32 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 5:16 PM by the_wine_snob

How to burn disc menu to DVD?

Val8583 Level 1

Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 - Windows Vista 64bit

I have edited my video and inserted chapter markers. I have selected a disc menu and made a few adjustments. Everything works fine when I click "preview" - I can select individual scenes, "my" music plays in the background, everything looks the way I want it. When I "burn" the disc, to my hard drive or to a DVD I get one big "lump" of (edited) video - no chapter markers, and NO menu at all.

I have removed Nero from my computer because someone said it might conflict. I have installed/uninstalled PRE7 twice. The problem persists.

Please advise. Thank you. Val

• 1. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
          Paul787 Level 3

Welcome to the forum.

When you burn to a folder or directly from Premiere Elements to DVD, all the necessary files for the DVD main menu and chapter markers should be included. Take a look at one of the files you burned to your computer. Inside of it there should be two other files, OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. Can you confirm that both those files are there?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, inside that VIDEO_TS folder, can you list the contained files? You should have some IFO, BUP and VOB files. Do you?

Also, from the folder, how are you testing your "DVD?" What DVD software player are you using to play that folder, and how are you playing it?

The reason that I ask this, is that I could navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder, and choose one of the files directly, and get past the Menus and navigation. Most software DVD player will pick up the full structure of that VIDEO_TS folder, if you just point them to the drive, or the location containing that VIDEO_TS folder.

When you burn that folder to a DVD disc, how does it play in either a computer, with a DVD software player, or on a set-top player, hooked to a TV?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
              Val8583 Level 1

Paul, Thank you so much for responding. I hope you can help me.

<<Inside of it there should be two other files, OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. Can you confirm that both those files are there?>>

No. No, I can't. On my most recent attempt to burn to a folder on my hard drive, there is *one* 2.18GB file with an MPEG icon that says it's a "Movie clip.mpg" file. It is ALL of my edited video in one big "chunk" with no chapters and no menu. I've also burned it in a couple of other formats, but I'm only getting *one* file as the end result. Is there something I'm not doing in the Disc Menu phase to "attach" the menu to my project? Or something I'm not selecting when I burn it?

I've only buned (Standard NTSC) to a disc once, with the same result. (Seems silly to keep wasting DVD-Rs.) I've burned to my hard drive multiple times, always getting just one file - the "lump" of edited video.

It looks *great* in the Preview of the Disc Menu on my computer. I've got "motion" buttons with my own music in all the right places - it's fabulous, but I've seen all this before, *many* times now during the editing, of course. I REALLY want "hard copies" to share with friends.

Please help me find out what to do/not do so I can have that great interactive menu on my video. Thanks, Val

*All other comments and suggestions are welcome. Has anyone else had this problem?

• 4. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                Val8583 Level 1

Thanks for responding.

There is no VIDEO_TS folder, so (obviously) no other files, just that one, big one with my edited video.

I double click it and Windows Media Player (default) plays it just fine, but there is no menu up front. I played it on Nero (before I uninstalled it, because someone suggested it might be a conflict). I've also played it with VideoLAN and CyberLink DVD Suite Premium. They all play the video. I just can't get my fabulous menu with the motion scene selection buttons. Very frustrating, since I can see them in Preview in PRE7.

The disc I burned plays in my computer, and on my TVs with a regular (cheap) DVD player, the nice (expensive) DVD recorder, and even on the little portable player -- but again, it's just my video - NO menu or scene selection. When I look at "Display" on the TV I can see that there are NO chapters.

Where am I going wrong? The preview in Adobe Premiere Elements is wonderful! Now I want a hard copy of my work to share with friends.

Please help. Thank you, Val

• 5. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  On my most recent attempt to burn to a folder on my hard drive, there is *one* 2.18GB file with an MPEG icon that says it's a "Movie clip.mpg" file.

Instead of Burning a DVD to Folder, you are Exporting/Sharing as an MPEG file. That is why all Menus and navigation are missing. You are only getting the Timeline, and none of the Authoring.

