7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 8:07 AM by VDOSurfer

Conflict with iTunes

brotherhug Level 1

Opening iTunes when the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer is running causes Quicktime to not be available to Elements. Clicking on a video brings up a message that Quicktime needs to be installed.

The only thing that seems to resolve the issue is to uninstall Quicktime and reinstall it. Repair does not work. Right now, QT will neither uninstall or reinstall leaving me where neither iTunes or Elements will work.

Is there a solution for this other than not using Premiere Elements?

• 1. Re: Conflict with iTunes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not encountered, nor have I read of similar.

In my case, I have never tried to run both iTunes and PrE at the same time. Because video-editing is such an intensive process, I seldom have anything but my Adobe programs open at the same time. If I am not doing audio editing, I just hook up my iPod for music, and keep the headphones in place.

I'll give it a try and see if I get similar. Now, I do have modules, like iTunes Helper disconnected, and on one machine, Bonjour Services too (need that for Extensis Suitcase font manager to run). I also have QT Pro 7.5.5 and an earlier version of iTunes installed. With some recent issues with Adobe a newer versions of QT, I am loathe to allow updates, until I read reports that newer versions of QT have been fixed, with regards to Adobe programs.

After you observed the conflict, have you tried running just PrE by itself? Does it still see QT as not being installed? Same for iTunes alone. Does it still see QT as not being installed?

Have you tried to Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel, focusing on QT?

If you download and go to install the latest version of QT (though it might be the same version, as what you have/had), what happens?

Interesting development - please let us know the answers to the above questions and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Conflict with iTunes
            brotherhug Level 1

Thanks Hunt for your suggestions. I normally do not run iTunes with any Adobe product because of the intense processer use required, but I'm runnng Windows XP on a quad-core processor with 4GB memory and a large cache so it's generally no problem with Lightroom or Photoshop.

I did manage to get Quicktime to install this morning. The installer would not work because PE's auto-analyzer was running on startup and once I stopped it, then the install program would work.

Whatever conflict happens, it makes it that neither iTunes nor PE will work until QT is reinstalled. It's happened 3-4 times in a month and is frustrating.

• 3. Re: Conflict with iTunes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not gotten around to testing both PrE (ver. 4 for me), and iTunes (can't recall the version, but will add that, when I test).

I can see how Auto-Analyzer might get in the way. Many PrE 8 users do turn that off. If I had PrE 8, I would keep it off too.

Thanks for reporting and glad that you got QT to install. I will also report, hopefully within a few hours.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Conflict with iTunes
                brotherhug Level 1

Version 4 had no conflict for me. It only started when I upgraded to 8. For whatever reason it also trashed the PE8 database when that conflict happened losing my tags and project files.

It's working so far today, but I've been careful not to open iTunes.

• 5. Re: Conflict with iTunes
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With PPro3 I don't have anything else open while editing... Premiere (I presume all versions) wants 100% control of the computer while being used

• 6. Re: Conflict with iTunes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I do have to admit that I very often have PrPro (2.0) editing, but also will have Photoshop, Illustrator and maybe even Word, or WordPerfect for Titles. I'll have similar with Encore for authoring: PrPro, Encore and Photoshop. To date, even on the laptop, I have yet to have any issue, but all other programs and Processes are shut down, before doing this.

Have never had iTunes going for any editing session, in PrE, PrPro, or other NLE. There has just never been a need. If I needed to rip iTunes music, I will have done the burn to CD, and then the rip via Audition, prior to starting any editing. That is just my workflow.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Conflict with iTunes
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Don't use Premiere Elements and iTunes at the SAME time. that is the only solution I also can think of (like all others in this thread, and beyond..)

Sorry if this sounds rude, but really no amount of RAM or processor brilliance is "sufficient" for an NLE session. And here we are talking about a 32 bit aplication that does AVCHD editing and BD burn!

Unless it is a 64 bit application, any amount of RAM over 3 GB means nothing. And definitely not to to a 32 bit process, like Premiere Elements. the simple rule is that if it is a 32 bit process, it can "use" only 2 GB. I mentioned 3 GB to add that extra 1 GB for the OS processes and other background processes that one might not be aware consume memory.

I would rather have one of them running to get the best out of each of them.