5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 8:47 PM by Jeff Schewe-dxJlyU

Printing from RAW

johnnywyoming Level 1

After converting to .dng and making my adjustments to an image am I supposed to save to a .tif or .jpg before I print or can I simply print from .dng? I've looked at different workflows and this item never seems to be addressed.

• 1. Re: Printing from RAW
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Effectively the file must be "rendered" into a pixel format before it can be printed. It doesn't necessarily have to be saved to disk as a JPEG or TIFF. For example, if you open your DNG from Camera Raw into Photoshop, you get a pixel document in Photoshop, which can then be printed. It does not have to be saved to disk as a JPEG or TIFF before you can print it.

Eric

• 2. Re: Printing from RAW
            johnnywyoming Level 1

Thanks that helped. However, your answer brought up another question. If the image needs to be rendered into a pixel

format does that mean that it is not in pixel format when caputured in RAW, or converted to dng?

• 3. Re: Printing from RAW
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Raw and DNG are typically in pixel formats, too, but in a different form. The image format is typically in some type of mosaic format, e.g.,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

and not something you'd want to print directly ...

Eric

• 4. Re: Printing from RAW
                johnnywyoming Level 1

Thanks,

that helped to clarify things a lot!

• 5. Re: Printing from RAW
                  Jeff Schewe-dxJlyU Level 1

johnnywyoming wrote:

After converting to .dng and making my adjustments to an image am I supposed to save to a .tif or .jpg before I print or can I simply print from .dng?

The thing that is somewhat confusing is if you open a raw file or DNG into Photoshop the image has been rendered and it's no longer raw. However, until you actually save it, the image will still have the raw or DNG extension in the image title bar. Understand, the moment you opened the image from Camera Raw the image ceased to be "raw"...it's just that until you actually save the image in a new file format (raw and DNG are considered "read only") there's really no accurate file extension for Photoshop to assign to the opened image.

So, to give you a clue where that opened image came from it shows the raw or DNG file extension in the file name–even though the image is no longer really "raw".

Really don't know what else the ACR/Photoshop engineers can do other than what they are doing...but it is a bit confusing until you understand what is going on...