Now, this could be due to one of several things:

1.) you are choosing the wrong Export/Share option

2.) your HDD is not large enough to allow for the extra work.

3.) something is interrupting the process of Burning to Folder

Besides the resultant files in the two folders that Paul mentioned, there are several working files that are required. First, the MPEG-2 file is created. This is what you are getting. The next step is that a module (the Vobulator) steps in, and gathers up your Menus and all navigational elements. They are "bundled" into the VOB files. The first one will contain your Menus and navigation, plus part of that MPEG-2 file. The remaining parts of that MPEG-2 file will be written to the rest of the VOB's. Then, the IFO and BUP files will be written, and then the MPEG-2 file will be deleted. Last, these files will be further bundled into the VIDEO_TS folder, and the OpenDVD folder will be written. This is not used by the DVD set-top player - only the VIDEO_TS.

One way to keep from making "coasters" out of DVD blanks is to pick up a pack of DVD RW's. Do the Burn to Folder (as soon as we figure out what's happening there), and then get the free burning utility, ImgBurn. With it, you can burn test DVD's on the RW discs. These can be erased and reused by ImgBurn, over and over. Note: do NOT use DVD RW's as delivery discs. Once you have tested with those, burn to the highest quality blank media, that you can find - Vertabim and Taiyo Yuden are as good as it gets. Do NOT use Memorex, TDK, recent Ritek's or any "store brand."

Now, going back to what is happening:

What is the amount of free space on the HDD, where you are attempting to Burn to Folder?

Are you choosing the DVD and Burn to Folder in Share?

That will be a start and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the Share>Disc tab, with the DVD Burn to Folder settings dialog screen. Note: this is from PrE 4, so your exact dialog screen will likely be different. Still, you should be able to interpolate, as they will be similar:

Burn_to_Folder_PrE4.jpg

Hope that this helps. Is this where you are?

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                      Val8583 Level 1

Bill - I have 364GB of FREE space on my hard drive - so *that* is definitely NOT the problem.

Yes, I am probably choosing the wrong share option. I've tried several different ones all with the same/similar result - NO menus. I'm trying to find the *right* way to do this to get my video *with* the spiffy menu and dazzling scene selection buttons burned to a DVD-R. I have Sony and HP blank discs. I've heard of Verbatim but not the other brand you mention. I do not use "store brand" discs.

Nothing seems to interrupt the burning process. I don't sit there and watch the little bar go across, but it happens in a reasonable amount of time and I get a "confirmation message" at the end.

I got your illustration. It's similar, but not identical to my "share" page in PRE7. I will try setting up for a "burn to folder" while looking at your diagram. I'll let you know if I get multiple files in the folder. This will take a few minutes, but I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks for helping. Val

• 8. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                        Val8583 Level 1

OK. The burn to disc is done, but I still don't see a video with menu that I can play on my computer.

In My Documents I have a new folder with a long number as its name. Inside there are two more folders: OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. (Yay!)

Inside OpenDVD: Sources (folder), Click me (with my Firefox browser icon), opendvd.pvm and Untitled.dvd

Sources folder contains: _Sources001 (thru 007 - "Motion Menu" - some are MPEG some are QuickTime), Sources, VTS_01_1_VOB (these are all more folders) - then I've got - Menu_000_SubPict (001, 002, 003), SPU_Apgc_Asf.spu, SPU_Bpgc_Csf.spu, SPU_Cpgc_Esf.spu, SPU_Dpgc_Gsf.spu

Inside VIDEO_TS: VIDEO_TS.BUP (Nero 12kb - despite the fact that I uninstalled Nero! ???), VIDEO_TS (IFO file 12kb), VIDEO_TS (VOB file 8kb), VTS_01_0.BUP (again - Nero 46kb), VTS_01_0 (IFO 46kb), VTS_01_0 (VOB 39.5MB), VTS_01_1 (VOB .99GB), VTS_01_2 (VOB .99GB), VTS_01_3 (VOB 834MB)

Well, at least we've made some progress. I've finally managed to output multiple files. This is a good thing, right? Are they the proper files I need to burn a hard copy? Can I burn a hard copy directly from PRE7?

