9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 6:40 PM by Zabeth69

DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?

John Blaustein Level 4

Hi,

This week I migrated from FrontPage to DW.  Yesterday, when I tried to Put or Sync my DW site to the server, I had multiple timeout errors and other FTP errors.  Each time I tried the Sync, DW would Put about 2000 files on the server, then stop with an error message.  I was able to chat with a tech support person at my hosting service and he requested I do a tracert.  He found no connection issues, and then suggested I try another FTP client.  I am familiar with FileZilla, so I tried that.  I was able to copy 26000+ files from my computer to the server without one timeout or other error.

Anyone here have any idea why DW FTP is having trouble?

Thank you.

John

• 1. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

If you go to manage site, in the advanced view, is have you tried checking/unchecking passive FTP and seen if that makes any difference?

• 2. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
            John Blaustein Level 4

Hi SnakEyez02,

Yes, that was the first thing the tech guy suggested.  I checked the Passive box and set the timeout to 300 sec.  Doing both of those improved things a bit.  I got not more timeout errors, but the transfer still stopped with another FTP error.  As I said before, using FileZilla allowed me to copy 26000+ files with not one error.

Perhaps I should note that when copying, I was overwriting my whole site so perhaps that caused the problem.  I'm not sure why that would cause a problem for DW but not for FZ, but maybe.

John

• 3. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
              Zabeth69 Level 5

Don't know what kind of limits or limitations DW has on its FTP; may be some settings you could change.

But if FileZilla worked for 2600+ files, why would you want to do it in DW? I wonder if synchronization is broken above a certain number of files. I always encourage using DW's Files Panel, myself, but if limitations preclude...

Just thinking out loud here.

Beth

• 4. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
                John Blaustein Level 4

Beth,

I'm no expert by any means, but I didn't see any setting to change other than checking Passive and increasing the timeout setting.  Those were the two settings the tech guy at my hosting service suggested.

Yes, FileZilla worked perfectly.  Why do it in DW?  Because I have this thing for wanting things (like software) to work the way they are supposed to work.  So far, for a small number of folders and files, the DW sync command is working just fine.  Now that I have my whole site running in DW and it's all on the server, I hope to never again have to transfer 26000+ files!  And the DW File panel will work for updates, etc.

John

• 5. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
                  Zabeth69 Level 5

Well, sure, I can't argue with that reasoning! I much prefer to work totally within DW too.

That's sure a lot of files, though! Do you think that Syncronization will work with that site?

Beth

Message was edited by: Zabeth69

• 6. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
                    John Blaustein Level 4

Yes it is a lot of files.  I'm a photographer and I provide web galleries for some of my clients.  One client for whom I have worked over several years has multiple web galleries showing something like 6,000 images.  For each image, there is a thumbnail, full size image and html page.  Add that to my other pages and other web galleries and that's how I get to 26000+ pages.  I was surprised myself that there were that many files.  I'd never thought about it before now.

Sync is working fine now that I'm only having it sync a few pages at a time.  While I have not tried it, I suspect if I asked Sync to do the whole site, it would do just fine in comparing the local and server files.  It would find they are all in sync and wouldn't do anything.  I may try that.

John

• 7. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
                      Zabeth69 Level 5

Well, I'm glad you got them up there! Let me know if DW can handle Syncing that size site. Not that I'm coming anywhere close to 2600 files anytime soon!

Do you use any kind of strategy for loading the images? I don't have anything in mind, I'm just curious.

Beth

• 8. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
                        John Blaustein Level 4

Beth,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Do you use any kind of strategy for loading the images?"  If you are asking how I do web galleries, that's easy.... I use Photoshop's web gallery function.  I have just learned how to use Lightroom and from now on I will use that for making galleries.  Whether it's PS or LR, all the gallery files are placed in a folder location of my choice.  The folder contains an index.htlm file.  The gallery program automatically sizes the images for thumbnails and full size images and optimizes them for the web.

I copy the gallery folder into Dreamweaver and then sync or put that folder on the server.  It's that easy.  I just have to point my client to the folder with the gallery.  I would not h ave to copy the folder in DW.  I could simply FTP it to the server, but I like seeing everything I have online in the DW File panel.  Also, sometimes I like to add some text to the gallery that PS or LR didn't do and I can do that if the gallery is in DW.

One nice feature of LR is that it can automatically upload the gallery folder directly to the server, bypassing DW.  I have not used that yet, but I will.

As an aside, a friend recently told me about a wonderful slideshow program called SlideShowPro -- slideshowpro.net.  It's a LR plugin and produces outstanding results with endless customization options.

If this does not answer your question, let me know.

John

• 9. Re: DW FTP didn't work, but FileZilla did - why?
                          Zabeth69 Level 5

John,

I guess when you do it incrementally, it is not so overwhelming as thinking of a 2600 page site all at once!

I have used the lesser model of Slide Show Pro, and it is quite easy to use. I would like to use their Director version, but have no need at this time for it. I have not done a show that required thumbnails. In fact, I acquired it in order to create a birthday slideshow for my brother's 60th. The fun part was scanning all the old family photographs and Christmas cards.

I like that it uses Flash, but you don't have to mess with the images in Flash...you make an XML file listing and "refer" to the images. Because it's a Flash extension, there is a long list of variation/adjustments that you can make, including panning and things that I didn't find useful. But captions, titles, etc., are all eminently add-able.

Your Photoshop work flow looks pretty efficient. I don't have as much experience with Photoshop as I do with Fireworks. I do less with images in the photographic sense than with images in the graphics sense.

Nice chatting with you...

Beth