Hi everyone,

strange problem:

I have done a PP project with different audio tracks:

1) stereo 48 KHz from underwater videocam

2) stereo mp3 background music

3) stereo mp3 italian comments

4) stereo mp3 english comments

5) 5.1 ac3 from another videocam

Obviously each file is differently set as volume (songs files have originally different volume) and everything plays OK.

But, when I output my final dolby 5.1 file, it has a very loud volume.

Tried increasing each file volume, tried nesting every track then changing volume gain, but the output files has everytime the same volume.

I can hear volume change, playing it in the project, but, when I output the ac3 dolby file, it has everytime the same loud volume.

Any idea?

Thanks

Giorgio

• 1. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
          Giorgio1957 Level 3

Sorry, big mistake in translation: volume is

not loud but LOW. Sorry

I wait for any tip

Thanks

• 2. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Giorgio,

First comment: MP3's can be highly problematic. I personally run those, if I do not have better source material, through Audition (you could use the freeware audio-editior, Audacity, if you do not have Soundbooth, or Audition), and then just do a Save_As for PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Those are then Imported into PrPro.

Now, go to Window>Audio Mixer, and you will have a set of controls for each Audio Track. If you have a 5.1 Master Project/Sequence, you will have both the Levels slider, and then the square "sound stage" with a black dot (the Puck), to locate that Audio source. This is where I do most of my Audio work.

Once all is good there, and you go to do the Export to AC3 DD 5.1 SS with the SurCode plug-in encoder, you have a world of choices to make. At this point, it is probably easiest to just do a screen-cap of your SurCode screen (from the MPEG AC3 Export).

Note: with AC3 DD 5.1 SS, you cannot use Adobe Dynamic Link. You MUST Export as an Audio-only elemental/elementary stream for use in Encore for your BD Project.

Hope that these tips help, and please let us see that SurCode spec. screen. Might be something big there - lot of choices.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
              Giorgio1957 Level 3

thanks Bill (as usual),

found hidden "choise" that allows me in making volume higher (not too much).

It is a default set, you can't modify it. I'm talking about Surcode Prologic for Premiere.

It is included in a group of "dynamic compression presets" and "none" is the one that give you the highest volume.

You can also increase (but just a bit) volume setting the "dialogue normalization" to the lowest value (-31).

Other solutions do not affect the output.

Just a question:

when you open the Audio mixer window in Premiere, does it matter that the "master" is a stereo only?

My audio setting (ASIO4ALL) displays, in the mapping output window, the entire sorround:

8 channels

track 1 & 2 = 2 speaker (left and right)

track 1 to 6 = 6 square sound stages (5.1)

track 7 and 8 = empty.

But PC plays stereo only, it does not support 5.1 DS, I have only a native sound card bought with ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA mainboard.

Thanks again

Giorgio

• 4. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Giorgio,

The Master for the Project (Sequence now), will determine the down-mix for all of your Audio Tracks. You will want to set that Master to 5.1 for Export to the SurCode encoder. Otherwise, you will get a Stereo Master, and that will not be what you want. I have the 5.1 Master set in my Default Project Preset (also for my Default Sequence Preset). Note: in CS4, you will only need this for your Sequences, as most of the settings have been moved there now.

I normally use the SurCode default of -3dB attenuation for the rear-channels. I have never had anything but a direct transfer from PrPro, through Encore, and onto my discs. What I set in PrPro translates perfectly (to my ears on the headphones). I even use PrPro to do Sequences that will be only DD 5.1 SS AC3's for Menu Audio in Encore. I could use other programs, but just add one "Menu Audio" Sequence to my Project, and Export via the SurCode encoder as AC3 Audio-only.

Hope that this helps. I'll poke around the additional SurCode dialog screens, to see if I find anything that might be affecting your Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
                  Giorgio1957 Level 3

Sorry but I can't find how set Master as 5.1

I have set in Modify\Audio\Preference\5.1 downmix as front+rear+LFE but I do not find any connected to the master track.

It shouldn't be an hardware matter.

How have you set 5.1 master as default?

In Audio mixer I see my 4 stereo tracks, my 5.1 track (from an HD videocam) and the stereo Master on the right side.

Thanks for the patience

Giorgio

• 6. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You set the master track when creating a new sequence.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As of CS4, the Default Sequence should be under Sequence, and the setting can be over-ridden, when one does a Sequence>New. In earlier versions, it was in the Project settings, but has been moved. When you do a Sequence>New, you can choose the Master Audio Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'd do a screen-cap, but do not have CS4, so I'd only confuse things.

• 8. Re: can't increase output volume in Blue-Ray PP project
                        Giorgio1957 Level 3

Thanks Bill and Harm,

Just gone in File\New\Sequence and edited as needed.

Didn't see before.

The error I've surely got was not take a look at the audio mixer when I opened the project and so I was trying to milk a bull for days.

Thanks for having told me it wasn't a cow

Ciao

Giorgio