15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 8:40 AM by rafa@mediatech

Can't render

rafa@mediatech Level 1

Hi everyone!

I recently installed Premiere Pro CS4 on my Vista machine. I made a small comp (I am trying to move away from Sony Vegas 7) as a test. When I go File>export>Media I get the following error:

There is an update for the Adobe Media Encoder for this version of Premiere Pro. Use the Adobe Updater or go to www.adobe.com/download/updates.

After I hit OK on the message, it takes me to an "Export Settings" window, after I hit OK, nothing happens! Well, I HAVE the latest updates for both Premiere and Media Encoder! I contacted Adobe, and they couldnt help me (they said they scalated the issue and will call me back). I just want to know if any of you users have come accross this issue, and if so, how did you fix it?

thank you for your time!

Rafa.

• 1. Re: Can't render
          Keith_Andrews Level 1

Many users have reported problems with software functionality after performing an update.  The solutions to these problems have ranged from as simple as a reboot of the computer, to more complex, like reinstallating the software, or even worse, a complete reinstallation of the entire OS and software.  If Adobe can't help, then you will need to offer more specific information to the participants of this forum in order to help diagnose your issue.

In my particular experience, whenever I have encountered an issue such as yours, I have had to download the clean script software from Adobe and uninstall the software from my computer in order to reinitialize the programs.  Sometimes even that fails to remedy the situation.  Aside from software issues, a common scenario for someone who cannot render is due to the destination hard drive not having enough disk space to accommodate the exported file.

• 2. Re: Can't render
            rafa@mediatech Level 1

Hi Keith,

Thank you for replying. I am not sure what other information I can provide to the forum to describe the issue (I am new to premiere), maybe be there is a setting I am not looking at correctly?

I did uninstall Premiere, re installed it, and the issue presisted. The Adobe guy had create a new user account to see if it would work that way... but no luck. I really want this to work!!!

Rafa.

• 3. Re: Can't render
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rafa,

What are the settings that you are attempting to Export to? This can be very important.

Also, I am assuming that you have the full-paid version, and not the trial, since you uninstalled and reinstalled. Did you ever have the trial version? Did this behavior start immediately after you updated?

Good luck, and we'll be looking for that info. I could be very important, or totally moot.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't render
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

This will not solve the problem but might possibly be a work around.  Rather that Exporting from Premiere try just closing Premiere when you are ready to move on to encoding.  Open AME by itself.  Go to File/Add Premiere Pro Sequence, navigate to your project in the Project Window and click once on it--have patience Adobe forgot to add a timer for feedback--the Sequence will finally appear in the Sequence window click on it then click OK.  You will then be able to set the Export Settings that you want.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can't render
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Forgot to comment on the new avatar. Almost did not recognize you, when I first saw it.

Hunt

PS - is that a Crown, or Speed Graphic? I think that I still have a drop-front Crown around somewhere, but doubt that I could find a lens board, if my life depended on it.

• 6. Re: Can't render
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Bill that is a Speed Graphic, my first real camera.  I downsized to a Rollie, and later to a Nikon.

I tried for a Premiere style in the coloring of the avatar, but it really needs more contrast.

• 7. Re: Can't render
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Thanks for the trip down "memory lane." I had assignments to shoot sports with the Crown, and my heart went out to the photojournalists of yore. Man, I felt so inadequate, especially looking at some of their work.

I actually started with a Kodak Autographic, and then worked up to my Nikon SP-105. It was not until a tad later, that I went to 4.x 5, and the Crown. From there, I worked up to a Cambo 8 x 10, but that is history under the bridge.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can't render
                        rafa@mediatech Level 1

Bill H. & Bill G.

Thank you so much for replying. I do have the full paid version. I never installed it as a trial, I started using it a few days after I installed the Production Premium suite. I got this suite mostly for After Effects, but since Premiere and Encore come in it, I figured it is a good chance to move away from Sony Vegas (version 7) and DVD Architect (version 4).

My settings are SD widescreen format (I know there are 2 on the list, I selected the last one on it). I am trying to export the video for YouTube. Bill, I did what you suggested, open AME and imported the comp from there, and even thou it took a long time (like you said), it actually showed the comp and it is rendering as we speak! I selected the YouTube SD widescreen format (Is this any good?). According to AME it takes about 1 hour to render... I know this is not a final solution (like you said), but definetly a workaround... now I can confidently keep playing around with Premiere.

Thank you!

Rafa.

• 9. Re: Can't render
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rafa,

Just a quick question on both the Sequence and Export Presets. If you are in NTSC-land, did you choose those Presets for both Sequence & Export? If in PAL-land, again, did you choose those Presets for both? There are many reasons to not mix those, but I do not know if doing so would impact doing an Export>AME from within PrPro. Just a guess, trying to eliminate the variables.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't render
                            rafa@mediatech Level 1

Hi Bill,

Sorry I took so long to respond. Yes, I am in the NTSC land, and I made sure the settings match. I am STILL waiting for the Adobe people to call me back (since the "scalated" the issue). Hopefully they don't take much longer.

Rafa.

• 11. Re: Can't render
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

This thread is a nice example of 5 days and 10 posts further along and still no progress. What is lacking is a systematic way of presenting the problem.

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 12. Re: Can't render
                                rafa@mediatech Level 1

Hi Harm,

I honestly don't know how else to desbribe the problem. I am NOT getting this issue with a specific set of settings or a specific type of video. It is happening with any an all media that I have tried to export from Premiere. I contacted Adobe and after spending a few hours with me on the phone (even taking control of my computer and checking settings by themself), they could not figure out what the issue was.

I decided to share it with the forum community becuase they have helped me greatly in the past (mostly in the Flash and Director forums). I understand it gets annoying when posters ask the same question over and over again (believe me, I googled and searched here before posting).

If you DO have any idea what might be wrong and have an idea of how I can fix the rendering issue, please let me know.

Thank you,

Rafa.

• 13. Re: Can't render
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

No guarantees, but I may have an idea when all 16 questions are answered.

• 14. Re: Can't render
                                    rafa@mediatech Level 1

Harm,

I only see 8 questions on the post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

I will definetly post the answers to these as soon as I am done rendering (currently rendering from Sony Vegas).

Thank you in advance for you help.

Rafa.

• 15. Re: Can't render
                                      rafa@mediatech Level 1

Nevermind... I saw the other link with the 16 questions.

Rafa.