When I double checked "preview" before I did this I could see some adjustments I need to make, but *can* I do it directly from the "Share" tab, or must I use some other software to make a DVD-R? I've got the Windows Media Center that came with my computer, CyberLink DVD Suite Premium, and the (supposedly) uninstalled Nero - which seems to still be affecting my computer somehow. (That's weird.)

I hope you can make sense of all this info. Again, I appreciate your time and trouble trying to help me.

• 9. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I have 364GB of FREE space on my hard drive - so *that* is definitely NOT the problem.

Val,

I agree. Scratch one!

Now, one question that I forgot to ask: is your HDD formatted NTSF, an not FAT-32? That could limit things, as FAT-32 hits the wall at ~4GB, while NTSF has no (useful) limit.

Sorry that I did not have PrE 7, to give you an exact look at the Share tab's Disc dialog screen. Like I said, "similar," but not identical. I believe that Neale has PrE 7, so maybe he would be kind enough to post a screen-cap of exactly what you should see. Still, the names should be very similar and the locations about the same. Maybe a few spiffy, new options, that I lack - but still similar.

Now, two things that might be useful to see if something else is getting in the way:

1.) open up Windows' Event Viewer and look closely at the messages there (both System and Applications tab), at the Date/Time that you are doing the Burn to Folder. If there are any warning, or error messages, open those, and look for any HTML links. Follow those. Some might lead to the MS troubleshooting site, and some might lead to say the nVidia video driver site. Follow each one closely, in hopes of finding some "clues."

2.) Transcoding and Burning take some time. Just set up your video camera on a tripod. Record the progress panel. Do not think that PrE has the extra Transcoding Info screen, like Adobe Encore does, but you can still see the progress bar. Actually, you could start the Transcoding/Burning, and then start the video camera about 20 mins. into the process.

3.) check to see if you have Windows Indexing turned ON. You can Rt-Click on your drive letter, say C:\ in Windows Explorer/My Computer, and choose Properties. Down in the lower portion of that dialog screen, look for Indexing. If it's ON, turn it OFF. This is a "helper" program, that speeds up Searches in Windows. It looks deeply into all files and catalogs any info, that it finds. Two problems: it cannot gather any info from AV, or the working files that PrE uses, but that will not stop Indexing from trying, and trying. While it tries, it locks these files, and if PrE cannot get to them, there could be issues.

Along those lines, there are several programs, like Nero and Roxio, that have "helper" or "sniffer" modules. These will watch folders and try to determine if the main program can do something with the files being created, or used. iTunes has similar in iTunes Helper, that wants to monitor all folders, just in case the program can use a music, or AV file.

There are some tips on setting up one's computer for editing, or authoring, in this ARTICLE. Some of those tips might be useful here.

Hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                            nealeh Level 5

That's pretty much similar to PRE7:

Share1.jpg

If you want to burn to folder that comes from the "Burn to:" dropdown.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that looks pretty similar to me also. As those settings are pretty clear, I am wondering what else might be going on for the OP.

Thanks for posting a view from later versions. That's very helpful to the OP.

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                Val8583 Level 1

Yes, plenty of free disc space. I was sure of that.

Now, one question that I forgot to ask: is your HDD formatted NTSF, an not FAT-32? That could limit things, as FAT-32 hits the wall at ~4GB, while NTSF has no (useful) limit.

No idea. How do I check that out?

Now, two things that might be useful to see if something else is getting in the way:

1.) open up Windows' Event Viewer and look closely at the messages there (both System and Applications tab), at the Date/Time that you are doing the Burn to Folder. If there are any warning, or error messages, open those, and look for any HTML links. Follow those. Some might lead to the MS troubleshooting site, and some might lead to say the nVidia video driver site. Follow each one closely, in hopes of finding some "clues."

Don't know how to do this either. I searched "Windows' Event Viewer" and got "no items match your search" as a reply. I don't see anything named that when I "Explore" either. I think I do have an nVidia (1GB GeForce9800GT[2DVI, HDMI Adpt]) video driver though. Is this a problem? The guy at HP said it was wonderful - fast, powerful, blah, blah, blah - OMG I got sucked into a sales pitch for a piece of junk!!!? dammmmmit.

