13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 3:03 PM by nealeh

Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7

ian@greathugethings.com

I'm making a credit sequence for a  Web video. I've posted a  five-second clip here that makes pretty clear what I'm hoping to do. The static television  opener looks fine, and the bouncy text bounces fine but is encased by  black rectangles. I know that they're a result of transparency (the  yellow glow around the lettering is set to Screen), but I don't know  what's possible or how much I have to redo.

Here's the  workflow that went into this so far:

The red text (and  yellow glow) was drawn in AICS4 and saved as a document with one  artboard and three layers;

that document was imported  into FlashCS4, made into a symbol, and used in three motion tweens (down  fast, up fast, settle slow) with a transparent background, and exported  as .swf.

That .swf was imported into PE7.

(The  cascading polka-dot background behind the bouncing text is a separate  .swf playing on its own layer in PE7.)

So,  what do you suggest? Do I have to lose the yellow glow - or set it to  'Normal" in AI? If I have to save a new AI document, can I alter the  Flash symbol so that I don't have to redraw the tweens? (I'm not very  adept, and it probably took me half an hour.)

Posting  in AI, Flash and PE7 forums, because I don't know where I should be  making the changes. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 1. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The newer Flash CODEC's will allow Transparency, if one choose Millions of Colors +. The + indicates an Alpha Channel to create the Transparency. With some of the older Flash CODEC's, the Millions +, is not available.

Here is a look at the Export/Share in PrPro 2:

FLV_Alpha_Export.jpg

I'll get a screen-cap for PrE 4.0.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, to my surprise, PrE 4 does not offer that capability, like PrPro does. This surprises me, as both programs use the On2 VP6 Flash CODEC.

Sorry about my earlier mis-statement. I assumed that with the exact same Flash CODEC, that the choices would be the same. Please ignore my comments above.

Mea culpa, mea culpa,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
              ian@greathugethings.com Level 1

You don't need to be excused. Thanks for your input.

Is there a chance that its' possible in PrE7, even though it's not in PrE 4? I'm not even sure where to look.

• 4. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7

I should add that I'm not sure I'll be able to change this as a setting in PrE7, since the black box appears even in my preview (watching the multitrack document within the editor).

• 5. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I was thinking about that. Unfortunately, I only have PrE 4 to test with. Maybe Steve, Neale or another user with more recent versions can tell you for sure. Considering the CODEC used in both PrE and PrPro, it would seem likely. I was surprised that it was not in PrE 4. I am glad that I went out to get you that screen-cap, and discovered my error. Let's hope that the newer versions DO contain the Alpha Channel, as it is so useful with sprites and similar.

One option might be to use one of the FLV editing/conversion programs, like the ones from Moyea. Not sure which formats, one would want to Import into one of those, but they should be able to Export to FLV w/ Alpha Channel. Since I just use PrPro 2.0, I have closely investigated any of their products, beyond the very useful FLV-Importer for Premiere, which works great in PrPro. Note: I linked to but one of their products, but there could well be more, or better.

Good luck, and sorry for the "assumption" on my part. Heck, I often forget whether I am in the PrE, or the PrPro forum!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                    nealeh Level 5

FLV is a supported format in PRE7 but I don't see where to export it from. All I see in File> Export is:

Export1.jpg

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Do you seen any possible setting for Include Transparency, mention of Alpha Channel, or any reference to Millions of Colors +?

In my screen-cap, you can see where PrPro lists it. If Transparency is supported for FLV Export in PrE 7, there should be checkbox, radio button, or similar in maybe a drop-down menu. One would want this to be toggled, as they would only use Transparency for applications, like sprites and similar.

Wish that I could look, but only have PrE 4, which seems to be missing that toggle.

Thanks,

Hunt

PS - this would be in the Share tab, and possibly in an Advanced, or Options tab.

• 8. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                        nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

PS - this would be in the Share tab, and possibly in an Advanced, or Options tab.

Doh!!!

I'd seen from your screen 'Export' so I only looked in the File> Export section. As you expected it is in the Share menu under "Personal Computer" and, after selecting Adobe Flash, "Advanced":

FLV1.jpg

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7

This gets more interesting as I go along.

I think this (very helpful!) discussion is focussing on getting video out of PrE7 - but I suspect that my problem is earlier than that, as this screenshot

screengrab.jpg

indicates that the black box is already in the workflow. Are you suggesting that, though I'm seeing it in the preview, it might just be the case that PrE7 just isn't rendering that alpha channel, and would as it exported to FLV?

(The .swf I'm using for the title animation is posted here.)

• 10. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7

My tone is all hypothetical because when I try this proposed workflow, I can export as .F4V (and I get a file Adobe Media Player says it can't play) or try as .FLV – which PrE7 can't export, throwing up the dialog box, "Invalid Argument!"

• 11. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you! It seemed odd that PrPro had that, used the same CODEC, and PrE had not added it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

How was the FLV in that SWF container created? I would assume that it has the Alpha Channel. Instead of working with the SWF, can you go back to that FLV?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Transparency - AI to Flash to PE7
                                  nealeh Level 5

GHT10924 wrote:

My tone is all hypothetical because when I try this proposed workflow, I can export as .F4V (and I get a file Adobe Media Player says it can't play) or try as .FLV – which PrE7 can't export, throwing up the dialog box, "Invalid Argument!"

VLC media player will open the .F4V file.

Like you I get the 'Invalid Argument!' error if I check the 'Encode Alpha Channel' box. But I think this is because I'm re-encoding a clip already in .SWF format.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale