6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 8:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't start up Premiere

ATCurrie

I installed Production Premium CS4 on my MacBook Pro which has Snow Leopard installed on it.  It's the current 17-inch Macbook pro with the 2.8ghz processor, 4GB, and the discreet graphics card, yet I still get this message.  I stalled Quicktime 7, but it still won't work or startup.  I also tried installing and reinstalling, but that didn't work either.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can't start up Premiere
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I can't see the picture you uploaded but my guess would be that you have to update your copy of Premiere Pro to the latest version (4.2.1) from 4.0.  Assuming the install went correctly you can download the updates from adobe.com and be able to make it current.  I would think that will take care of your problem.

Let me know,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Can't start up Premiere
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

How far does PrPro get, when you launch it? There is a little line of text in the Splash Screen, that tells you what PrPro is loading. It is tiny, and goes by quickly. You might want to look at that line of text. It is likely that PrPro is choking on some element, that it is loading.

One likely hangup can be with VST's, especially "instrument" VST's. Do you have any MIDI, or audio-editing software installed, by another vendor, than Adobe? PrPro is good with handling VST's, in that on each launch attempt, it will add any hanging VST's to the blacklist. If you have many, you might need to re-launch many times, until the VST blacklist is populated. Then, PrPro can launch successfully.

It could be some other element. If the text line goes by too quickly, you can set up your video camera and record that Splash Screen. Rewind and playback. Pause on the very last line of text. That might well be the hanging element, or, it might be the NEXT one - the one that we do not see.

This ARTICLE might give you more background on VST's, in case that is the hangup.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can't start up Premiere
              ATCurrie Level 1

After installing the update, I still can't start up Premier Pro.  Here's the error message I get.

• 4. Re: Can't start up Premiere
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, that indicates that there is an issue with the video card. It could be a corrupted, or badly installed video driver. I'd immediately go the video card's mfgr's site, and download/install the very latest one. Even simple little things, like OS updates, can kill a video driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can't start up Premiere
                  ATCurrie Level 1

Thanks for all the help guys.  After running Adobe Premiere Pro in another account on my machine, (it worked) I realize that it's definitely software related.  I'm just gonna do a reinstall of the OS.  Thanks for all the attempts at helping me. 

• 6. Re: Can't start up Premiere
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for reporting a bit of success. The user account issue has cropped up, and as each OS adds more security, will likely become more prominent in this forum. Most of us run with full Administrator privileges, so we never encounter issues. In an IT-run environment, things can change.

Best of luck,

Hunt