2.) Transcoding and Burning take some time. Just set up your video camera on a tripod. Record the progress panel. Do not think that PrE has the extra Transcoding Info screen, like Adobe Encore does, but you can still see the progress bar. Actually, you could start the Transcoding/Burning, and then start the video camera about 20 mins. into the process.

Don't have a video camera. . . I could borrow one. . . or just sit here and watch it (but not today). Is this important? What do I want to see/not see while the files are burning?

3.) check to see if you have Windows Indexing turned ON. You can Rt-Click on your drive letter, say C:\ in Windows Explorer/My Computer, and choose Properties. Down in the lower portion of that dialog screen, look for Indexing. If it's ON, turn it OFF. This is a "helper" program, that speeds up Searches in Windows. It looks deeply into all files and catalogs any info, that it finds. Two problems: it cannot gather any info from AV, or the working files that PrE uses, but that will not stop Indexing from trying, and trying. While it tries, it locks these files, and if PrE cannot get to them, there could be issues.

Yes. "Index this drive for faster searching" - I have removed the check from the box. Indexing is now OFF.

Along those lines, there are several programs, like Nero and Roxio, that have "helper" or "sniffer" modules. These will watch folders and try to determine if the main program can do something with the files being created, or used. iTunes has similar in iTunes Helper, that wants to monitor all folders, just in case the program can use a music, or AV file.

Argh. I wish the machine would stop trying to "help" me and just let me "do" things.

There are some tips on setting up one's computer for editing, or authoring, in this ARTICLE. Some of those tips might be useful here.

Hope that something helps,

Hunt

I will read the article, but not now. I've only got a few hours until I'm off to judge at a Regional Speech/Debate Tournament. Probably won't have time to spend on this until Sunday... but I am determined to get this to work. It looks great in Preview and I want to "show off" my new skill to friends - if I can master the final "output" phase, which is where I'm stuck, of course.

Should I "Explore" my computer and manually delete anything called "Nero" so I'm sure it's gone? Don't understand why I just produced files linked to Nero Showtime when I have uninstalled the program.

Thanks for getting me this far, now if we could just get a little bit further - to the actual hard copy, I'll be thrilled.

• 13. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                  Val8583 Level 1

Yes, quite similar. Thanks.

I did get multiple files (for the first time) when I did a burn to my hard drive with Hunt's image as my guide. I'm just not getting what I want, which is a functioning menu at the start of my video.

• 14. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                    Val8583 Level 1

OK, short article. I read it.

I have Norton Internet Security which I assume is always "on" even if I'm off-line, but I am not running any programs while editing. Actually, I didn't have any trouble editing, it's this burning thing that's got me stumped. No other programs are running during the burn. I even turned off my screen saver for fear it would interrupt.

I don't have any added utility programs, but the basic Windows thingy is scheduled for regular maintenance - cleaning, defragging, etc., weekly.

What should I try next? Thanks again. Val

• 15. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

You have done it!

Now, when you open up your VIDEO_TS (just ignore the Open DVD), you will see IFO and BUP files with icons for programs. These might point to the same program, or maybe not. Dbl-click on the IFO file. That should launch your DVD software player. Note: one needs a DVD software capable player installed. For some versions now, WMP (Windows Media Player) will not play a DVD-Video, without plug-ins. I use CyberLink's PowerDVD, and it works fine. Another multi-player, that I use is MediaPlayer Classic HC, which is freeware. If you do not have a software DVD player, you will need to add one.

Also, if you are not seeing the file extensions, like the IFO, BUP and VOB's, you can go to Control Panel>Folder Options, and turn on the view for file extensions. This is one of the first things that I do with a new OS installation. It is OFF by default.

Please let us know what happens, when you Dbl-click on the IFO file.

