3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 2:28 AM by Mylenium

how do you enable standard screen mode in Illustrator CS4???

joric Level 1

I'm coming from Photoshop CS4 and I'm new to Illustrator.

Can someone please tell me how I can open my files in Illustrator without the window being so huge.

In Photoshop CS4, I have three options: "STANDARD SCREEN MODE, FULL SCREEN MODE WITH MENU BAR, and FULL SCREEN MODE"

Doesn't Illustrator have these three viewing options?

I just don't want the window to be so huge. I would like to limit the size of the window to the size of my image, exactly as in Photoshop.

In full screen mode, I also wish I could change the background color of the window to black (as in Photoshop) as it would be much less straining on the eyes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

- Nick

• 1. Re: how do you enable standard screen mode in Illustrator CS4???
          Junk Mailer Level 3

I'm still on CS3, doesn't the "F" key still toggle between available 

viewing modes in CS4? Give it a try and see if it helps.

-JM

• 2. Re: how do you enable standard screen mode in Illustrator CS4???
            joric Level 1

Hi JM,

Yes, the "F" key toggles. But in Photoshop, the surrounding window is never bigger than the artwork itself in "Standard Screen Mode".

Why is the surrounding window (white) in Illustrator not black as it is in Photoshop? It would be much easier on the eyes.

Is there no window to change the surrounding window color in Illustrator?

Thanks

• 3. Re: how do you enable standard screen mode in Illustrator CS4???
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I just don't want the window to be so huge. I would like to limit the size of the window to the size of my image, exactly as in Photoshop.

You are working on a canvas/ artboard, not within an "image". Since you can place objects arbitrarily in relation to that artboard, even by large numbers outside of it, having it display in a cropped manner doesn't exactly make sense, if nothing else, at least for being able to select content. I don't really see your problem and from my fading memory of CorelDraw and Freehand I don't remeber them doing it differently, either, nor is InDesign. You just have to get used to it. For programs that are/ were hardcopy-centric in the first place, it also makes no sense to have a background color other than white. Arguably they could allow users to change it and maybe there is already some way to do it that I'm not aware of, but it's logical to me...

Mylenium