11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 6:49 AM by the_wine_snob

How to remove motion effect

andrewbt

Still getting to grips with Elements 4, and I thought I'd take advantage of the extra resolution on some HD footage that will end up as SD and set up some zooming and panning across the video using keyframes.  For example I'd set up two keyframes which are one frame apart (A & B) where A is full frame and increase the scale on B and set the position (so it cuts to a zoomed in view).  I'd then set up another pair of key frames 10 seconds later (C & D) with the C having the same scale as B, but in a different position in the frame.  Premiere adjusts the positions of the in-between frames between B & C linearly so it pans, then for D I restore the position and scale to the full frame view.

I was having great fun with this until I got one wrong, and I'm really struggling to remove the effects.  Removing the key frames doesn't seem to do the job, neither does creating key frames with identical settings either side of the section.  I should also admit that I saw a path drawn on the monitor in the offending section and tried to adjust by dragging (big mistake), so now I have a bizarre pan in the middle of everything else which for a while was funny, however now....

Help, the forums and google haven't turned up anything, and I'm sure setting each frame individually isn't the answer, so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andrew

• 1. Re: How to remove motion effect
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

In PrE 4, there is an "eyeball" next to Motion. That toggles the Effect ON and OFF. That should clear things.

This is one task, where I really like PrPro better, in that it has a miniTimeline with all Effects shown (may have to scroll), so that one can align Keyframes perfectly Effect to Effect, like in AfterEffects. Now, maybe this has been added to PrE 8?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to remove motion effect
            nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

This is one task, where I really like PrPro better, in that it has a miniTimeline with all Effects shown (may have to scroll), so that one can align Keyframes perfectly Effect to Effect, like in AfterEffects. Now, maybe this has been added to PrE 8?

There is a mini-timeline in PRE7 for all effects, and you can drag within the timeline to set from/to frames:

time1.jpg

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to remove motion effect
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Cool. That is very similar to the one in PrPro. So glad that it has been added, as it simplifies things so very much. I could not live without that.

Thanks for the tip. Guess I gotta' get PrE 8, just so I'll shut up about things that PrE 4 doesn't have (that were added to later versions).

Now, if only PrE would allow for the exact Audio & Video Track layout... but I digress.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to remove motion effect
                andrewbt Level 1

Thanks Hunt - it was staring me in the face which is probably how I missed it.

• 5. Re: How to remove motion effect
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome!

I encounter that a lot. I'm more used to PrPro (and an older version at that), and sometimes I get lost in PrE and have to look deeply myself. I have also found that it pays me to check things out, rather that just assume that PrE does things like PrPro.

Glad that you found it, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to remove motion effect
                    andrewbt Level 1

I was too quick to breathe a sigh of relief - clicking the eye did remove the motion effect, but when I tried to add another (and reclicked the eye) the original motion settings were still there and I can't easily change them.

Elements seems to distinguish between "virgin" frames which haven't had any motion effect applied, and those which have.

Eg on a clip which hasn't had any editing, if I set two keyframes with different scale levels it will linearly interpolate every frame in between and set the corresponding scale level (looks like a pan/zoom).

If I delete those keyframes, and create new ones in the same place but with different scale settings (or just change the scale settings on the original), it seems to recognise that the in between frames have already had their motion settings changed and doesn't automatically interpolate/update them as it did originally.  Almost like each frame is set as a keyframe.

What I'd like to do is reset the motion settings for every frame in the range (either clear them and start again or have Elements treat them as if it were an unedited clip).

I'm not sure whether I've explained myself too well, but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andrew

• 7. Re: How to remove motion effect
                      andrewbt Level 1

Solved!  In case anyone else finds the thread and is equally as slow as me to find the solution, here's what it was:

I'd manually deleted the keyframes I could see on the timeline but, as I noted earlier, the motion information was still present.  It turned out that there are different views of keyframes on the timeline which I'd not realised.

To get to this, after selecting the clip on the timeline the "right click menu" gave me an option "Show Clip keyframes" with a sub option of "Motion" and further sub options of "Scale" and "Position".  Selecting each of these in turn led to more keyframes being shown on the timeline, and I could right click and delete each of these.  Once I'd done so the clip was back in its original state.

2 hours to find out how to do it, then 2 mins to fix it - isn't it always the way :-)

• 8. Re: How to remove motion effect
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think this is where Neale was trying to take you, for what it's worth.

You could also have just opened the Properties panel, clicked on the Toggle Animation button (the stopwatch) to the right of the Motion listing to turn off keyframing, then right-clicked on Motion and selected Reset.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How to remove motion effect
                          andrewbt Level 1

Yes - kind of obvious now how that could have lead me there more quickly.  Thanks also for the pointer to right clicking the motion after it's deselected -  I get "Delete All effects from Clip" option - exactly what I was looking for.  I'd tried right-clicking a few areas, but that wasn't one of them!  All part of the learning process.  Also learning some far from intuitive points on mixing HD and SD, and having fun with HD2SD.

• 10. Re: How to remove motion effect
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, this is for PrPro, so I do not know how it will affect Keyframes (Motion, or other), but in the mini-Timeline, one can "lasso" all Keyframes, of just a few, and Delete. One could, say choose every other, all, whatever, and completely clear them. As I do not have a later version of PrE, with the mini-Timeline, I cannot test to see how this would translate in PrE. Also, in PrPro, one can Rt-click on individual Keyframes and choose Clear.

I hope that someone can update this specifically for PrE, if for no other reason, than to educate me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to remove motion effect
                              nealeh Level 5

andrewbt wrote:

I'd tried right-clicking a few areas,

I learnt a long long time ago that it is always worthwhile right-clicking in any windows application. It's fascinating what options can be revealed that way!

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children