With most software DVD players, you can just point them to the VIDEO_TS folder, and they will know what to do. Then, it's not necessary to open Windows Explorer/My Computer and Dbl-click on anything - it just happens, as soon as you point the software DVD player to that VIDEO_TS folder, almost like "magic."

Good luck, and good work. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 16. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, since you HAVE completed the Burn to Folder, these answers are just for your reference.

No idea. How do I check that out?

This in reference to the format of the HDD. In My Computer, Rt-click on the drive letter, say C:\. Look down the menu and you'll see Properties. Click on that, and you will see the formatting of that disc.

Since you got the Burn to Folder to work fine, I'd just ignore the Event Viewer reports for now. There are dozens of reasons for various error and warning messages. They are work for another day, but at least you now have a useful tool. You just do not need it right now.

Don't have a video camera. . . I could borrow one. . . or just sit here and watch it (but not today). Is this important? What do I want to see/not see while the files are burning?

A borrowed camera would work fine. Since you do not need to worry about this, you can borrow a glass of wine, or similar, instead. What you would be looking for would be the progress of the Transcoding, and then the authoring step and finally the Burning. You got that handled, so those comments are for another time, and another problem.

Yes. "Index this drive for faster searching" - I have removed the check from the box. Indexing is now OFF.

Windows Indexing is good when one has a lot of DOC's, text files, spreadsheets, and the like. However, because it cannot extract any useful info from an AV file, or from the working files in PrE, it really gets in the way. It can also lock image files, keeping one from being able to Save from Photoshop, until it finally gives up trying to index the file, and moves on. I leave it OFF for all drives and all folders. Some will turn it on for certain document folders only.

Argh. I wish the machine would stop trying to "help" me and just let me "do" things.

This in relation to "helper" modules. I agree completely! I have Nero installed, but made sure that I did NOT install parts of it, like the packet-writing InCD, and any/all helpers/sniffers/watchers. I will tell my programs, when I have something that I want them to work on. I do not want a bunch of pop-ups asking if I want to do something. No. I will tell YOU, when I do, so don't bug me!

Should I "Explore" my computer and manually delete anything called "Nero" so I'm sure it's gone? Don't understand why I just produced files linked to Nero Showtime when I have uninstalled the program.

There are modules in both Nero and Roxio, that can cause Adobe programs to "not find" your burner(s). If you have no issue with using PrE to do a physical Burn to Disc, I'd ignore them. Like I said above, I use Nero (some parts of its suite), with no issue. It is only certain modules, that get in the way with Burning. PrE will usually throw an error message, "Cannot find burner," or "no burner detected." If you get one of those, then start another post, and we'll address that problem separately. There are two easy ways to handle that, should you encounter it.

Please let us know how that VIDEO_TS plays in a software DVD player. You should have all of your Menus and your navigation there.

When you go to do the physical Burn to disc, that will be the final test. Going to your choices of blank media, the Sony comes pretty highly recommended. I know zero about HP media, but would guess that they buy in bulk from a blank mfgr. and depending on their quality control, it might be good, or it might be like Memorex, where 3 blanks will be OK, but the rest will not. I just do not know.

Please report how the Burn to Disk goes, after you test your VIDEO_TS. Since you have that, the "hard work" is done. I would download and install the free burning utility, ImgBurn. It will allow you to do the physical Burn using that VIDEO_TS file. When you go to the ImgBurn site, be sure to scroll down, past all those ads. The top 1/2 of the page is ads for all sorts of things. You want the free burning utility, ImgBurn.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          What should I try next? Thanks again. Val

I think that you are there. All you need to do is use a software DVD player to test your VIDEO_TS folder (with its files), and study your Project. If it's good, then use ImgBurn to do the physical Burn of that folder to the blank DVD.

You have done it!

Hunt

• 18. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                            Val8583 Level 1

Yay! -- I'm *almost* there --

I checked - it's NTSF.

I clicked on the IFO file and VideoLAN (my default player) popped open, but played nothing. I did an "Open with" and "selected" Windows Media Player, and that seems to play everything "playable" so far, main menu, scene selection (love the "motion" buttons!) and the main video.

