2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 2:36 PM by Courtney NHC

format text without creating css rules

Courtney NHC

Hi all! I hope you're all doing well.

I have DW CS4, and I'm annoyed by how you can't just apply a font to a selection of text without creating a new css rule for it. There are often times when I need to create html for things that can't use CSS (like craigslist ads), so I need the text formatting to be directly in the html code. Plus, I don't create new CSS rules that way anyway, I always create the style in my stylesheet first, then apply it to the appropriate text. It's very rare that I create a new CSS rule by editing text on the page.

How can I turn this off? I can't seem to find it in the Preferences, but I could just be blind. Or is there some other setting I can change or some other way I can apply a font without creating a new CSS rule? I looked in the help, and found this page that claims you can still use HTML to format text, but when I do what it says to do--use the Format menu to apply the font--I still get the New CSS Rule popup (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WS09C98DBB-6332-4f86-8AB8-A50265CEC6A3. html).

I know that I can manually type in the font code, but that's a pain in the butt, especially when there's more than a couple paragraphs and other text elements. It's so much easier when I can just highlight the text and apply a font and be done with it! All I wanna do is make all the text Arial instead of the default font. It should be easy!

Thanks for any info/help you might have!