3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 3:15 PM by jtsli

Cannot start the source application for this object - Embedded PDF in Excel 2007

cmoreland Level 1

I am having a real issue which unfortunately is intermittant and I cannot pinpoint what is causing the problem. Basically I am inserting a PDF object into an Excel worksheet and immediately after I insert it, it will open fine. If you click off into another cell and save the sheet, then try to reopen the embedded PDF, you get the error "cannot start the source application for this object".

Any help would be very much appreciated! Has anyone else run into this?

• 1. Re: Cannot start the source application for this object - Embedded PDF in Excel 2007
          PeVou Level 1

I got that problem with one of my client after updating from Adobe  Reader 8.2 to 9.3.1. Excel version was 2002 and not 2007 but this is Adobe problem.

Check that registry key for you Acrobat  Document key points to right AcroRead32.exe path at  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B801CA65-A1FC-11D0-85AD-444553540000}\LocalServer32

of  whatever key points to your Acrobat Document.

I used  Sysinternals Procmon to monitor registry activity and found a line and  opened that registry location and found out Adobe Reader 8.0 path there.

9:55:56,9021789     EXCEL.EXE    3236    RegOpenKey     HKCR\CLSID\{B801CA65-A1FC-11D0-85AD-444553540000}\LocalServer32     SUCCESS    Desired Access: Maximum Allowed

I have seen that Adobe  Reader 9.3 doesn't update that registry and leaves Adobe Reader 8.0  values there. Same problem may be in other upgrade scenarios too.

In addition to that my Windows 7 with Office 2007 that has never had anything but Adobe Reader 9.x versions didn't had anything on that registry location and it gave me same "cannot start the source application for this object" error. Putting that path "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" to LocalSever Default value fixed that too. Maybe Adobe should do something with this issue?

• 2. Re: Cannot start the source application for this object - Embedded PDF in Excel 2007
            jeff.thurman Level 1

I have found a common cause for this problem but no solution.

When using the "Save As" option, either in Adobe to rename the file or Word, Excel or any other programs, the newly created file will result with the "Cannot start the source application for this object" error after embedding in Excel 07 and trying to open it from within Excel.

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Cannot start the source application for this object - Embedded PDF in Excel 2007
              jtsli Level 1

I found this on a different forum, there really isnt much out there about this.

In your Adobe Reader:

Goto EDIT -> PREFERENCES...

On the GENERAL Category...

UNCHECK the 'Enable Protected Mode at startup'
              * you will get warning telling you that you will have to manually restart Reader before it takes effect.

Then go into EXCEL (2007 & 2010)... now it works... YAY!

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Office_Suites/MS_Office/Q_268 16126.html