16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 10:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?

Pemser

My attempt to import a 4 Gb avi file from an external hard drive is blocked by a generic failure. One of the suggested reason do not apply, namely the file (.avi) IS supported. Yes, it may be damaged, but it plays perfectly outside PE4. Or 'one of the necessary components may not have been installed'--if so which one?

Does anyone have a similar experience, and/or a solution.

Pemser

• 1. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>import a 4 Gb avi file from an external hard drive

2 likely causes

1 is the external drive is USB and therefore the connection is not fast enough for video work

2 is the file itself is hiding a compressed CODEC inside that avi wrapper

Use the free GSPOT utility (search the forum or google for a link) and report back with the codec

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
            Kodebuster Level 3

4 gig on a confirmed DV-AVI type file is relatively small, as I've placed AVI files in excess of 50 gig on the Timeline with no issue.

What you need to determine is if in fact the file you are working with is DV-AVI (Type 1 or Type 2).

In many instances the fact the the file extension is .avi, that may not be a true representation of what lies under the covers.

So the recommendation as stated is to use G-Spot to see the files true format.

G-Spot can be found here:

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/index.html

Once you post those results, folks would better positioned to help you along...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you a lot more background on the AVI "wrapper," to which John T. Smith alludes, plus tell you what to look for with G-Spot.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - USB drives have proved problematic over the years, due to read/write failures. They work to store/archive files, but not so well to edit to/from. When you Copy this file to an internal HDD, does it Import?

• 4. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                Pemser Level 1

Thanks for your helpful replies. As advi

sed have run Gspot with the following results

: 1)

In the container box, the compatibility note says

the DV is type 1 AVI; it refers to Multipart OpenDMLAVI 5 parts (29682 frames in first part, 0 frames follow);

2) In the vido box the codec is dvsd, the name is DVC/DV Video and the status is 'codec(s) are installed;

3) The proposed solutions and test box is blank.

Hope that is suffiecient for you to diagnose something

Meanwhile, thanks for your interest

Pemser

• 5. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                  Pemser Level 1

Thanks for your helpful replies. As advi

sed have run Gspot with the following results

the DV is type 1 AVI; it refers to Multipart OpenDMLAVI 5 parts (29682 frames in first part, 0 frames follow);

2) In the vido box the codec is dvsd, the name is DVC/DV Video and the status is 'codec(s) are installed;

Pemser

• 6. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                    Pemser Level 1

Have now used Gspot with the follow

inging results:

Regarding the possible USB problem, the file in question is on a MyBook external hard drive connected by firewire.

Pemser

• 7. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You also don't say if you are downloading this file to your C drive or to an external drive, but that could be very relevant -- especially if either drive is formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS. FAT32 drives have a file size limit -- 4 gig, by the way -- that could be choking out this file.

To see, open My Computer, right-click on each drive and select Properties.

• 8. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                        Pemser Level 1

The normal hard drive is NFFS. The external drive with the file in question (3.99 GB) is FAT32. Am beginning to think that is the problem.

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:24:51 -0700

To: ellwoodp@hotmail.com

Subject: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?

You also don't say if you are downloading this file to your C drive or to an external drive, but that could be very relevant -- especially if either drive is formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS. FAT32 drives have a file size limit -- 4 gig, by the way -- that could be choking out this file.

To see, open My Computer, right-click on each drive and select Properties.

>

• 9. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops,

It helps if I furnish the link to that ARTICLE.

Sorry about that,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            The external drive with the file in question (3.99 GB) is FAT32. Am beginning to think that is the problem.

Yes, FAT-32 limits the file size to ~ 4GB, while the NTSF drive will allow virtually any Duration/File Size.

Also, I have found it much better to Copy over from most externals, especially USB externals. Besides a very slow speed, USB devices suffer from Read/Write errors, when a moderately fast computer is trying to use them for editing. Also, many are only 5400 RPM, which can cause major playback issues.

I edit to/from FW-800 7200RPM externals, but only use USB, or FW-400 as archival storage, and will just Copy those files over to an internal HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                              Pemser Level 1

Thanks for thinking of that. Your link is very useful--novice-clear in fact. I meanwhile ran Gspot and found the file is a DV type 1 AVI. If that is the explanation, is there a simple way of creating a type II AVI from a DV tape source?