I can finally see the menu with scene selection! Hallelujah! I really appreciate your help with that. Looks even better BIG than in the preview mode. I can also see that some of my chapter markers have "slipped" while I've been doing all this messing around with the files, (NO idea why/how that happened! They were perfect last night when I previewed them in PrE7) so I have to do some more editing before I can burn a hard copy, but everything seems to be there and I can watch the video and click on the interactive menu buttons. I've saved your screenshot so I can go back to that once I've fixed up the editing a bit and burn another copy to my hard drive.

Downloaded ImgBurn 2.5.0.0, but have not installed it yet. I need to get offline and shut down all these programs first. When I do have it installed, what files to I give it so it can burn a DVD with menus for me... Everything in the VIDEO_TS folder, nothing from the OpenDVD folder - or some combination of both?

Why can't I burn a hard copy from Premiere Element???

Uh oh - a new snafu - I've got the video playing in the background and it's jumping all over the place. Not tumbling on the screen, but playing the scenes out of order and skipping back to the beginning unexpectedly. No more time today. I will tidy up the editing and see if that helps. If not, expect a new thread on Monday. sigh.

Thanks again. At least I've gotten this far. Are some of your videos online? I'd love to see what other people do with this software. I'm a total beginner with high hopes for organizing my video collection.

Jeez - and I thought the editing was gonna be the hard part. The very last step is driving me

I'll keep trying.

• 19. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                              Paul787 Level 3
                                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Val8583 wrote:

OK. The burn to disc is done, but I still don't see a video with menu that I can play on my computer.

In My Documents I have a new folder with a long number as its name. Inside there are two more folders: OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. (Yay!)

-----------

Well, at least we've made some progress. I've finally managed to output multiple files. This is a good thing, right? Are they the proper files I need to burn a hard copy? Can I burn a hard copy directly from PRE7?

Were you able to burn to disc as you say at the beginning of the post as later on you ask about burning a hard copy. That you have the OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS folders is great though.

You can burn to DVD directly from PRE7 but it can be problematic because of other software interfering with the process. Burning first to folder eliminates most of these hassles and it only takes a few minutes to burn to DVD after that.

How I do a project is:

1) Burn project to folder on my computer

2) Open Nero --> Video/Pictures --> DVD Video Files

3) Add OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS folders.

At this point, Nero may give a long warning saying something like: 'One or more files could not be added . . . '. I ignore that and press OK

4) Now you are nearly ready to burn. I choose the lowest burn speed and then start the burn.

I never burn directly from PRE to a DVD as too many errors resulted. By burning to folder first, and then using Nero I have had no problems whatsover. I'm sure ImgBrn would work just as well for doing the final burn too.

• 20. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Way to go. I told you that you were there!

When I do have it installed, what files to I give it so it can burn a DVD with menus for me... Everything in the VIDEO_TS folder, nothing from the OpenDVD folder - or some combination of both?

In ImgBurn, you will choose to do the Burn from a Folder, that you will choose - that VIDEO_TS. All of its files will be inside that. You can go to the settings dialog screen, and assign a name to the Disc. This is a good idea, as it will display, should you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, and will also display in your software DVD player. Here is a look at ImgBurn's GUI:

IngBurn_01.jpg

Why can't I burn a hard copy from Premiere Element???

You probably can, but you have already spent the time to Transcode and author, so there is no need to go back and re-do all of that. You have what you need in that VIDEO_TS folder. Plus, ImgBurn will allow you to set the Burn Speed, where PrE will set it automatically. I'd recommend that you go to about half of the max speed, that ImgBurn tells you that you can use. That helps insure (along with the brand of media used) the greatest playability.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  a new snafu - I've got the video playing in the background and it's jumping all over the place. Not tumbling on the screen, but playing the scenes out of order and skipping back to the beginning unexpectedly. No more time today. I will tidy up the editing and see if that helps. If not, expect a new thread on Monday

This is most likely due to the Markers used. You might want to sit down and make a list of the Markers that you have added, and their order, plus what you intend to have each of these Markers do in the playback and navigation on the disc.

