8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 6:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Best Output

AlanKl2 Level 1

I've succesfully created DVD's from standard 720 x 480 DV camcorder and old VHS tapes into DVD's NTSC Dolby Standard 720 x 480 using Share to play on my 1080 HD TV (through PS3 and Sony AV Receiver).  However, would I get better image results if I used Share to create and then burn 720P 30 (1280 x 720) or for that matter 1080i (1440 x 1080) Blu-ray.  I realize I'm starting with 720 x 480 video, but would the latter process create a better final image on the HDTV?  There seem to be a lot more data that would be burned.  I'm using Premiere 4 which I think is a pretty amazing program rather than 8 but I assume the version shouldn't effect the answer.  Tks.

• 1. Re: Best Output
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Because you're starting with a standard def video file, burning it as a hi-def file won't increase the quality one pixel, as you know.

The BEST solution is to pick up a DVD player that include HDMI upconverting. (Most do now.) This amazing piece of software will double the pixels on your DVD and, on a hi-def TV, can make your DVDs look almost as good as BluRay!

• 2. Re: Best Output
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree completely. I have seen up-rezed SD material on BD and it looks bleak. An SD DVD-Video on a good up-rezing deck with an HDMI connection to an HD TV looks so, so much better. I am amazed at the quality improvement just from the processing chip. Also, this gets one SD DVD-Videos, that Aunt Marge can play on her 10 year old DVD player, and Uncle Louie can enjoy on his up-rezing state-of-the-art deck with his HD TV.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Best Output
              AlanKl2 Level 1

That's interesting and saves me a lot of experimenting but raises a question.  Why does upconverting through a AV deck or whatever produce better HDTV images that converting to more pixels initially onto a DVD using a program like Premiere?

• 4. Re: Best Output
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Because you're not upconverting with Premiere Elements. You're just using more pixels to show the same images.

On your VCR, the HDMI upconverter is designed to make your DVD look like hi-def!

• 5. Re: Best Output
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Like Steve says, the interpolation algorithms are specifically designed for one purpose. An NLE, like PrE, has to do so very much more.

It is not unlike why one gets higher quality, when they resize a large still image in PS, using it algorithms for Scaling, than when they let PrE (or PrPro) do it. PS is an image editing program and excels at that. PrE/PrPro are NLE's and have to do everything.

Now, there are several multi-thousand $ cards, that can re-sample for you, though I do not know of any of these that work with PrE. Most are totally in the realm of major feature productions.

PrPro CS5 might have some extra power, with certain Transcoding tasks, with some new video cards. Right now, those appear to be in the US$2K range, but more, lower-priced units are being hinted at. Right now, Adobe will have CUDA with a plug-in and the nVidia CX card, if you need to Export to H.264.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Best Output
                    AlanKl2 Level 1

My PS3 feeds a Sony AV Receiver STR-DN1000 that has its own upconverter although it's upconverter has been panned by most.

What effect does the Receiever have o the signal if any since the

PS3 is feeding it an upconverted signal already.  And should I leave the PS3 on Normal rather than Double or the other settings?

• 7. Re: Best Output
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The ultimate "receiver" would be the same as for a pre-amp in the old separates days - "a straight wire with gain." It should have little affect on the signal. The player will have a much larger role.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Best Output
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

To give you an idea of how much I am sold on the up-rezing deck, this is the one that I am adding to my HT system: Marantz UD 9004. I am replacing some high-end SD Marantz units (actually migrating them to other locations in the house, as I cannot stand to waste).

When one sees the difference, it becomes clear. I have zero experience with PS3's and cannot comment. They could be great, or maybe not. Only a user could reflect upon them.

Good luck,

Hunt