3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 7:52 AM by the_wine_snob

No audio from imported mp3

Robert P Sutton

I imported a mp3 file in my project and when I play it there is no sound.  I added to the soundtrack track and it does show the audio levels, but I am getting no sound.  I also tried previewing it from the organizer and it shows the audio levels for the file, but it is still completely silent. I have tried raising the volume of the soundtrack with audio mixer and no luck.  The file does work since I can play it fine outside of Premiere Elements. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

• 1. Re: No audio from imported mp3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First question - how do other Audio files play in PrE? You can Import one of the WAV files from Windows, just to check there, in case you do not have another file handy.

That will tell us whether to concentrate on this MP3 (and maybe others), or whether we need to look at the Audio Hardware settings in PrE.

Please let us know how the test goes, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No audio from imported mp3
            Robert P Sutton Level 1

I imported a WAV file and it played fine. I also noticed the MP3s that were install with the program worked so I tried importing another MP3 and that one worked as well.  I guess there must be something that PrE does not like about the first file I imported. I will have to see if there is a difference in it.

Update: The encoding was very similar to the MP3 that worked (i.e. a slightly lower bit rate). I decided to re-encode the file into AAC and that plays fine. Weird, but at least it now works.  Thanks for pointing me in a direction that I could find a way to get it to work.

• 3. Re: No audio from imported mp3
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Robert,

Good work and thanks for reporting. Now, we can concentrate on those MP3's. Let's step back for just a moment. MP3's are heavily compressed Audio streams, and can also contain other things, like Album Art, and even lyrics. Often, it's the extra content, that gets in the way, though not always. Some otherwise "clean" MP3's are just problematic.

Now, when faced with MP3's, my first course of action is to use an Audio-editing program to convert these to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit. I use Adobe Audition, but the freeware editor, Audacity, will do this well too. It is a great little tool. Just Open your MP3 in it, and then Save, choosing PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) and choose 48KHz 16-bit (the Sample Rate and Bit-Depth for DVD). Import that WAV file into your video-editor, and you are good to go.

Note: because of the initial heavy compression used in MP3's, much of the fidelity has been lost. Converting to WAV will NOT restore that lost fidelity, as it is gone forever. However, it will NOT hurt the file any more, and allow it to be used more universally.

I only use MP3's, without conversion, for tiny SFX files - never for music, speech or anything else. Even for longer "ambient sound" tracks, I always convert. I NEVER Save_As MP3, because I do not want that heavy compression.

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt