Larry Patrick Level 1

I did try opening Reader without opening a file and it still hung.

Thanks for suggestion to look at the postings at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328924.html

In the meantime, it seems that the problem has resolved itself. I needed the Reader to work with fillable form files from the NIH that have imbedded pdf files attached to them. I can open the files with Preview but can't get at the attachments. I just dumped one of the files into Safari and everything works as it's supposed to with Adobe Reader including being able to click on a tab and have an attachment pop up. If the attachment is a pdf file, then it calls Adobe Reader (which I had set as my default pdf reader). At first it looked like the Adobe Reader window with the file was hanging as usual. After a short time though, the file had been opened and the Reader was no longer hung. And NOW when I try to open any other pdf files with Adobe Reader, there is no problem. I don't understand it but I'm glad it's now working.