I'd just add that info to this thread, as there might be some elements that we may need to revisit in it. Normally, I'd suggest a new thread, but I believe that this one will work and might be useful for background.

Also, what version of Windows and also what version of WMP do you have. Since you're using it to display your DVD, I'd like to rule out some issue with it. This is mainly because much of the DVD playability of WMP was taken out. I use other software, but there could be something in WMP, that is causing your errors too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                    Paul787 Level 3

Val8583 wrote:

Thanks again. At least I've gotten this far. Are some of your videos online? I'd love to see what other people do with this software. I'm a total beginner with high hopes for organizing my video collection.

Jeez - and I thought the editing was gonna be the hard part. The very last step is driving me

I'll keep trying.

The first project is always the most difficult in video editing. I thought I was going to go mad on my first attempt. The initial learning curve for video editing is steep but once you have completed a few projects, it becomes almost intuitive.

Here is a short video I did about 18 months ago when I was still a newb. I think it was my second project.

http://vimeo.com/375785

It's mostly photos with a few short videos, but I'm still very pleased with the results.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

• 23. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                      Val8583 Level 1

No time now. Off to the Speech/Debate Tournament.

I will try all of the suggestions given ASAP. First I have to re-edit 'cause my chapter markers are not correct any more. Then I will burn to a folder on my hard drive, then try to make a DVD-R.  If it doesn't work, I will start a new thread, with new questions.

Thank you very much.

• 24. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                        Val8583 Level 1

Glad to hear you use Nero since I am familar with that one. I will reinstall and after I re-edit my project I will try that, along with Hunt's suggestion of ImgBurn. If it works at all, I'll let you know which is best/easiest for me.

Thanks for helping!

• 25. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                          Val8583 Level 1

I'm new to this forum and don't understand the little "buttons" about the answers.

Hope everybody got some points. I'll start another thread after I've tried to burn a hard copy with menu/scene selection - probably not until Monday as my weekend is going to be *very* busy.

Thanks again to all!

• 26. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                            nealeh Level 5

Val8583 wrote:

First I have to re-edit 'cause my chapter markers are not correct any more.

You probably deleted a small section of the project after setting your marker. Markers are set at time points so (when you delete a section) PRE slides the clips (to the right of the gap) to the left, but the markers stay where they are.

Cheers,
                                                            --
                                                            Neale
                                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 27. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                              First I have to re-edit 'cause my chapter markers are not correct any more.

This begs me to ask (for later), what your Assets are, your source footage? The reason that I ask is that with GOP (Group of Picture) formats, there is not really a Frame, for what we see as Frames. Things like Chapter Markers can be placed approximately where we want them, so long as they are on an I-Frame, with is approximately every 15 +/- "frames." Everything in between is a "difference frame."

Even with full I-frame Assets, when the Timeline is Transcoded to MPEG-2 (a GOP format), Markers can move a bit. We're only talking about ~ 0.5 secs. of screen time, but move they might.

However, it is easy to jog a Marker, when one is doing all sorts of other work. Another aspect is that the Markers are placed on the Timeline, so edits to Clips can move Clips below the Marker. It is also easy to choose the wrong Marker Type.

One of the things that I love about Adobe Encore is that it has a great Flowchart Panel, where one gets a schematic of all Assets and how they are linked in the Project. When one is working with just Markers, it pays to actually sketch out a flowchart, so that they know where everything leads, and then use that, when they Preview and then test their Project. For all major Projects, and even with the Flowchart in Encore, I do a flowchart in Illustrator to make sure that I get it right.

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

• 28. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                I'm new to this forum and don't understand the little "buttons" about the answers.

Val,

Do not feel bad about those buttons. They are new, as of the last forum redo. I've been on the Adobe fora, since before the Internet. They were on NNTP (News Groups back in those dark days), and still do not know all the ins and outs.

Basically, when one has posted a question, they, and only they have four choices. The first is to mark the question as having been answered. The other three are the award of points: 10 pts. for the "correct" answer, i.e. what works, and then 2x 5 pts. for "helpful" answers, i.e. might not be THE final answer, but the poster derived help from those too.

