Non-Disclosure Agreements preclude anyone who knows anything about CS5 from discussing it. If you think you'll benefit from an upgrade now, do it. If not, wait.
Over in the Premiere forum, discussing the new Mecury playback engine that works with some nVidia cards, an UN-VERIFIED comment was made to look for a product in a couple months
But, since that was not an official Adobe announcement, I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting
Thanks, of course I would like to upgrade, even more so now adobe are offering me 15% off, but not if I upgrade and then end up landing myself in the same situation in a month or 2
I think i'll hold out for some news
Every upgrade cycle is similar.
Adobe, and other vendors, offered discounts at around the same time prior to CS, CS2, CS2.3 and CS3.
I'm also receiving deeply discounted offers for CS4 training materials from various vendors.
Tells me that CS5 is coming but it's not here yet.
Is there any signs of a CS5 release date yet?
No. There won't be one until Adobe makes an official announcement.
Looking at what has happened in the past, new versions of the Creative Suite have been released 18-24 months after the previous one. CS4 was released in October 2008. If Adobe sticks to the same release pattern, you're looking at somewhere between April and October this year. On the other hand, Adobe might have completely different plans this time.
Simon, I've heard (but don't bank on what I've heard) that Adobe will upgrade you for free if you buy an earlier version during the time that a 'next' version has been announced. However, if you purchased CS4 before the release date of CS5 has been announced. Rumors are pointing at April for the release. If you can hang on another month or so, it would be to your benefit. Adobe has been working on some significant changes; particularly in the 64-bit arena.
Yes, in the past Adobe has offered such "grace periods" on major product cycles and we're trying to find out whether there will be one with CS5 as well (expected soon now http://bit.ly/9mj4sV), whereby if you buy CS4 after the announcement of CS5 (but before it ships), you would get CS4 to download immediately and then a free upgrade to CS5 later once it ships...
If so, you could possibly have the best of both worlds. Will be following the story closely and post word on our blog once we hear.
In this discussion http://forums.adobe.com/thread/595252?tstart=0 there is a link to someone saying he found pre-sale info at Amazon.UK saying CS5 books will be sold beginning in July... so I will guess CS5 will also be available