Appreciate your attention

Pemser

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:30:17 -0700

Oops,

It helps if I furnish the link to that http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0.

Sorry about that,

Hunt

>

• 12. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, PrE should have no problem with Type I files. PrPro is not quite so lenient, but most work fine there too. The limit, that few encounter, is that Type I's have a limited Duration, but we're talking about a long Duration vs a very long Duration (hours). I'd leave the Type I's alone. In a worst-case, you might need to hit the Enter key to Render for perfect playback.

WMM will only Export to Type I's, but it still works quite well with PrE, for both Import>Export, as well as Capture from cameras/recorders, that PrE will not recognize. As I am usually going with my chosen conversion program, I just adjust the Export to Type II going in, so do not need to deal with any Type I's. I use my conversion program, because it does a good job, and has a batch conversion capability. I just load up a bunch of different formats/CODEC's, check my Export/conversion settings, and hit Convert. After a cup, or two, of coffee, it's all done for me. No Scaling, no Rendering. They just Import and edit fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>The external drive with the file in question (3.99 GB) is FAT32

Go here http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Enter

convert fat32 ntfs

Read the article about converting your drive to ntfs

• 14. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                                    Pemser Level 1

Thanks for all the advice. Problem now solved: as suggested, I simply moved the file back onto the C drive and PE4 accepts it. Just one question, what do you use to export to Type IIs?

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:39:42 -0700

Actually, PrE should have no problem with Type I files. PrPro is not quite so lenient, but most work fine there too. The limit, that few encounter, is that Type I's have a limited Duration, but we're talking about a long Duration vs a very long Duration (hours). I'd leave the Type I's alone. In a worst-case, you might need to hit the Enter key to Render for perfect playback.

WMM will only Export to Type I's, but it still works quite well with PrE, for both Import>Export, as well as Capture from cameras/recorders, that PrE will not recognize. As I am usually going with my chosen conversion program, I just adjust the Export to Type II going in, so do not need to deal with any Type I's. I use my conversion program, because it does a good job, and has a batch conversion capability. I just load up a bunch of different formats/CODEC's, check my Export/conversion settings, and hit Convert. After a cup, or two, of coffee, it's all done for me. No Scaling, no Rendering. They just Import and edit fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 15. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                                      Pemser Level 1

Thanks for your help. Immediate problem solved by moving the file from the FAT32 to the NTFS drive. Will look into converting all to NTFS.

Pemser

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:42:22 -0700

>The external drive with the file in question (3.99 GB) is FAT32

Go here http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Enter

convert fat32 ntfs

Read the article about converting your drive to ntfs

>

• 16. Re: Is there a size limit on importing avi files in PE4?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I found DigitalMedia Converter years ago. I liked it so much, that I bought a copy for each of my computers (rather than just have one running it and using the LAN to move files about). I have an upgrade discount certificate, but have not yet upgraded my copies.

The things that I like about it are that it's quick, has "batch conversion" and that it does NOT install any CODEC's, but it uses all that I have properly installed. It works 99% of the time, just perfectly.

The only issue that I have ever encountered are with Duration and PrPro. Sometimes, the DV-AVI Type II's will Import into PrPro, but their Duration will not be correct - maybe 01:40:00 out of a 30:00:00 real Duration. My workaround for this behavior is to just Import the problem file into PrE 4 (in my case), and immediately do an Export/Share to DV-AVI Type II. I know, that's the same exact format/CODEC, but now, PrPro sees the correct Duration perfectly. Why? I have no clue. I have tried everything that I could to find out the differences, to no avail. The files show exactly the same in G-Spot and also spec out as identical in DupeFile Finder. Still, there has to be some difference, and PrPro picks up on that, and does not recognize the correct Duration. PrE 4 always has. This is extremely odd, as I can batch convert 4 parts of a file with the same exact CODEC, say DivX, and 3 of the 4 will have the correct Duration in PrPro - 1 will not, until I use PrE to "correct" things. Some day, I will find out the "why," but until then, I have an iron-clad workaround - PrE!

Hope that this helps. Also, many sing the praises of some freeware converters, like Prism, but I have never tried them. I'd looked a dozen others, those many years ago, and then found DMC and never looked further.

Good luck,

Hunt