Some folk will not bother to read a post, that has been marked as "Answered," but most overlook that, in case something new was added. I am a person, who will read every post, new to me, or updated, regardless of whether the OP (Original Poster, or Original Post) has an answer. First, I might learn something, and second there might be other parts to the question, that have not been answered.

There is also consternation on what the points mean. I joke with another subscriber to the PrPro forum, that at some pre-determined, though yet un-divulged time, Adobe will pick the poster with the most points. They will then get an all expenses paid trip to San Jose, CA, and be treated to lunch in the official Adobe cafeteria. During that lunch, they will be given 5 mins. with the developers of their favorite program and can tell them what they would like to see added, corrected, or changed. He jokes back that he'll hold out for the Friday lunch, as it is Maine Lobster. Also, he's in Amsterdam, so an "all expenses paid" trip would be a bigger deal for him, than for me in Arizona. My response was that if he wins, but invites me along, I will pay my airlines ticket, and bring the wine for that lobster lunch!

In actuality, none of us has a clue what the points will do. I tried to use some to buy an upgrade to my PrPro, and Adobe wouldn't take 'em? United Airlines was not interested in my Adobe points, when I went to upgrade on a recent flight from PHX to IAD. Not sure what they're good for.

Now, you, as the OP, can go to various responses that you have gotten and assign points, in that 10 (Correct Answer), and up to 2x 5 (Helpful Answer). Besides each reply to your question, there should be a little box to award these. Once all three have been assigned, there are no more on that question.

Also, in case someone is thinking here, one cannot post a question, and then supply the answers to that question to get points. They are tied to one's e-mail address and to their Adobe I.D. You should see no points boxes with any of your own replies.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 29. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

If you do reinstall Nero/Roxio, I'd do so as a Custom Install. When you are given the choices of the various modules to install, I would leave out the packet-writing modules - DLA in Roxio, and InCD in Nero (IIRC). Also, I would omit the "sniffers/watchers" as well. They are for automatically doing things like burning certain folders to DVD-Data on a weekly basis for backups, etc.

If needed, I can go into more detail on DLA/InCD. If you have a problem with your burner not being seen in PrE, that would be a good time to add to what they are, and how they interfere with Adobe programs.

Good luck, and you deserve a break.

Hunt

• 30. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Markers are set at time points so (when you delete a section) PRE slides the clips (to the right of the gap) to the left, but the markers stay where they are

That was one of the possibilities, that I was considering, as well. We were both typing at the same time.

The normal workflow, when editing for a DVD-Video is: Import Assets, and edit Video. Next, edit Audio. Last, do the authoring for the DVD-Video. When one has to go back and do more video editing, great care must be taken so as to not move Clips around, relative to existing Markers.

Good call, and probably the correct one here. We'll need for Val to get back, to determine if that is the cause in this case.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 31. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                                      Paul787 Level 3

So you're saying for certain that Adobe points collected won't amount to anything Bill? And here in

my wildest dreams I was hoping I could redeem them for an Apple iPad once I reached 100. 

• 32. Re: How to burn disc menu to DVD?
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

All that I am saying is that Adobe won't let me pay for software with 'em, and UAL doesn't give a whit about them either.

I'm still shooting for that lobster lunch! In my five minutes with the developers, I will beg for them to issue a stand-alone version of Encore, maybe a slightly "lite" version, as it will not contain Adobe Dynamic Link to PrPro. I'd do this just 'cause it's such a great program, and I cannot recommend it to others, unless they're gonna' buy PrPro too. However, the way Harm Millaard's racking the points up, especially on the Hardware sub-forum, and I think he'll definitely beat me, and most others. Still, maybe my offer for a couple of bottles of Montrachet to accompany the lobster, and me buying the Southwest Airline ticket to San Jose, I will get the invite - maybe I can still yell, "stand-alone Encore!!!" (Actually, I'll just use one of my 8 free SW Airlines tickets, so only the wine from the cellar will cost me... )

Hunt