13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 5:54 PM by mverhaar

crash or error when burning

mverhaar

Hi all

Using PRE8.  Worked great for the first few burns, now I added a new disc menu (general - grid) and some memnu markers.

Now when I go to burn a disc...when it gets to the part where it actually burns to the DVD it says device not suitable...or something to that effect.  Just tried again and the whole thing crashed.  Strange thing is its worked for the last few days.

help

thanks

• 1. Re: crash or error when burning
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The exact error message can be very important. I'd try again, and note the exact wording, as there is likely a clue there.

Next, most burning problems are related to the burner's firmware, the brand of blank media used, or other software getting in the way.

Let's start with the firmware. Are there updates from the mfgr's. Web site? If so, download and install it.

Next, what brand of blank media are you using? Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the two most recommended. Memorex, TDK and recent Ritek, plus all "store brands" are to be shunned at all costs.

If you message is "burner not found," or similar, it's likely that some other program, like Nero, or Roxio, has installed a packet-writing module, and it is telling the OS, that you do not have a burner, but another HDD, where your burner should be.

Please let us know the exact wording on the error message, as that can possibly point to the exact problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: crash or error when burning
            mverhaar Level 1

The exact error message is 'device error - the target device isnt suitable for use'

Im using maxwell dvd +r  discs

The odd thing is every night for the last 3 nights I've been making a DVD with the same software / dvd and its worked fine.   The only I changed in the program since the previous burn is a new DVD disc menu, added for menu markers and a few more scene, doenst seem to be related but thought Id mention it.

Thoughts?

thanks as always

• 3. Re: crash or error when burning
              mverhaar Level 1

interestingly I went back to v7 of my project, one I know worked, put in a maxwell -r disc and it worked.  then went to my current v12 (i save every few hours as a habit) and put in the maxwell -r and it failed.  same place, about 96%, same error.

I also got this "

Premiere element has encountered an error

…\..\src\file cache\file cache.cpp-857"

I', now going to try v8,  v9, v10 etc to see if i can build on one that worked.

help :-)

Cheers

• 4. Re: crash or error when burning
                mverhaar Level 1

interestingly I went back to my older version , v7 that

worked before and tired it with a maxwell -r and it worked.

tried again with v12 (i save version every few hours) and it failed again, same spot near the end at about 96% done, same error.  this time i also has a error windows in the background, that may be related stating

Premiere element has encountered an error

…\..\src\file cache\file cache.cpp-857

will try v8 v9 v10 now to see where the break is.

help :-)

• 5. Re: crash or error when burning
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the report.

I know the Maxell brand, but have never used them. I do not know if they adhere to the Memorex business model, of buying the cheapest disc, from whomever, and just rebranding them with their logo. In the case of Memorex, in a spindle of 100, you could likely find discs from 3-4 different companies, all with the Memorex logo. In that case, you might get good results from 10 discs, and then hit 20 in a row, that just do not work, followed by maybe 10 more, that do.

One thing that you can do is download and install the free burning utility, ImgBurn (make sure to scroll down the page, to get past all of the ads, to the actual download for ImgBurn - lot of ads), and run it. While it will be a bit more lenient, than PrE, when it comes to burning, it has some very useful utilities built in. One will tell you who the actual mfgr. of your blank disc is. That can be great knowledge. You might want go through your spindle and see if all are of the same mfgr.

First thing that I would do is check that your driver has the latest firmware, and if not, install that. ImgBurn will even give you the data on your burner's firmware, and the mfgr's. site will tell you if that is the latest. MS has recently released a lot of updates for various Windows versions, and those can render older firmware obsolete.

Next, I would try your Burn with another blank disc, maybe from down the stack. Compare who made each - the one that is failing you now, and the one from down the stack.

If that does not help, pick up some Verbatim discs, and try those.

If that does not work, then from PrE, choose Burn to Folder. When done, fire up ImgBurn and try to do a physical Burn of that folder (the one created by PrE, named VIDEO_TS). Does this work?

Please report on what you try, and on the results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: crash or error when burning
                    mverhaar Level 1

How do you do this?

If that does not work, then from PrE, choose Burn to Folder. When done, fire up ImgBurn and try to do a physical Burn of that folder (the one created by PrE, named VIDEO_TS). Does this work?

I can burn to a folder...its the fire up ImgBurn I don't understand. thanks

btw-that last message was an error opening a file I suspect.

thanks

• 7. Re: crash or error when burning
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE, from the Share>Disc menu, there is a drop-down, near the top of the dialog screen, that defaults to "Burn to Disc." Click the little arrow, to drop-down the menu, and choose "Burn to Folder." This will do everything, that would happen when you Burn to Disc, with one exception - the VIDEO_TS folder will be written to your HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and not to a DVD blank disc. It will have all of the files inside, IFO's, BUP's and VOB's. Then in ImgBurn, you just Burn Folders, and navigate to that VIDEO_TS folder. You can include the OPEN_DVD folder too, though it is not necessary - only the VIDEO_TS folder is required. Then burn to your blank disc.

In this case, ImgBurn is being used at two levels - the first is as a media testing utility, and the second is hopefully get your disc written and out the door, while you research the burning issue from within PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: crash or error when burning
                        mverhaar Level 1

sorry Bill.

I didnt ask my question well, I meant where is this app called ImgBurn, how do I get to it? is it a seperate app...is it within Pre?

thanks

• 9. Re: crash or error when burning
                          mverhaar Level 1

lastly...I just finisehd trying the burn to folder option and strangly it had the same error near the end.  Will now try v7 v8 etc to see what v has this problem.

• 10. Re: crash or error when burning
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ImgBurn is a free burning utility. It is available from the http://www.imgburn.com/ Web site. Unfortunately, the top portion of that Web page is filled with ads for other programs, and can be very confusing (that is what one must put up with for a great free utility, like ImgBurn).

Here is a look at what you want:

ImgBurn_Download.jpg

Note: the ads in the frame on the left side of the Web page will likely be different, when you visit.

Besides being a great little burning utility, it also will give you info on the blank disc that you have inserted, and will even give you a lot of useful details about your burner and its firmware. That sort of info can be very useful when troubleshooting DVD/BD burning issues.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: crash or error when burning
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              it had the same error near the end.

This could indicate that there is a problem with your HDD (Hard Disk Drive), such as it is too full to write the necessary files (remember, PrE needs much more room to work, than just the size of the files to be written to the DVD). How much defragmented free space is available on your HDD?

If you cannot Burn to Folder, there is something else going on. We need to address that first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: crash or error when burning
                                mverhaar Level 1

went back to v11...did a degrag and all is well now

thanks Bill

• 13. Re: crash or error when burning
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are now going well.

Good luck,

Hunt